Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2 gorgeous 914's for sale at the same time
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ampex351
I am in the process of buying a '73 zambesi green 2 ltr for 10K and it will need approx. 2K in work. On the other hand, A guy contacted me about his Dad's one owner '75
white 1.8 ltr that he wants to sell. The white is $12K and is absolutely stunning. No issues of any kind. Perfect original paint.

What the hell would you do? Choose the '73 2ltr or the '75 1.8ltr? What's the best points of both cars? Is the 1.8 THAT much slower? Worth less $$?

Thanks guys!
76-914
Get the 75 if it has no known issues. The green car will need 2K in repairs you say. If that is "a fact" and there are no other hidden issues then the green car is the better deal and value. It is virtually impossible to access all it will need until it goes under the knife. beerchug.gif
PeeGreen 914
'73 is the more desirable year of the two, green is more desirable than white. 2.0l more desirable than 1.7l. I'd stick with the green, but I'm also partial to green cars.
tygaboy
Opinion: I'd say the 73 2.0 is more "desirable". Plus there's the whole big bumper thing with the '75.

I say get them both! You can always sell one and keep the one you like best! driving.gif
Ampex351
QUOTE(Ampex351 @ Apr 23 2020, 09:49 AM) *

I am in the process of buying a '73 zambesi green 2 ltr for 10K and it will need approx. 2K in work. On the other hand, A guy contacted me about his Dad's one owner '75
white 1.8 ltr that he wants to sell. The white is $12K and is absolutely stunning. No issues of any kind. Perfect original paint.

What the hell would you do? Choose the '73 2ltr or the '75 1.8ltr? What's the best points of both cars? Is the 1.8 THAT much slower? Worth less $$?

Thanks guys!

Will they continue to go up in value equally?
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Ampex351 @ Apr 23 2020, 08:01 AM) *

Thanks guys!

No, the '73 2.0l will be more desirable in the collector market.
JamesM
QUOTE(Ampex351 @ Apr 23 2020, 06:49 AM) *

Is the 1.8 THAT much slower? Worth less $$?
Thanks guys!

The earlier 1.7s are "slower" the 75 1.8 is the "slowest" 914 built and yes it is a noticeable difference. How much the cars are worth is really dependent on a lot of things condition and originality having a lot to do with it. At 50 years old though you can pretty much assume ANY car in the 10-12k price range will need some level of work. either one could easily be hiding rust or shoddy repains. Pictures and knowing more specifics would help. As for long term performance, unless you are looking to keep it stock they can both get to the same place, just might take more money if you start with a 1.8... really all depends on what your goals are.
BuddyV
Original owner and Original paint are two things that sound VERY nice if trying to sell down the road (and before you say that you do not plan to sell.... it happens). Big bumper cars used to be a NO-NO a few years ago.... now..... not such a big deal. You can always backdate and keep the fatties on the shelf. VERY simple.

Think about what is in front of you.... in this case, TWO cool cars..... and ask yourself which one might NEVER be available to you again.

Yes, the 73 YEAR is more valuable..... but the other may be more SPECIAL.

I have an original paint car. It is a unique detail. Obviously not a performance detail - but if the paint is original and NICE? Well, that might make this car more "valuable" than a car being manufactured in a certain year.

OK... I could go back and forth on this one...... in short, pull the trigger on the one that you would KICK yourself for passing on.

Good luck!

(.... buy the original owner car!!!!)
burton73
QUOTE(BuddyV @ Apr 23 2020, 08:20 AM) *

Original owner and Original paint are two things that sound VERY nice if trying to sell down the road (and before you say that you do not plan to sell.... it happens). Big bumper cars used to be a NO-NO a few years ago.... now..... not such a big deal. You can always backdate and keep the fatties on the shelf. VERY simple.

Think about what is in front of you.... in this case, TWO cool cars..... and ask yourself which one might NEVER be available to you again.

Yes, the 73 YEAR is more valuable..... but the other may be more SPECIAL.

I have an original paint car. It is a unique detail. Obviously not a performance detail - but if the paint is original and NICE? Well, that might make this car more "valuable" than a car being manufactured in a certain year.

OK... I could go back and forth on this one...... in short, pull the trigger on the one that you would KICK yourself for passing on.

Good luck!

