Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT but strangely cool
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Unobtanium-inc
I can't decide if I really like this, but I think I do.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Volkswagen-Be...vlO&vxp=mtr

RickS
Have to agree. Strangely appealing.
oakdalecurtis
Frankenvaugen
PlaysWithCars
Um... No. The side view is very appealing, very well done. But... no.

(The steering is going to be atrocious. The u-joint angles are going to have extreme accelerations when turning that's going to make it really lumpy feeling)
andrewb
I won't pretend to know how a vehicle drives just by looking at pictures but that shot under the hood is horrific. Rust, tatty wiring, scabby old brake lines, rough wobbly edges, chewed seals......and as for that 90 degree steering joint thing ???

Click to view attachment

It obviously does 'steer' - but for how long ? What baffles me almost as much is how someone can have the vision and practical skills to do all that external work and then still leave it looking like a crock of shit underneath.

As Adam says, visually it is quite appealing. Take that look to a rally in the UK and it would blow their minds. The only bit I don't like is the rear window treatment. Mechanically though I wouldn't even open a door for fear of what might fall off, never mind drive it.
Literati914
It somehow reminds me of that Porsche Hill Climb car that Wayne Carini had a few years ago.. but it WAS COOL! I want to say it was a 4 cam engine idea.gif , but this thing, I don't know - the proportions just aren't quite right.

IPB Image

Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(andrewb @ Apr 25 2020, 10:06 PM) *

I won't pretend to know how a vehicle drives just by looking at pictures but that shot under the hood is horrific. Rust, tatty wiring, scabby old brake lines, rough wobbly edges, chewed seals......and as for that 90 degree steering joint thing ???

Click to view attachment

It obviously does 'steer' - but for how long ? What baffles me almost as much is how someone can have the vision and practical skills to do all that external work and then still leave it looking like a crock of shit underneath.

As Adam says, visually it is quite appealing. Take that look to a rally in the UK and it would blow their minds. The only bit I don't like is the rear window treatment. Mechanically though I wouldn't even open a door for fear of what might fall off, never mind drive it.

The steering is horrific!
73-914
Needs a Type 2 steering setup
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.