Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How can I make this fit?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jack20
I searched this topic but couldn’t find info on this final fit.
Where the curved targa bar trim meets the thin aluminum strip under the sail panel, the strip slips under the trim, almost. I can’t get it pushed in far enough so the small tab doesn’t show. Any clues? I’ve trimmed the sail panel as close as I can without the paint showing. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jack
This is what it’s supposed to look like:
Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Looks great to me. I think that's about as good as it gets. smilie_pokal.gif
jack20
Not my car. This is what I want it to look like. Can’t get the side trim in far enough to make it look like the picture.
Thanks For responding Mark.
Jack
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 22 2020, 01:36 AM) *

Looks great to me. I think that's about as good as it gets. smilie_pokal.gif

agree.gif Pretty much.

There are some that fit bettter - some worse. Typical 1970's quality and fits. I have one that side that fits perfect. The other side looks more like yours.

You'll probably have to get creative to make it perfect. And by creative I mean metal work.
mb911
Jack,

I bought new ones from Porsche last fall and they fit like crap.. Part of it is I believe the RD sail panel sheet metal maybe off on the flange area so that effects the fittment.. I was very disappointed.
Cairo94507
Maybe post a picture of how your trim fits so we can see what you are working with. beerchug.gif
Superhawk996
Part of the charm and curse of 914's is that they are from a different era.

I could write a book about what sort of machine tools were used to cut body stamping dies in the 1970's vs. CNC technology of the late 80's to early 90's and how that alone imporved product quality.

The simple fact is that we've become accustomed to fits on modern vehicles that would have been IMPOSSIBLE to achieve in the 70's.
mepstein
So one of my pet peeve's when I worked at the shop was they would finish out the 911 bodies and then start assembling the car without ever trying to fit the parts prior to paint. Many of the cars were modified with wheel flares, wide wheels, different suspension and glass hoods and bumpers. Really, the time to fit parts is prior to paint. Once painted, your options are limited. Sometimes you have to modify the trim. shave some from the back of the thinner trim to get a little more reach into the larger part. Sometimes it's spacing, that is, take some space from the end that shows the least to get a little more coverage on the other end. Sometimes you just have to let it go and enjoy the car. beerchug.gif
jack20
Mb911, I’m using new Porsche trim too and I agree, very disappointed. The narrow strip below the sail panel is original to the car and in excellent shape but the design is crap. I’ll post a photo of what I’m dealing with.
I’m sure everyone has seen the fit I’m describing. The return where the thin strip meets the targa bar trim isn’t long enough to completely cover the tab on the end of the strip. Some people have figured out how to do it as shown in the photo. It was taken of a beautiful car at the
Phoenix Clup Swap Meet in Anaheim. Couldn’t locate the owner.
Jack
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 22 2020, 05:42 AM) *

So one of my pet peeve's when I worked at the shop was they would finish out the 911 bodies and then start assembling the car without ever trying to fit the parts prior to paint. Many of the cars were modified with wheel flares, wide wheels, different suspension and glass hoods and bumpers. Really, the time to fit parts is prior to paint. Once painted, your options are limited. Sometimes you have to modify the trim. shave some from the back of the thinner trim to get a little more reach into the larger part. Sometimes it's spacing, that is, take some space from the end that shows the least to get a little more coverage on the other end. Sometimes you just have to let it go and enjoy the car. beerchug.gif

Agreed.. That was likely one of my biggest mistakes..
Superhawk996
QUOTE(jack20 @ Apr 22 2020, 09:56 AM) *

Some people have figured out how to do it as shown in the photo. It was taken of a beautiful car at the
Phoenix Clup Swap Meet in Anaheim. Couldn’t locate the owner.
Jack

You can't compare one car directly to another. Even if both owners didn't modify the sheetmetal, the reality is that the body stamping dies wear over time.

An early stamping from 1970 won't be exactly the same as a stamping from 1976 when the dies had more wear and/or more rework done to them to keep producing parts.

Not trying to disuade you from getting a better fit but warning that the fit you desire may not be possible on your car without sheetmetal work.
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 22 2020, 10:03 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 22 2020, 05:42 AM) *

Agreed.. That was likely one of my biggest mistakes..

I’m not criticizing hobby builders. The shop is building many cars on a professional level. After many - “This wheel and tire combination doesn’t fit the handmade flares” debacles, they should have known better.

