Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car pulls to the right
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gturner008
One issue on my car just purchased, a 1976, is that the car constantly pulls to the right. I've checked the obvious, like tire pressures etc. When I went through the paper work file - I noticed two occasions when the previous owner mentioned this to the service department.

So perhaps its been an issue for some time.

Any ideas on cause? I'm assuming simple tracking won't fix it. Would a full four wheel geometry fix the issue?

I've checked that no wheel brakes are binding. I'm a bit stumped. Any advice appreciated.
Cairo94507
Bad alignment, damaged front suspension component. You already checked the dragging brake issue- that would have been my first guess.
ahycaramba
It could be a variety of things. Since the car is new to you. I highly recommend to have your car aligned by someone familiar with 914's. just to get a base starting point for whats going on with your suspension. With an alignment you can see if its a simple toe adjustment all the way to bent parts.

If the alignment is good and brakes are not dragging it and you still have a pull, It could be caused by a bad tire pulling to one side. To check on tire pull a simple tire rotation from side to side (even rotating rear tires) should either correct the problem or cause a pull to the other side.

Hope this helps
914Toy
QUOTE(gturner008 @ Apr 22 2020, 11:04 AM) *

One issue on my car just purchased, a 1976, is that the car constantly pulls to the right. I've checked the obvious, like tire pressures etc. When I went through the paper work file - I noticed two occasions when the previous owner mentioned this to the service department.

Any ideas on cause? I'm assuming simple tracking won't fix it. Would a full four wheel geometry fix the issue?

I've checked that no wheel brakes are binding. I'm a bit stumped. Any advice appreciated.

Be sure to include corner balancing in the wheel alignment scope of work.
porschetub
QUOTE(gturner008 @ Apr 23 2020, 06:04 AM) *

agree.gif with all the comments about alignment ,for example the PO may have changed a front tie-rod end and not measured the old thread length before fitting a replacement,mine was out when I got my car,I just did a basic string line alignment.
I found one side was equal to the steering wheel in centred position the other required 2 tie-rod end adjustments,pleased with the result and no more fighting the steering wheel.
Good luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.