Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any tips on installing the speedo drive bushing?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RickS
So I have one of Mark’s no-leak speedo drive bushings. All I know is that the a$$ end of the car needs to be raised so all the tranny fluid doesn’t leak out. But how do you get the old one out since I see no threads on the Mark unit, and are there any tricks involved? Does it press in, or how is it secured? Mark says it’s self explanatory but looking at the piece, it’s a total mystery.
Bleyseng
There is a little bolt that locks the drive in so remove the bolt and pull the drive out, install new one and tighten the bolt. It's in a aluminum housing so careful on tighten it as you can strip it out pretty easy.
76-914
agree.gif but the unit will be stuck as the o-ring most likely has stuck in place. Rotate it to break loose then pull on it whilst rotating the unit to 'n fro. beerchug.gif
bdstone914
QUOTE(RickS @ Apr 22 2020, 09:28 PM) *

So I have one of Mark’s no-leak speedo drive bushings. All I know is that the a$$ end of the car needs to be raised so all the tranny fluid doesn’t leak out. But how do you get the old one out since I see no threads on the Mark unit, and are there any tricks involved? Does it press in, or how is it secured? Mark says it’s self explanatory but looking at the piece, it’s a total mystery.

It you get rhe car nose down no oil will leak

Remove the retaining bolt. Turn the speedo drive to break the o ring loose. Align the hole in the bushing with the threaded hole and install the bolt. Use a 24mm wrench to break loose the speedo drive. Remove the retaining bolt. Remove the assembly.
Mikey914
Thanks guys will be doing the video next week.
Mark
RickS
Thanks all. Much appreciated. Will give it a go.
RickS
The job is done and only lost about 1 tbs of fluid since the @$$ end was not high enough on ramps sitting on 2x6s. So wheeled out the jack and boosted it a bit more and stuffed a paper towel in the hole to prevent more.

Mine took a 13mm wrench to remove the retaining bolt and a big A$$ wrench (bigger than my largest numbered wrench) to remove the nut holding the L assembly to the bushing. Channel locks used to remove the assembly.

Needed a punch to get the gear assembly out of bushing.

If I had to do it over again, instead of pushing the bushing in first and then connecting the speedo drive to it, I should have connected the speedo drive to the L first and then oriented in the tranny. Also a mark on the side of the bushing would have helped orient it with the retaining bolt.

Not a tough job just getting things aligned was the only challenge Thanks for all the help.

Click to view attachment
RickS
Of course I took it on a quick test drive between rain showers

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.