Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: flare nut wrenches
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 RZ-1
I'm going to be replacing the flexible brake lines on my car (the ones from the hard lines to the calipers). I need flare nut wrenches. I don't really need a set, so I thought I'd just get what I need.

1. What sizes do I need?

2. Should I get 6-point or 12-point?

Thanks!
tygaboy
I bought a set of them years ago. That way you're covered for things like the bleeders, too. All were 6 pt.
I'd go with 6pt.

Something like this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-SAE-MM-Fl...NW6PC/203541511
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Apr 22 2020, 08:23 PM) *

I bought a set of them years ago. That way you're covered for things like the bleeders, too. All were 6 pt.
I'd go with 6pt.

Something like this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-SAE-MM-Fl...NW6PC/203541511

What else besides bleeders would I need them for? I saw the same set at HD. However, I thought I'd get nicer ones (preferably US-made), so that means more money, so that means getting only what I need.

Noted on the 6 pt, thanks!
cary
I primarily use them to remove brake lines. I just use a standard 6pt wrench on bleeders.
76-914
Don't go cheap on these. You need a good tight fit. Otherwise, you may as well use Vise Grips. beerchug.gif
914forme
6 pt. S&K never let me down, but if your dealing with something stubborn then these will save you. You know when some one has used what ever wrench and made a few sides a bit less than ideal.

Click to view attachment

jfort
i've never seen those "vice grip 6 sides" brand? source?
mepstein
QUOTE(jfort @ Apr 23 2020, 12:07 PM) *

i've never seen those "vice grip 6 sides" brand? source?

https://sktools.com/content/sktools/en_US/shop.html
914forme
S&K

The vice grip wrenches are by OTC
rmdinmd
You might find that the cost of 2 or 3 individual wrenches isn't that much less than a complete set, sometimes it is even more. dry.gif
flyer86d
I agree with not going cheap on these. Case in point. I had to replace the transfer case on our old 1992 Mercedes 300 TE 4matic. It is hydraulically actuated and has a oil feed and return line which have 12 mm and 14 mm flare fittings respectively. I had a Snap On 12 mm flare nut wrench which popped the supply line loose first shot. I only had an el-cheapo 14 mm flare wrench which just didn’t feel secure when I tried to loosen the return side even when heating the nut with the flame wrench. I got ahold of my local Snap On Tool guy, the one that was my supplier when I had my shop and ordered the correct 14 mm flare nut wrench. I picked it up this past Monday. That afternoon, I heated the nut with the flame wrench and the Snap On popped it loose with no problem!

Charlie
914forme
QUOTE(rmdinmd @ Apr 23 2020, 01:06 PM) *

You might find that the cost of 2 or 3 individual wrenches isn't that much less than a complete set, sometimes it is even more. dry.gif

agree.gif If I can swing it I always buy the set. It can cost a lot more to buy the bare wrench. and then latter piece the set together. Also look for quality used.

Snap-On
Mac
S&K
Matco
Old Craftsmen

Older the better in most cases, as long as they have not been abused, you can get some high quality tools for little money.
914 RZ-1
Thanks for all the input. I like Proto tools, so I'll probably go with a 6 point, double ended wrench. I have a coupon for Zoro.com. I'm still leaning toward getting only what I need instead of a set.

What sizes do I need?
914forme
Yes Proto makes some great tools, BTW they have a ratcheting flare nut wrench that is so drooley.gif

No I do not have an addiction to tools.

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
For your 914 ? Get an 11mm 6 sided. You don't need a whole set.
It is necessary to do any hard line diassembly and not good for much else.
A 12 sided wrench is more likely to round a stuborn flare nut.
76-914
QUOTE(914forme @ Apr 23 2020, 08:31 AM) *

6 pt. S&K never let me down, but if your dealing with something stubborn then these will save you. You know when some one has used what ever wrench and made a few sides a bit less than ideal.

Click to view attachment

Stephan, you ARE the tool man, indeed. biggrin.gif I read the reviews on that tool and one detractor said it was soft steel and bent the first use. They are also supposed to fit Metric and SAE. That's kinda scary but who knows. Probably Chinese. Great idea though. Someone with a cnc mill set up like @Mueller could take some regular vice grips and make those tools. For some reason every time I need flare wrenches I'm in a tight spot with little room. There may be a rule requiring flare nuts be installed in unaccessible locations. confused24.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif
914forme
Kent, I say give any Ape a tool, and they will figure out how to destroy it.

I have recently gotten into restoring vintage vices. - Not a great hobby to be in BTW, but still fun. I am amazed at how many for the locking handles look like they where beat with a 10 lbs sledge. Gives me lots of time with the lathe, and TIG welder. Both of which I need to practice with.

They are most likely Chinese, I did not look, they are stout, they work, and never had a problem. But then I never hung a 8 foot piece of DOM off of them and then stood on it. If it gets to that point, the M12 rotary tool comes out, I cut the line and make a new one.

Always a way around a problem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.