(.... buy the original owner car!!!!)

agree.gif

I say the original paint car if it looks good. Rust is the big killer on these cars and repairs can cost a huge amount of money. Show them and we can tell you what we really think as they could be a POS. Also try to get a 914-world member to view them in person if you can

Welcome to the 914world

Bob B
welcome.png
burton73
2 posting sorry
jaredmcginness
We need photos!
ValcoOscar
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

blink.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Apr 23 2020, 12:44 PM) *

blink.gif

agree.gif

My ‘75 2.0 looks sort of ‘73ish after some work...
Cairo94507
That's a tough call for sure. The '73, as already stated is I believe a more desirable MY. However, the $2K estimate for work needed is the area that concerns me. Rarely is it that easy to fix a dollar amount on work needed and we all know how slippery that slope can be.

Now, the '75 is still a desirable MY as even in CA it is exempt from smog inspections. Also, original owner and original paint is a huge draw. If the condition is as you say, I would likely go for the '75. Of course I would then do a bumper backdate (keep the BUBS) and 2056 engine build (keep the stock motor) with factory fuel injection and then talk to Ben about a full exhaust.....

Either way, you will have a nice 914- green or white. beerchug.gif
siverson
Both sound too good to be true. Nice 914s are worth much more than that now. Buy both? (or send them my way!)

-Steve
StarBear
Would LOVE to have that tough choice - but then nowhere to park/store a 2nd or 3rd one anyway. One owner car has big advantage, but would go with the 73 2.0L (but then I love the Zambezi Green (like mine).
Spoke
'73 2L wins over '75 1.8L. Much difference in power. Without pictures and a close inspection, it's almost impossible to tell which to buy. Have you inspected the cars in person?
Ampex351
QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 23 2020, 11:54 AM) *

'73 2L wins over '75 1.8L. Much difference in power. Without pictures and a close inspection, it's almost impossible to tell which to buy. Have you inspected the cars in person?

I havent been able to see both cars in person as they are at a distance to me. My gut feeling is that I should stick with the green 2.0 for $10,000. From the info I have it's a nice car and '73's are a desireable year. I've seen a lot of junk for 12-15,000.
And, it recently had a valve job and transmission work done. Overall the '75 is much prettier in that it is all orginal and VERY nice. But it's a '75 and it's a 1.8 and therefore not as good of an investment in my book.

Now, to make things even more complicated, I just ran ran into an old guy the other day that has 5 914's in dry storage!!! He wants to sell them. Shit, I havent even been able to see those yet! When it rains it pours..
yellowporky
Opinions vary widely on what a good condition car is. One mans junk is another mans treasure. Could not be more true in the 914 world.
I wasted $300 on a flight from oakland to Downey ca back in the late 90’s to look at an excellent condition rust free 73’ 2.0.
Before I even got out of the taxi I was pissed.
Until you get your eyes and hands on it pictures and people can lie.
Do not torment yourself go and see if the story matches reality.
914sgofast2
The 1973 two liter cars are generally considered the most desirable of all four cylinder 914’s. They had the highest performance and biggest engine of the four cylinder cars. The later model 1.8 liter cars are probably the least desirable because they had the least power, lots of finicky smog controls, and the ugly big rubber bumpers. While the one owner 1975 sounds good, do you want to buy a mint condition undesirable car or the most desirable car that will always remain so? Are you buying a car to enjoy driving it or have it sit in your garage. Buying a low mileage, one owner collector car has serious drawbacks. Every mile you drive it, its value goes down. I bought a low mileage (48,000 original miles) , one owner, Jaguar XKE back in 2000, but I never drive it. I regret buying such a car in hindsight.
Front yard mechanic
Green is the color of money so it's either worth more or it will cost more maybe both popcorn[1].gif
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Apr 23 2020, 12:42 PM) *

Green is the color of money so it's either worth more or it will cost more maybe both popcorn[1].gif

Click to view attachment
Ampex351
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Apr 23 2020, 12:53 PM) *

The 1973 two liter cars are generally considered the most desirable of all four cylinder 914’s. They had the highest performance and biggest engine of the four cylinder cars. The later model 1.8 liter cars are probably the least desirable because they had the least power, lots of finicky smog controls, and the ugly big rubber bumpers. While the one owner 1975 sounds good, do you want to buy a mint condition undesirable car or the most desirable car that will always remain so? Are you buying a car to enjoy driving it or have it sit in your garage. Buying a low mileage, one owner collector car has serious drawbacks. Every mile you drive it, its value goes down. I bought a low mileage (48,000 original miles) , one owner, Jaguar XKE back in 2000, but I never drive it. I regret buying such a car in hindsight.