Sometimes you have to adjust multiple pieces to get the fit you want.
jack20
This is what I’m trying to overcome. I realize there are a lots of reasons why it may not or won’t fit, including poor design, stamping variations, etc however this is a very original, un-messed with car and I just bought new Porsche trim for it and good enough isn’t unless I’ve exhausted all options.

I’ve seen it done well and hoping someone who knows how to maximize the tolerances will share how they’ve done it.
Compare this picture to the red car. It appears that I could simply move the covering piece over but that’s due to the angle of the photo. It’s centered.
Click to view attachment
DickSteinkamp
The angle is slightly different, but it looks to me like the curved targa bar trim at the rear of the sail panel on the red car is either narrower than on the orange car OR it more to the outside of the car than the orange one.

I don't think it is the thin trim piece at the bottom of the sail panel that is off, I think it is the wide, curved trim at the rear of the sail panel.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I second that. The expensive new rear roll bar chrome pieces fit like CRAP!!!!!

QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 22 2020, 06:23 AM) *

Jack,

I bought new ones from Porsche last fall and they fit like crap.. Part of it is I believe the RD sail panel sheet metal maybe off on the flange area so that effects the fittment.. I was very disappointed.

mepstein
I'm not in front of your car but it looks like you could move the wide sail panel trim piece to the outside. You might have to shave a bit off the little square retaining clamp that fastens the end of the trim to the body.
jack20
Thanks guys. I’ll get back on it today.
As mentioned, the wide Targa bar trim is a Porsche genuine part but it is a reproduction. I would have expected better for what they charge.
Jack
Cairo94507
I agree with Mark 100%. It looks like the wide trim that travels up the targa bar needs to be adjusted outward. beerchug.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(jack20 @ Apr 22 2020, 12:04 PM) *

Thanks guys. I’ll get back on it today.
As mentioned, the wide Targa bar trim is a Porsche genuine part but it is a reproduction. I would have expected better for what they charge.
Jack

Even reproduction parts from Porsche translate to "a close copy of the original".
bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 22 2020, 09:42 AM) *

I'm not in front of your car but it looks like you could move the wide sail panel trim piece to the outside. You might have to shave a bit off the little square retaining clamp that fastens the end of the trim to the body.

I just went through this recently on my car. You should have a bit of adjustment in the special square retaining clamp to be able to move it outboard or inboard a little. If you don't have enough, just slot the hole for the clamp stud a little with a file and paint the raw edges. Getting to the clamp nut under the fender is a PITA, but you should be able to line that targa trim piece up better than what you have.
jack20
I’m getting close. I’ll post pictures and describe the process when finished.
Jack
BPic
QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 22 2020, 03:52 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 22 2020, 09:42 AM) *

I just went through this recently on my car. You should have a bit of adjustment in the special square retaining clamp to be able to move it outboard or inboard a little. If you don't have enough, just slot the hole for the clamp stud a little with a file and paint the raw edges. Getting to the clamp nut under the fender is a PITA, but you should be able to line that targa trim piece up better than what you have.

agree.gif I just did the same thing.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the only way it is going to fit is to bend the rear roll bar chrome

QUOTE(jack20 @ Apr 22 2020, 08:17 AM) *

This is what I’m trying to overcome. I realize there are a lots of reasons why it may not or won’t fit, including poor design, stamping variations, etc however this is a very original, un-messed with car and I just bought new Porsche trim for it and good enough isn’t unless I’ve exhausted all options.

I’ve seen it done well and hoping someone who knows how to maximize the tolerances will share how they’ve done it.
Compare this picture to the red car. It appears that I could simply move the covering piece over but that’s due to the angle of the photo. It’s centered.
Click to view attachment

jack20
Got it finished today. Pretty happy with the outcome.
To start I bought new top plates and sail panel back trim from Porsche. A few dealers have a discount parts program. Mine doesn’t but they price matched and I avoided shipping cost.
The top plates had to be trimmed at the rear to fit flush with the top of the bar and line up with the rear sail panel trim.
The sail panel trim required filing on the inboard back side that fits the inside of the sail panel. Filing allowed the trim to slide outward enough to cover the tab on the thin strip at the bottom of the sail panel. The mounting plate needed filing on the engine sides of each. I used a long 1/4” drive extension and 8mm socket to attach the nut and washer under the fender. I stuck the nut and washer together with contact cement and raised them to the bolt.
Done. Thanks for the suggestions.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
cheer.gif Welll done. smash.gif
mepstein
beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.