Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gturner008
Hello everyone. I have just purchased my first 914. It’s a 1976, ivory white, 39k miles from new. One previous owner.

It’s the car off BaT - from a few weeks back ($18k - RNM). Collect this afternoon.

I inspected the car for 3 hours, including on a ramp. It is super original and in great condition. Never been painted. Zero rust. My plan is to detail it back to factory stock.

Very few jobs to do. The rear springs look saggy. Might need to change these. Other than a service, should be good. It sat in a garage since 2004 - only 100 miles last 16 years. I’ll need to check all rubber parts - but look ok.

Anyone got any advice for me? I have a 72 911, but know nothing about 914. What’s recommendations on things to check and do? I appreciate any advice as a raw new owner. It’s worth looking at the BaT listing. The one with the 914 decals on the doors. These were applied by the selling dealer in 1976. One owner since then. I’m torn on either removing (and risk paint issues) or leaving. Any thoughts?

Thank you for allowing me to join. Live in Toronto. Gary
JOEPROPER
welcome.png
Pictures... Is that the car in the snow??
gturner008
QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Apr 21 2020, 06:49 AM) *

welcome.png
Pictures...

Let me take some tomorrow after I collect today. Easiest thing is to go look at the BringaTrailer listing. There are 150 photos
sb914
QUOTE(gturner008 @ Apr 21 2020, 05:44 AM) *

Hello everyone. I have just purchased my first 914. It’s a 1976, ivory white, 39k miles from new. One previous owner.

It’s the car off BaT - from a few weeks back ($18k - RNM). Collect this afternoon.

I inspected the car for 3 hours, including on a ramp. It is super original and in great condition. Never been painted. Zero rust. My plan is to detail it back to factory stock.

Very few jobs to do. The rear springs look saggy. Might need to change these. Other than a service, should be good. It sat in a garage since 2004 - only 100 miles last 16 years. I’ll need to check all rubber parts - but look ok.

Anyone got any advice for me? I have a 72 911, but know nothing about 914. What’s recommendations on things to check and do? I appreciate any advice as a raw new owner. It’s worth looking at the BaT listing. The one with the 914 decals on the doors. These were applied by the selling dealer in 1976. One owner since then. I’m torn on either removing (and risk paint issues) or leaving. Any thoughts?

Thank you for allowing me to join. Live in Toronto. Gary

welcome.png It has rust,you just haven’t found it yet. They all do !
Frankvw
Great, late model Ivory ! Have fun with your 914. Recommendation I can give is to check the fuel lines if it was not driven for a long time. I found this community to be very helpfull in all matters so just post updates and questions. Enjoy !
BENBRO02
George at Automobile Atlanta just got 100 sets of stock rear springs made if you need them. welcome.png
gturner008
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Apr 21 2020, 07:25 AM) *

George at Automobile Atlanta just got 100 sets of stock rear springs made if you need them. welcome.png

That’s great news about springs. I’ll order some. Will I need a spring compressor to do the job?

Regarding zero rust, I’m totally with the comment about finding it.

However, I’ve been around Porsche for 25 years now, and I’ve never seen a car like this 914. It was Ziebert’d from new - and the impact that treatment had is astonishing. Helped by the fact it lived its entire life in dry warm US states and always garaged and cleaned (and serviced). And 39k miles.

I’ve been over the car with a fine tooth comb. Not seen a spec of corrosion. Anywhere. I’m not looking at the car through rose tinted glasses - I checked out the car throughly before buying. I’d have walked if I was not sure the car was perfect.

The BaT photos by the seller were good. The car is much better than the pictures. I found absolutely nothing in, under or on the car.

I know it sounds crazy to say zero rust. I was very sceptical when I went to see the car. But I was gob smacked when I inspected.

Let me get the car home today, and take detailed pictures. I’ll gladly share.