OK....after much consideration and input from all of you I am buying the '73 2.0 Zambesi green. She needs a little cosmetic attention but not bad. And as an original paint 1 owner car she will always be worth the $$. You have all been a great help in this decision..Thank you!!
Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
beerchug.gif BEAUTIFUL
windforfun
Now insure it with Hagerty for 35 K$ for about $175 a year.

Go Ampex (AG-440 & ATR-800)!!!
Big Len
double post.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Ampex351 @ Apr 23 2020, 11:01 AM) *

Thanks guys!

Never buy a hobby car assuming it will go up in value.

Common ad: $30k invested . . . asking $18K.
Tdskip
Congratulations
JeffBowlsby
Value has a lot to do with condition more than anything. The highest value 914/4 recent sales were for 75 1.8L wth ridiculously low miles and original everything. Attached is one example.
ValcoOscar
Congtrats... drunk.gif

Bring it home.

- Get it mechanically sound $$$

- Drive it like you stole it through the summer irish914.jpg

- Prepare a punch list idea.gif

- Empty your piggy bank sad.gif

- Take baby steps on repairs (yes, there will be) $$$

- Enjoy it by year's end. wreath.gif

- And don't forget to provide us updates along the way popcorn[1].gif

Oscar

Oh yeah...you'll end up a happy camper

Click to view attachment
KELTY360
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Apr 23 2020, 03:10 PM) *

Value has a lot to do with condition more than anything. The highest value 914/4 recent sales were for 75 1.8L wth ridiculously low miles and original everything. Attached is one example.

All fine and well, but what if you want to actually want to drive it?
Cairo94507
Congratulations Ampex351! Once you get it home take some nice photos to share with us. Good luck and enjoy. beerchug.gif
Ampex351
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Apr 23 2020, 06:24 PM) *

Congtrats... drunk.gif

Bring it home.

- Get it mechanically sound $$$

- Drive it like you stole it through the summer irish914.jpg

- Prepare a punch list idea.gif

- Empty your piggy bank sad.gif

- Take baby steps on repairs (yes, there will be) $$$

- Enjoy it by year's end. wreath.gif

- And don't forget to provide us updates along the way popcorn[1].gif

Oscar

I've got a sweet '87 VW Westphalia for camping so we're already set.

Oh yeah...you'll end up a happy camper

Click to view attachment

Jamie
QUOTE(Ampex351 @ Apr 23 2020, 01:46 PM) *

QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Apr 23 2020, 12:53 PM) *

OK....after much consideration and input from all of you I am buying the '73 2.0 Zambesi green. She needs a little cosmetic attention but not bad. And as an original paint 1 owner car she will always be worth the $$. You have all been a great help in this decision..Thank you!!
Click to view attachment

But not original RV mirror?
Ampex351
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 23 2020, 06:48 PM) *

Congratulations Ampex351! Once you get it home take some nice photos to share with us. Good luck and enjoy. beerchug.gif

Thank for the support. This group is awesome. I'll show you guys pics when I get her home.

Best, Roger
porschetub
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 24 2020, 03:55 AM) *

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Apr 23 2020, 12:44 PM) *

blink.gif

agree.gif

My ‘75 2.0 looks sort of ‘73ish after some work...

Jeez conedodger how did you find SO much rear camber,looks great but not for tyres lol-2.gif lol-2.gif .
Coondog
Congrats 73 2.0 is the year...... biggrin.gif
Big Len
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Apr 23 2020, 01:53 PM) *

I would not take your advise in buying a pizza.
914-300Hemi
Congrats on the 73. piratenanner.gif
second wind
Hey Oscar....does your video have a flat rear tire? I think buying the green was a good idea but I would buy them both if you can afford it. If not, green 2.0 is about as good as it gets.
Enjoy and welcome to the looney bin,
gg
Beeliner
I owned, until a few months ago, a 1973 2.0 and a 1975 1.8.

Neither was in good condition at all ($3,000 & $2,600 before bleeding $$$$)

When I had them both running (-$$$$) the 2.0 was more fun.

I sold the 1.8 and the 2.0 is now a 2.2...

I am mathematically challenged, so that has limited any depression I might (should) have had...

So... The important question to me is: do you want a Looker or a Driver?

driving.gif
Asheikh
Nice car
Congratulations
I'm looking for a similar car
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.