Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '76 Rectangular Fog light Hardware
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dagersh
Hi Guys,

So continuing to work on my '76. I went in to change out the Fog Light bulbs and install yellow lenses. I have done this on countless 911's, but I could not get the frame to settle in and have the Oval Machine Screws find their thread on the casing. The rubber of the bumper cover makes it a tight squeeze. I could get the rubber seal and lens to seat nicely, but I could not get frame to align. I then figured let me take the screws and sleeves off the frame, install the sleeves through the rubber gasket, get the frame to seat in and then install the screws. Well, one screw and sleeve would not separate, as it was pretty stripped somewhere within the sleeve. The undamaged screw and sleeve thread into each other smoothly. On the stripped set, I attempted to give a little more pressure to get the threads to bite, but I snapped the screw within the sleeve.

So, after much searching on this site, Pelican and Google I am trying to find replacement hardware. No luck. In trying to piece together a hardware store run I am running into some confusion on what I need to replace the broken hardware.

The screw is an Oval Head, Phillips, 36mm. The pitch I am sure is .7mm, but I cannot figure out what the diameter is! I believe it is a 4mm, but on checking against my tap and die set, a 4mm x .7 seems too tight, and will not thread on nicely. As far as I can tell a 5mmx.7 does not exist?

Obviously, the easiest course would be to source a new screw and sleeve. Does anyone know where to find them? Or has anybody run into this issue and figured out an alternate?

Thanks.

Michael G
mepstein
Is this the screw that Mark said was made of aluminum? If so, 914rubber has them. @Mikey914
dagersh
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 20 2020, 05:31 PM) *

Is this the screw that Mark said was made of aluminum? If so, 914rubber has them. @Mikey914

Not sure. That thread sis not come up in any of my searches. I am in touch with Mark on something else, I will ask him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.