Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welder advice, yes 914 related :-)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
So, I sold my racecar and now have some $$ to burn. shades.gif I recently upgraded my harbor freight sand blasting cabinet to a bigger / nicer model. Now next on my list is a good mig welder. Its been a looooooong time since I have done any real sort of welding.

Looking for recommendations on what others have used while doing restoration work on your 914s. I have a 74 Bumble Bee project that will need new floor pans, battery tray and more I am sure once I really start digging into it. My budget is $1500 max (new) or the best used one I can find for less.

I know thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif Here is my bumble bee project. blink.gif
Tdskip
I bought a mid range Hobart MIG and really love it. It’s worth the money to get a good one, I find that making sure I can run on home power opens up a lot of places to use it, and definitely gas.

bkrantz
I like my 120 v Hobart MIG. Not much power, so it is easier to use on sheet metal. I also have an Eastwood TIG, that handles thick stock.
bbrock
I also run a 120v Hobart Handler I've owned about 35 years.
Unobtanium-inc
I had a Miller for about 15 years and this year it starting sputtering out. I picked up a Vulcan at Harbor Freight. I waited for a sale and it was about $700. It came highly recommended by my metal guy. It is impressive and it's multi use so I can TIG with it once I learn that, which I will to work with aluminum.

https://www.harborfreight.com/welding/welde...nput-63621.html
tygaboy
If your primary focus is sheet metal work, take a look at the Miller Millermatic 141. It's got some nice features that work well for the typical repairs you're likely to make.

https://www.millerwelds.com/equipment/welde...g-welder-m00486

I have the 211 model but I do some structural work on thicker material for the yard art stuff. That said, if I was buying again, I think I'd go with the 141.

@Cary had the 141, or maybe an earlier, similar model. Maybe he can weigh in on his experience with it?
cary
Yes I use a Miller 141 everyday. Love it for sheet metal, I have a 220v 180 too.
But I'm welding 16ga on Matt's #88 right now and it works like a dream.
Andyrew
Any of the big names with gas. 110 will be fine...

I've welded some crazy stuff with my 110. It's 90% practice and 10% welder...

Oh and grinders are amazing tools...
911GT2
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 21 2020, 08:46 PM) *

agree.gif

Practice is more important. But if your machine is too cheap you won't be able to get some good welds in.
Mark Henry
Over 25 years with a Canox 130, which is a Miller 130. The machine itself has never been serviced but I think I'm on the 2nd whip now. That said it's been used hard.

You want a argo mix gas and at least a 4 foot bottle.
mb911
Hobart and Miller are the same company just as an FYI .. I like the hobart handler as a very nice inexpensive welder for auto related parts.. There is Nothing on a 914 that the handler can't weld. And at 500 it saves some good money that can go towards sheet metal.. Garold make the decision will you be doing any other types of welding projects in the future that would require anything else?

The lincoln mp210 is a really nice multi process welder.. Note I am a national trainer for NC3/ Lincoln welding instructor education so I have used a wide variety of equipment..

My vote budget 500 and never look back..
jaredmcginness
I've completed a floor and long replacement with a used $300 craigslist Lincoln 140 MIG. Love it and easy to use.
Lg914
We have used the Eastwood 250 and the Eastwood 250i multiprocess. Both work well. All their welders have a 3 year warranted. But even better is their lifetime satisfaction guarantee. They may not be high end professional but their price point and quality are good.
We had been using their 250 multiprocess for two years and liked it. But my wife and I decided we wanted some more features tor the tig welding. So they took it back, after having it for two years, without question. Highly Recommend. They even have a 20% off coupon this wine for use on one item. The store for pickup is in Alsip Illinois. Not very far from you. You can call the store and talk to them.
Andyrew
Oh I just saw your 1500 budget... way to big of a budget..

With that kind of a budget I would really consider Unobtainiums option of a multi use welder. Having the option to tig something years down the line is really good.

Eastwood has something like it for a decent price as LG mentioned

Just know real estate becomes really important with big machines like a welder.

Personally I would jump on something like the Vulcan.
mepstein
I imagine some of the budget will be used for gas, tools, materials and protective equipment.

welder.gif beerchug.gif
Rand

Good welds don't get grinders.
preach
I run a Hobart 175 in 220v. Does everything I have needed from roll cages to sheet metal. Bought it when they went from 175 to 185. Paid right around $500. Many parts say Miller on them, more plastic bits than a Miller and the equivalent Miller is infinitely adjustable whereas the Hobart only have a few settings (absolutely fine for me).

I want to learn how to TIG.
Nogoodwithusernames
I've personally had the little Home Depot version of Lincoln's MIG welder in my garage for probably 6 years or so. It's always been just fine for my little projects and have had no issues with it so far. If I were to get another I would try and get one with a little more adjustability but for <$500 I am not complaining. So far I've run 100% CO2 and never mixed gas and my welds are usually fairly clean once it's dialed in for material I'm welding. Here's a photo of a recent sheet metal project for my VW T4 conversion.

Tacked together, probably about 20+" of weld on that piece.
Click to view attachment
Finished product.
Click to view attachment

Also @Unobtanium-inc you may or may not have any luck welding aluminum with that. AC current is ideal for aluminum though you can weld some kinds (read alloys) with DC, just make sure you do some research before buying material and you should be okay.
Andyrew
QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 22 2020, 08:23 AM) *

Yes they do! Chassis sheet metal and body panels get grinders. Good welds don’t have impurities, have excellent penetration and low splatter...
Andyrew
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 22 2020, 08:22 AM) *

I imagine some of the budget will be used for gas, tools, materials and protective equipment.

welder.gif beerchug.gif

Good point, a tank will be $200, helmet $50 from harbor freight (yes it’s good enough), and a couple sets of glove $40. $100 in steel to build your own welding cart (this should be the first project.....) $30 for a grinder and $30 for a some cutting disks, grinding disks, and assorted flap wheels.

