Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reinforced trailing arms
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
echocanyons
What is the purpose of doing this? I have seen it on a couple of 6's but the only thing I can think of that it does is restricts lateral movement.

If this is a uselful suspension upgrade is it basically fab your own or is somebody producing these?
philinjax
There is a sheetmetal kit commonly available, for several years now. In my opinion, it is an essentially worthless upgrade. The stock 914 trailing arms are stiff as a board (not that they can't be bent by a lateral slam into a curb). The flex associated with lateral stresses during autox and racing are due mainly to wear in the trailing arm bushings and flexing of the suspension consoles to which the trailing arms are attached.
The real upgrade here consists of new bushings (or bearings) and reenforced suspension consoles. This is only my two cents.
philinjax
echocanyons
http://hobbystage.net/porsche/media.cgi?si...54533458-006394

I'm still unusre if I wanna go the boxed trailing arm route

I guess I shoulda said reinforced console like in this picture.
echocanyons
here it is
Brad Roberts
Thanks Phil for backing me up.

Worthless.

Here is how I look at it:

If I hit a curb and the arm is boxed... guess where all the load goes ?? The inside ear (that is weak anyway). I can replace bent control arms for about 50$ a side. I cant replace/fix that ear for anything under 800$.

So.. I will try and bend control arms all day before I EVER install the control arm stiff kit. All it does is ad weight to a unsprung item.

I wish my friend who did the structural analysis on a 914 control arm had time for this BBS. He is engineer in Texas (Al Swanson for those of you who know him) He spent a lot of "real" engineering time on the 914 control arm to discover the same thing I had been saying for 15 years (they are plenty strong and the box kit does nothing for how they are actually weak).

B
URY914
I have them but, when I change my bushings out to needle bearings I think I'll try grinding my spot welds off or buy new trailing arms.

I think your right-not needed.

Paul
Brad Roberts
With you being "weight conscience".. take them off.

B
Mueller
Paul,

I can save you almost 1 pound off each side of the rear needle bearing kit if you are willing to do a little spot welding.

The 1.5dia tube can be cut down (currently it's ~12" long) so that only about 2" of material is pressed into the trailing arm on each end, this smaller section of tube should be spot/rosette welded into place once set up the correct distance into the arm.
Elliot_Cannon
Hi,
I like the idea of reinforcing the suspesion console. The "ear" seems to be a week spot. Is there a kit available to reinforce the "ear"? I just had my right one repaired. (Big crack).
Ive never seen this in any catalog.
Cheers, Elliot
vw505
hey paul
i may be able to get you some i have a parts car comeing to me and i could drop the arms at you place next time i am in tampa.
mike mueba.gif
URY914
Sounds like a plan.
And of course less material means less weight and less cost.
....just kidding.

Paul
URY914
Mike,
I like the sound of that too.
Than I can do a simple replacement.
Let me know when you'll be around, or if you can wait until Oct I'll be there for the Brumos swap meet.

Paul
Jeroen
Kelly,

The pic you posted isn't of a reinforcement.
The rod is installed so you can take the rear suspension off and put it back on without loosing the toe-settings.

cheers,

Jeroen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.