Thanks for advice about fuel lines. I’ll do research and take a good look.
Cairo94507
welcome.png Congratulations on a great buy. I am sure you are already on top of this to get your car back on the road. Fuel system flush, fuel filter, consider replacing the fuel lines in the tunnel with a set of stainless steel lines, brake fluid flush and maybe replace the 4 soft brake lines at the wheels, rebuild the calipers, fresh pads, pack wheel bearings, drain the transaxle and put in new gear oil, complete engine service including valve adjustment, vacuum lines, belts, plugs, wires, filters, etc. Look for any signs of mice and their nests, lubricate all hinges, locks, check all lights. Full wash and wax. Drive the heck out of it. beerchug.gif
gturner008
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 21 2020, 07:58 AM) *

welcome.png Congratulations on a great buy. I am sure you are already on top of this to get your car back on the road. Fuel system flush, fuel filter, consider replacing the fuel lines in the tunnel with a set of stainless steel lines, brake fluid flush and maybe replace the 4 soft brake lines at the wheels, rebuild the calipers, fresh pads, pack wheel bearings, drain the transaxle and put in new gear oil, complete engine service including valve adjustment, vacuum lines, belts, plugs, wires, filters, etc. Look for any signs of mice and their nests, lubricate all hinges, locks, check all lights. Full wash and wax. Drive the heck out of it. beerchug.gif

Ah, that’s a lot of things to add to my to do list. Many thanks. I’ll buy the parts. Is AA the best place to shop?

My plan is to get it to show standard. That’s going to need a lot of hours and effort, but I think it’ll be worth it. Given it’s original and never messed with - and original paint, it’s a great starting point.

One quick question. The dash pad on passenger side has some minor dents in the foam. If I remove the dash, do you think I can retain the vinyl and find a way to replace the foam backing?
76-914
You've been around Porsche's for 25 years and you bought a 914. Did you learn nothing in those 25 years. av-943.gif agree.gif With others comments. Check fuel lines carefully and replace with SS lines if that hasn't been done. Once your sure it won't burn to the ground flush your old brake fluid with new fluid. After you know it will stop drive it like you stole it. welcome.png
Coondog
Welcome, Tangerine racing for your SS fuel lines. Lots of 914 vendors out there. I have bought from most of them, just do a little research and listen to these forum members there pretty smart......., grouphug.gif
76-914
QUOTE(gturner008 @ Apr 21 2020, 07:11 AM) *

Ah, that’s a lot of things to add to my to do list. Many thanks. I’ll buy the parts. Is AA the best place to shop?

My plan is to get it to show standard. That’s going to need a lot of hours and effort, but I think it’ll be worth it. Given it’s original and never messed with - and original paint, it’s a great starting point.

One quick question. The dash pad on passenger side has some minor dents in the foam. If I remove the dash, do you think I can retain the vinyl and find a way to replace the foam backing?

914rubber.com is your friend for the dash and most 914 parts. beerchug.gif
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 21 2020, 07:45 AM) *

QUOTE(gturner008 @ Apr 21 2020, 07:11 AM) *

914rubber.com is your friend for the dash and most 914 parts. beerchug.gif

agree.gif "914Rubber" Great resource for our wacky cars...cool dudes!!!! piratenanner.gif

Oscar
AZBanks
welcome.png Welcome. Congrats on finding a clean example for your first 914.
SirAndy
QUOTE(sb914 @ Apr 21 2020, 05:59 AM) *
It has rust,you just haven’t found it yet. They all do !

agree.gif
iankarr
welcome.png

Great looking car. Since you're a newbie, these may come in handy...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmCY...PWMX9ecEK-qsKZs

Welcome to the addiction!

Ian
kroelofsen
Enjoy the ride!!! welder.gif beerchug.gif
911GT2
welcome.png

Welcome! I'd love to see some pics!

Never mind it hink it's this one!
gturner008
QUOTE(911GT2 @ Apr 21 2020, 11:12 AM) *

welcome.png

Welcome! I'd love to see some pics!

Never mind it hink it's this one!