Harbor freight is your friend for the first timer.

Rand
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 22 2020, 10:32 AM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 22 2020, 08:23 AM) *

Yes they do! Chassis sheet metal and body panels get grinders. Good welds don’t have impurities, have excellent penetration and low splatter...

I get it on sheet metal butt joints where you need a perfectly flat finish. I'm just saying the best welds are beautiful and shouldn't need grinding because they are admirable art. Too many people eagle crap and have to use the grinder to hide their embarrassment.
IronHillRestorations
If you don't have 240v you can get one that will operate on 120 and 240, it might cost more, but adding a 240v service could get pricey.

A Lincoln, Hobart, Miller will always be a safe choice, and you can get replacement parts. Nice looking imports will often leave you stranded a few years from now if you need a repair part.

I've got a 110v Century that I got in '93 that does fine on thin stuff, and has infinitely adjustable voltage and wire speed, which can really help on rust repairs.
jtprettyman
First off, I am an official CSOB. Also needs to be 120V compatible for my use.

First welder was the HF flux-core welder that I bought and modified to be a true DC electrode negative welder, along with a large capacitor. Worked well after mods for what it was, excellent penetration (verified with cut and etch) and much less spatter. Still too much spatter for me, and lots of clean up.

Upgraded to the HF Titanium 140 along with a medium size Ar/CO2 cylinder from my local weld supply house. $349 for the welder, $100 for the cyl and first fill. Runs very nicely with good, clean welds. Really like it, and meets my CSOB needs.

porschetub
QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 23 2020, 03:23 AM) *

You have to be kidding...right dry.gif ,show us some of your welds that didn't need a "dress up" with a grinder,a weld with good prep and penetration always needs to be cleaned up,some of the guys on here blow me away with their skills and many aren't proffesionals,just saying.
porschetub
Bought new BOC 180 smootharc mig last year,real happy ,will do heavy stuff and is really good for stitching light stuff,got discount on it for $740 which in my country is a killer price.
Click to view attachment
Forrestderp
Spend a little extra and get the esab rebel 215 emp, can run on 110 or 220, can stick, tig and wire with it and do all of them well. Get a good quality 4.5" dewalt rat tail grinder, they last me about 8 months working pipeline, should last a lifetime for a hobbyist and have plenty of grunt over the cheaper tools.
There is nothing more frustrating than fighting janky tools.
mb911
QUOTE(Forrestderp @ Apr 23 2020, 04:28 AM) *

Spend a little extra and get the esab rebel 215 emp, can run on 110 or 220, can stick, tig and wire with it and do all of them well. Get a good quality 4.5" dewalt rat tail grinder, they last me about 8 months working pipeline, should last a lifetime for a hobbyist and have plenty of grunt over the cheaper tools.
There is nothing more frustrating than fighting janky tools.

Agreed.. If your a pipeliner then you are in the know and will understand my point below

I am always amazed how many will be home hobbyist welders and not have professional experience but yet give sometimes professional insight.. I compare it to just because I can write a paper does not mean I am a journalist..

My point is that buy name brand when ever you can for welding equipment.. Eastwood is not name brand just am fyi.

ESAB, Lincoln, Miller, Hobart should be the go to when buying welding equipment unless you are on a tight budget or realize you will be welding 10-15 hours a year..

Off the soap box now.
gereed75
Glad that the ESAB came up. After some internet study, the Fabricator would have been my choice until I picked a Hobart Handler on local C list at a great price.

May still do it because I would like to learn TIG. So enjoy welding!
Gatornapper
Sorry for repeating myself, as I've stated this long ago on another thread - this came to me one day when I was welding:

"You know why welding is my favorite hobby?

1. You don't gotta wait for the glue to dry.

2. When you screw up - which I frequently do - you just pull out the cutting torch and grinder, and nobody knows....."

GN

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 21 2020, 10:46 PM) *

Rand
QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 22 2020, 08:19 PM) *

You have to be kidding...right dry.gif ,show us some of your welds that didn't need a "dress up" with a grinder,a weld with good prep and penetration always needs to be cleaned up,some of the guys on here blow me away with their skills and many aren't proffesionals,just saying.

Not kidding. Good welds are art. Sure there may be residuals to clean up. But a good weld NEVER needs a grinder to knock off turds. The highest praise a welder gets is when someone says it's beautiful. Keep your grinder away from my welds.
Nogoodwithusernames
QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 22 2020, 09:19 PM) *

If that's the case then are you volunteering to come grind my welds? Granted this is TIG but still wink.gif welder.gif
Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
@nogoodwithusernames

I think you only proved the point that some welds are art. welder.gif Beautiful job. pray.gif
Rand
Nice. Anybody tries to bring a grinder around that, I'll chase them off.
GaroldShaffer
Thanks for the input guys. I figured there would be a lot of opinions and I was right. My welding will fall under the "hobby" welder type. No plans to do anymore than welding sheet metal for my project (oh and make my own cart)

Thinking end of May before I get serious and purchase as I have a few other projects (aka honeydo list) I need to finish first.

beer.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif welder.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.