Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VDO Gauges - what determines value, desirability?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gearup
I have 3 sets of gushes. All VDO. Some Speedo’s go to 120 MPH and some 150. Some gauges have plastic and other glass faces (prefer the glass). I hooked up my wireless drill with a square bit and they all read approximately 35 MPH. Guess they work?smile.gif Any info is appreciated. I see serial numbers on the top edges.

Have a great night.
Brett
Montreal914
One common failure is the odometer. I recommend you test the speedometers again with your drill and look tho see if your mileage increases. GLWTS
davehg
I love the silver dot gauges with glass, especially those native to the 914-6.
Gearup
Is there any adverse affect/benefit to value if you carefully tape, sand and reshoot satin on the bezels? Didn’t
Know if it devalued and older gauge to do so.
Gearup
Also, how do you test the tach?
Retroracer
QUOTE(Gearup @ Apr 24 2020, 09:29 PM) *

Unless you have electrical test equipment lying around, the easiest way I've found is to hook it up to the car (at least for a functional check). You need +12V, GND and the tach signal. Good luck.

- Tony
Gearup
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Apr 25 2020, 08:20 AM) *

QUOTE(Gearup @ Apr 24 2020, 09:29 PM) *

Unless you have electrical test equipment lying around, the easiest way I've found is to hook it up to the car (at least for a functional check). You need +12V, GND and the tach signal. Good luck.

- Tony

Do you know if by sanding and reshooting the bezels satin hurts the value of the gauges? I know that sounds a ridiculous question bu sometimes original with patina and a little rust might be more desireable?

Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.