Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Puke Bottles / Crankcase venting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rand
I have a desmogged '75 2.0. Apparently there is no PCV valve and the only crankcase vent I'm aware of is from oil filler neck area directly to air cleaner intake. Are there adverse affects with just running that hose to an overflow bottle instead of the air cleaner port? Can it just be vented or is vacuum beneficial?
Rand
icon_bump.gif
Ok, I know that BS filter thing isn't working yet. SOMEONE help an idiot here...
bd1308
the barbed fitting on the oil breather IS the PCV valve.....that clearish whitish ring screws off so the PCV valve can be serviced....do it every oil change. The vac is beneficial and helps to allievate the crankcase from being pressurized....
Rand
Huh? '75 2.0, no PCV valve. No clearish whitish ring. Just a tit to connect a hose to the air cleaner. This is a vent to alleviate crankcase pressure.

Question is: Does connecting the hose to the intake (thus picking up some vacuum) really make a difference over just venting it out to an overflow bottle? If so, WHY?

Rand
Thanks Britt for the reply! I appreciate it.

But I'm still wondering about the difference between simply venting to the outside (whether to an outlet, or an overflow bottle, or a filtered capture and restore system, or whatever) compares to venting to a vacuum via the intake and how that extra air flow makes a difference.

???

messix
there is no benifit to venting it to a puke can. there is a reason that it is vented to the air cleaner, YOU wont have to breath the fumes coming out of the crank case. its not going to hurt preformance or make the engine run any differently.

its good for the enviroment keep it vented to the intake.
McMark
Nah, run it to the air cleaner. No advantage to changing it.
bd1308
woah. sorry then.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.