Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to get your cammer to pass emissions in IL
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ninefourteener
Ok... we all know the drama with my teener thats been sitting in the garage for nearly a month because the state of Illinois wouldn't lift the suspension on the plates. Its got a cam in it... and puts out almost 4 times the legal limit of pollutants.... but runs 100%, doesn't smoke, hesitate, skip, cough..... nothing. Still.. it wouldn't even come CLOSE to passing emissions. So, WAAAAAY back a year ago.... I applied for an "extension" on emissions testing.

When you apply for an "extension" on emissions testing.... they give it to you.. but they suspend your plates.... and they don't tell you.

They won't let you register your car as an antique until the suspension is lifted off the plates..... even if your car meets all the prerequisites to be an antique..... untill the car passes emissions.

Even if you do register it as an antique, you're forced to wear ugly antique plates on it,.. Hence, identifying your car to the police as an "occasional driver.. to car events only".

BUT...... I found out that the EPA and the DMV are completely seperate entities. If you apply to the EPA to get a "Showcar emissions exemption"..... they will give it to you.... so long as you provide proof of insurance, and pictures of the car.

The EPA then (without first contacting the DMV) notifies the DMV that your car is emissions exempt... Hence giving the DMV no reason to hold the suspension on the plates!!!

I got 2 letters in the mail today:
1) A letter from the EPA stating my car has a 2-year emission exemption...... they even sent me back my pictures too!!
2) A letter from the DMV stating that the suspension on my plates has been lifted!

The best part?? I GET TO KEEP MY ORIGINAL IL PLATES!!!!!!

See there.... this is the stuff that the DMV, and the State of Illinois won't tell you. I got this info from a 45 year old worker at the inspection lanes, that used the same trick to get his 70-something Ford through emissions smile.gif

The 914 will be back on the road TOMORROW aktion035.gif

Running strong........ perfectly legal...... and pollutin' like an SOB!! beerchug.gif
MarkG
But in two years you are back to square one?

In Colorado you pass emissions or you don't get plates; but you can ask for a similar extension, also good for only 2 years.

I FINALY got mine to pass, so I got the antique plates exempting me from further emission tests AND the tags are good for 5 years!

Regular plates would mean emission tests until the day the car rusted away and yearly tags.
ninefourteener
Yea.. it is only 2 years.... that sucks..... but I'm better off than where I started...... with a car I can't drive--LOL

Besides.. I'll just repeat the process 2 years from now..... it was free biggrin.gif
qa1142
Mine just passed smilie_pokal.gif

at 30+ you only have to pass at idle. does the cam mess that up? huh.gif
ninefourteener
QUOTE (qa1142 @ Jul 7 2005, 05:12 PM)
Mine just passed smilie_pokal.gif

at 30+ you only have to pass at idle. does the cam mess that up? huh.gif

Yes.. it does.......

If your readings are too high at idle (which mine are WAY high)... then the machine prompts the guys to put your car on a dyno.

The purpose of the dyno is to heat up the engine so it can retest.

If your car ends up on a dyno.. chances are, you failed.
iamchappy
No emissions testing in our state anymore thanks to the former Gov. Jesse Ventura.
He also was able to raise the decibel limit on jet skis and wave runners, Why? Because he likes em.
It was sad to see him go, now politics here are boring again they cant even pass the budget and most of government agencys are closed now, even the highway rest stops.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.