Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anti Sway Bar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ctc911ctc
Teeners

I have finally gotten around to hooking up the anti-sway bar using 914Rubber plastic inserts (bushings?).

When we drive the car there is thumping noise within the rear that started once we had the anti-sway bar connected.

I made sure all of the connections are tight and not stripped. Might the rubber mounting brackets need grease? I am thinking that this might be a binding a then release event that is creating the noise?

Any thoughts or direction?

brant
is it a stock rear sway bar?
how low is the car
it sounds overly simplified... but its not too hard to put that bar on upside down

can you look under the car and move the rear suspension through range of motion to see if the bar is (upside down) and hitting the trunk floor
ctc911ctc
QUOTE(brant @ Apr 22 2020, 11:21 AM) *

is it a stock rear sway bar?
how low is the car
it sounds overly simplified... but its not too hard to put that bar on upside down

can you look under the car and move the rear suspension through a range of motion to see if the bar is (upside down) and hitting the trunk floor

I never took it off, it was hanging there with the links barely hanging by threads of crusty Nylon.

I will look, make certain I am not the victim of the PO playing with this part of the car.

SirAndy
You may have it upside down. That would make the bar hit the trunk floor under compression.
idea.gif
ctc911ctc
*******UPDATE********

Got under the car on Sunday, it seems that there is a little bit of play within the new bushings. perhaps as much as 1/4 inch.

I will buy another set (had to man-handle them until I was able to get them attached) since I now know how to do this.

The little bit of play makes a minor thump which is then amplified through the torsion bar and then the trunk. Sound horrible.

Will update as I continue through this tortured torsion.
StarBear
Tried replacing my bushings this afternoon; a little bit of play, but then they are the original 46 yr-old ones. Bolts are frozen and I'm too scared to try harder (AMHIK). Not urgent so will wait until next time I take it in to mechanic, and get the fronts done at the same time.
ctc911ctc
QUOTE(StarBear @ Apr 28 2020, 01:29 PM) *

Tried replacing my bushings this afternoon; a little bit of play, but then they are the original 46 yr-old ones. Bolts are frozen and I'm too scared to try harder (AMHIK). Not urgent so will wait until next time I take it in to mechanic, and get the fronts done at the same time.

icon_bump.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.