Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ATE Brake Stampings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
D1A3
Pulled my rear calipers to get rebuilt and noticed that they have numbers on them that are in some cases the same, and in others different. The originals on the rear of my '76 2.0 are both stamped "32" on the e-brake side of the caliper and "19" and "22" on the other side. I have another random rear caliper I picked up somewhere that is stamped "26" on the e-brake side and 19 on the other half.

Does anyone know what these numbers mean and if it's important that they match?

Thanks,
Jason
mepstein
I don't know what they mean (production batches, maybe?) but it's very common to have non number matching sides.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 20 2020, 07:44 PM) *

I don't know what they mean (production batches, maybe?) but it's very common to have non number matching sides.

I'll be honest I'm not absolutely sure for ATE parts, but, to me but they look like casting mold numbers.

Not uncommon for castings to have mold number for quality purposes. When a batch of bad parts begin to turn up in the production process it gives you a way to tell which set of molds (or sand cast patterns) have worn out and need rework or replacment.
D1A3
Thanks guys, that is what I was thinking, but just wanted to see if anyone had a different idea before I send them off.
davep
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 20 2020, 03:59 PM) *

I'll be honest I'm not absolutely sure for ATE parts, but, to me but they look like casting mold numbers.

Yes, mold #'s.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.