Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Supplier of exhaust muffer?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gturner008
I have a completely stock exhaust system on my 76. A US car, non-cat.

The final back box was replaced. I now need the first box as it has a hole caused by rust.

I may be able to get someone to weld a small plate over the hole - or replace completely.

I can't find a supplier of this stock box. Does anyone know of a supplier that might have one? I have the non-cat connector pipe - its just the muffler itself

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Frankvw
so, it seems you have found the first rust on the non-rust 914. Welcome ! :-)
If you mean the muffler attached to the heatexchangers, that is pretty thin material, an especially if it is already rusty it can be hard to fix. But just let that welder fix it if he can, so you can orientate on a new exhaust/muffler to buy. There is a post going round with stainless steel variants, maybe that is a great buy for a car in that state you just bought !
good luck !
gturner008
Many thanks - good advice. I'm keen to find an OE type stock back box. Not sure where I'll find it. I want to keep the car 100% original - therefore probably won't go down the aftermarket route.

I'm not surprised to see a muffler with a hole. A miles, infrequently driven car is more likely to have exhaust rust - given the condensation cycle associated with this sort of driving pattern.

I know it is hard to believe, but I've now been over the entire car - above and below - and found no rust at all. I'm very surprised to be honest I expected to find some rust somewhere. But no - nothing at all. Not even a pin prick of rust.

The Zeibart treatment the car got from the dealer was extensive. Included black stone guard inside the fenders, spray of clear wax type materials over the entire underside, wax filled cavities, and a liberal spraying of wax on all chassis, suspension and engine bay area. My plan is to clean, but not remove the treatment. I could get rid of the wax materials - and make it all shiny, but I don't think that's the right approach. Better to look a less shiny, but retain the originality. A tough call.
JOEPROPER
Ben @mb911 posted a 2.0L SSI heat exchanger recently. You may want to look him up.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
75 76 were notorious for rotting out. We have several new setups but are developing a stock replacement so are keeping for r&d

I would suggest for now to weld and when we get stock, then replace. the 75 76 system was hastily designed and not good, many have retro fitted the earlier 2.0 system, heat exchangers, muffler, bracket, j pipes, branch pieces with great success

QUOTE(gturner008 @ Apr 24 2020, 08:29 AM) *

Many thanks - good advice. I'm keen to find an OE type stock back box. Not sure where I'll find it. I want to keep the car 100% original - therefore probably won't go down the aftermarket route.

I'm not surprised to see a muffler with a hole. A miles, infrequently driven car is more likely to have exhaust rust - given the condensation cycle associated with this sort of driving pattern.

I know it is hard to believe, but I've now been over the entire car - above and below - and found no rust at all. I'm very surprised to be honest I expected to find some rust somewhere. But no - nothing at all. Not even a pin prick of rust.

The Zeibart treatment the car got from the dealer was extensive. Included black stone guard inside the fenders, spray of clear wax type materials over the entire underside, wax filled cavities, and a liberal spraying of wax on all chassis, suspension and engine bay area. My plan is to clean, but not remove the treatment. I could get rid of the wax materials - and make it all shiny, but I don't think that's the right approach. Better to look a less shiny, but retain the originality. A tough call.

gturner008
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 24 2020, 09:38 AM) *

75 76 were notorious for rotting out. We have several new setups but are developing a stock replacement so are keeping for r&d

I would suggest for now to weld and when we get stock, then replace. the 75 76 system was hastily designed and not good, many have retro fitted the earlier 2.0 system, heat exchangers, muffler, bracket, j pipes, branch pieces with great success

QUOTE(gturner008 @ Apr 24 2020, 08:29 AM) *

Thanks George, that's good advice. I've dropped off the box to a garage to have braze up the small hole. This might suffice for a while as I won't be doing many miles in it - and the vast majority of the box is in good shape.
mb911
I have some 75/76 heater boxes sitting in the back of my truck right now that are in good condition.. If you need them I will take pictures and make you a deal..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.