Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Update
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sjhenry1075
So I finally got my 71 running. First time it’s been started in roughly 30 years. Now that it’s running I want to get it running perfect but I need a dwell meter. Anyone have any recommendations of the meters you have?
mankowski
Congratulations on starting your project after 30 years! What a great day! It would be great to see some pictures and hear more of the story.

I have an old analog dwell meter that I picked up used probably 35 years ago. Probably could find one on craigslist cheaply. It still works fine, but you might consider going to Pertronix electronic ignition if you want the car to be running perfectly. They are much more reliable plus no more work to adjust the point gap and dwell.
sjhenry1075
I actually tried a Pertronix, but was never able to get it to work correctly. With the points, the car fired right up. I'd like to keep it as close to original as possible, but finding a dwell meter is turning out to be quite a task.
crash914
I should have one here if you are ever in the area.
Herb
Bleyseng
With new points just set the gap to .016" with a feeler gauge (slight resistance) then set the timing to 28 degrees @ 3500 rpms with the dizzy hoses off and plugged. Idle speed gets set after the engine is hot so don't fool with the idel mix and speed until then as it takes a while for the AAR valve to close all the way.
sjhenry1075
QUOTE(crash914 @ Apr 20 2020, 09:37 AM) *

I should have one here if you are ever in the area.
Herb

That would be awesome! I can be "in the area" anytime..
sjhenry1075
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 20 2020, 09:51 AM) *

With new points just set the gap to .016" with a feeler gauge (slight resistance) then set the timing to 28 degrees @ 3500 rpms with the dizzy hoses off and plugged. Idle speed gets set after the engine is hot so don't fool with the idel mix and speed until then as it takes a while for the AAR valve to close all the way.

AAR? How do you keep the car at 3500 to set the timing? I'm assuming this is just something I'll need an extra set of hands for.
76-914
QUOTE(sjhenry1075 @ Apr 20 2020, 06:18 AM) *

I actually tried a Pertronix, but was never able to get it to work correctly. With the points, the car fired right up. I'd like to keep it as close to original as possible, but finding a dwell meter is turning out to be quite a task.

That's odd. I've never heard that one. Usually it's the guy that didn't read the instructions and fried the Pertronix. They stand behind their products. If you feel you received a defective unit, call them. Great product support. Place a WTB: ad for a Dwell Meter in our Classified Ads section. Should be lots out there from the guys that have already switched over to Pertronix.
sjhenry1075
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 20 2020, 10:22 AM) *

QUOTE(sjhenry1075 @ Apr 20 2020, 06:18 AM) *

That's odd. I've never heard that one. Usually it's the guy that didn't read the instructions and fried the Pertronix. They stand behind their products. If you feel you received a defective unit, call them. Great product support. Place a WTB: ad for a Dwell Meter in our Classified Ads section. Should be lots out there from the guys that have already switched over to Pertronix.

I understand and thought maybe I had fried it. I pulled it from the box, and using the supplied directions I put it into the distributor. I was very careful not to leave the key "on", as I read that it would fry the unit. I went to start and got nothing. I checked for a spark and there was nothing. I checked the wires since I know solid core wires are not compatible but I did not have solid core wires. I double checked to see if I had assembled it correctly and everything looked correct. I removed the Pertronix and put in a brand new set of points/condenser and got a spark.

Maybe I did fry the Pertronix, and I plan on contacting customer support. At this time I just want a dwell meter. Thank you for the advice to post something on the classifieds (WTB).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.