Correct. This is the one. It’s the zero rust one! Let’s see once I get the chance to thoroughly check it over
jfort
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 21 2020, 05:58 AM) *

I second the stainless steel fuel lines and the brake lines
914e
I would always replace the brake hoses first. It is just too tempting to take short drive. All four of mine failed at the same time. They didn't even look that bad from the outside. Make sure the parking brake works correctly is the second.
jagalyn
Nice car. Congratulations!
second wind
I just looked at your new car on BAT...OMG!!! What a beautiful car! The headlight lines and such make me want to cry as it is so hard to get them to look that good. Obviously a cream puff. And for the price you should be arrested as you stole it but no offense to the seller. I just sold my son's '89 944 Turbo for way less than it is worth but hey, I am surviving the virus. I love your car....drive careful and enjoy. You're in the club!!
gg
gturner008
QUOTE(second wind @ Apr 21 2020, 09:56 PM) *

I just looked at your new car on BAT...OMG!!! What a beautiful car! The headlight lines and such make me want to cry as it is so hard to get them to look that good. Obviously a cream puff. And for the price you should be arrested as you stole it but no offense to the seller. I just sold my son's '89 944 Turbo for way less than it is worth but hey, I am surviving the virus. I love your car....drive careful and enjoy. You're in the club!!
gg

Thanks everyone for welcoming me to the 914 club. I’m delighted to be part.

Just collected the car and made the one hour drive home to Toronto. Delighted with it. Lots of little things to sort out. Like it drives pulling to the right. The clutch needs adjusting. Tires are 20 years old and are rock hard and vibrate. The gear change takes a bit of getting used to. The steering column bush must have an issue as there’s too much play. Tick over seems high at 1k rpm.

But everything works. No noise from the targa top. Heater works.

Feedback on the zero rust claim. I’ve spent an hour on my ramp trying to find any rust at all. I have to say, despite my scepticism, I can honestly report there is not one spec of rust anywhere. Absolutely like it left the factory. With low miles, warm dry states, always garaged, Zeibert treatment when new, one owner and lots of service history. It’s remarkable.

My list of jobs to do is quite long. But feel the starting point is a great foundation. It’ll take me a few months of work, but feel the end result will be worth it.

I will share pictures as I progress. Again, thank you for all the notes and feedback. This newbie has a lot to learn and there’s clearly many experts here on this site and forum.

second wind
Everything you mention is just a whole lot of nuthin'. New tires and balance and alignment...go for quality....a little clutch cable twist here and a little shift shaft lubrication there and you are brand new again. Only took me 10 years to fix my car....you are only in for a few days so far. After a year or so your car will be really dialed in....you can do it! If you haven't found any rust so far you are doing great. Most of us have it jump out on to us and we get sick like the virus....you are blessed. You really can't beat the car you bought...it is awesome.
Later,
gg
Specracer
In addition to the list you have going:

On your shifter, check the bushings. They are plastic, and get brittle and break from age (vs mileage).

After you change the fuel filter, and get fresh fuel running through the system, I would send out the injectors for cleaning and calibration.
gturner008
I've been through all the extensive paperwork on the car. From 1976 to current date. All invoices back up the 39,500 miles. It did the 39,000 miles from 1976 to 2004, when it went into storage.

The car received 19 maintenance services between 1976 and 2004 - usually main dealer and some independents. That's a lot of oil and filters. Other than a clutch replacement in 2007 - there was no major issues with the car.

The Ziebart treatment (for $120) in 1976 has worked wonders. There is still all the oil and treatments in place today. I think this is a major contributor to the car's condition. That, and the fact that the one previous owner, never drove it during winter - and always garaged.

I've drawn up a list of 18 things that will now be done (from springs, bushes, fuel lines etc) - to get the car back to tip top condition. As someone said, all little tiny jobs - I'm lucky. I know a lot of 914 owners sweat blood and tears on their purchases - I fell lucky here. I've reached out to the previous owner - thanking her for looking after the car so well for so many years.
campbellcj
welcome.png Wow it really sounds like you found a time capsule, congrats and enjoy!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.