Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Underside of floor pans
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ampex351
I want to improve the look of the underside (floor pans)of my '73 which is in very good shape. What's the best to do? Paint or new undercoat? Any brand names of either and method of applying?

Thanks.
Cairo94507
Before you do anything to that car I would suggest assessing the entire car. Read a lot of restoration threads. I do not believe it would serve you or the car to spray anything under that car until you have a proper plan in place.

Unfortunately a lot of people, (not saying you) buy these cars and try to just clean them up and flip them for a quick easy profit. Some shoot underseal all over everything hoping an uninformed buyer who does not know better will see that and think it is in like new condition. For me, it raises red flags, making the car possibly less in value unless the underside is properly prepared for new undercoating first and there are a lot of pictures documenting the entire preparation before any new products are applied. If you look at the complete restoration threads you will see what others have done to properly prepare a chassis for new underseal.

If I recall your pictures the underside of your car looked really nice. I would consider dropping the suspension and have new rubber bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, strut inserts, maybe caliper rebuilds, new master cylinder, soft brake lines, new SS gas lines, soft gas lines, have the actual suspension components powder coated, have hardware replated and then clean the underside of the chassis with a mild cleaning solution and a soft brush before putting it all back together. It's a slippery slope. beerchug.gif
burton73
Welcome Ampex351,

I used Wurth High Build Under seal on my 74 V8 car shown and it also was used on my restoration of my factory 6 at PMB number 41 the 30th car down the production line.

I cleaned the hell out of the underside and they ran out of Gray so I finished with Black.
This is the stuff. Takes around 3 cans to do the bottom without the fenders.

It smells bad but shoots really good. You need to where a respirator as you should with any paint product. It is rubberized but no stick to the touch but you can fell with a fingernail that it has a little give to it.

Bob B
welcome.png

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Ampex351
QUOTE(burton73 @ Apr 25 2020, 02:56 PM) *

Welcome Ampex351,

I used Wurth High Build Under seal on my 74 V8 car shown and it also was used on my restoration of my factory 6 at PMB number 41 the 30th car down the production line.

I cleaned the hell out of the underside and they ran out of Gray so I finished with Black.
This is the stuff. Takes around 3 cans to do the bottom without the fenders.

It smells bad but shoots really good. You need to where a respirator as you should with any paint product. It is rubberized but no stick to the touch but you can fell with a fingernail that it has a little give to it.

Bob B
welcome.png

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

That looks awesome! So...clean my exisiting pan....use the Wurth. Spray inside fenders to?
Thanks, Roger
BeatNavy
I used the same Wurth product as Burton and did the same thing, except I painted mine the body color. I wish I had pictures of the original. Floors were generally solid, but the underside was just dirty and dusty, like some PO used to drive it a long unpaved driveway at some point. It was messy and a lot work getting everything off, but I'm much happier with it now.

Click to view attachment
windforfun
Clean the car thoroughly & then drive it. KISS.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
stone guard and then light body color

QUOTE(Ampex351 @ Apr 25 2020, 11:30 AM) *

I want to improve the look of the underside (floor pans)of my '73 which is in very good shape. What's the best to do? Paint or new undercoat? Any brand names of either and method of applying?

Thanks.

bbrock
Quite a few of us have used tintable bed liner to both undercoat and "paint" at the same time.

IPB Image

Michael has a good point. Make sure you get good pics of the clean and solid underbelly before applying anything so you have proof you weren't just hiding problems.
burton73
I am going to do my under fenders as a rock can make a star chip like in the fenders. This is a small safety for that. I will paint everything Olympic Blue like the top end to be nice.

Bob B

And George, this Wurth high build seems to be just like the Wurth Stone Guard that I bought for my 6 from you 11 years ago.

Cairo94507
I agree with doing the underside of the fenders with whatever you use to seal the bottom and provide some protection from rocks. I have seen those upward dents when rocks come flying off tires and strike the inside of the fenders. beerchug.gif
windforfun
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 25 2020, 02:23 PM) *

I agree with doing the underside of the fenders with whatever you use to seal the bottom and provide some protection from rocks. I have seen those upward dents when rocks come flying off tires and strike the inside of the fenders. beerchug.gif

Do you tailgate?
Ampex351
QUOTE(burton73 @ Apr 25 2020, 03:52 PM) *

I am going to do my under fenders as a rock can make a star chip like in the fenders. This is a small safety for that. I will paint everything Olympic Blue like the top end to be nice.

Bob B

And George, this Wurth high build seems to be just like the Wurth Stone Guard that I bought for my 6 from you 11 years ago.

I had a perfect beautiful silver paint job on my 911S until a pretty good sized rock flew up under the rear fender and push out a nice reverse dent. Didn't break the paint. I'm going to see if the Paintless Dent Repair guy can improve it. Did you spray color over the Wurth?

Roger
Literati914
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Apr 25 2020, 03:34 PM) *

I used the same Wurth product as Burton and did the same thing, except I painted mine the body color. ..
Click to view attachment

That looks great Rob! first.gif

QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 25 2020, 03:46 PM) *

Quite a few of us have used tintable bed liner to both undercoat and "paint" at the same time.

IPB Image

Which product is that specifically, Brent ? (looks good too, btw)
bbrock
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Apr 25 2020, 08:07 PM) *

Which product is that specifically, Brent ? (looks good too, btw)

Thanks. I waffled for a long time on what to do and am really happy with the route I took. It is Upol Raptor. It tints very nice and easy to apply. My only real complaint is that it is silver metalic which winds up looking a lot like primer in the pics.
partsman912
Click to view attachment

This is my current restoration , 1973 2.0 . Drivers side floor is original , passenger side is new . I used gray tinted Raptor bed liner then painted it the original color of Ravenna Green . It's the second time I have used this product and I am very pleased witht he result.
Literati914

Welcome Ampex351,

I used Wurth High Build Under seal ..

Takes around 3 cans to do the bottom without the fenders.

Bob B
welcome.png

Hey Bob.. did the 3 cans include under the front & rear trunks as well as under the steering rack ?

Also - with any of these products, is the assumption that there's no scuffing or preparation for painting over them ?
BeatNavy
I think I may have used closer to 5 cans, but I can't remember completely. It was a tough doing it on a mid-rise scissor lift (although jack stands wouldn't be so easy either), and so parts of it probably didn't go on as efficiently as I would like due to the painting angle.

I put a high-bond rattle can primer on top before putting the color coat on, but otherwise no additional prep.
burton73
Here is a picture of the bottom of my 6 number 41. PMB was in charge of the restoration and this texture and amount of yellow color is what they believe to be the correct amount of texture and paint intensity as it would have come from the factory. Small point but one that I think is right.

Bob B

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
burton73
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Apr 25 2020, 11:21 PM) *

Welcome Ampex351,

I used Wurth High Build Under seal ..

Takes around 3 cans to do the bottom without the fenders.

Bob B
welcome.png

Hey Bob.. did the 3 cans include under the front & rear trunks as well as under the steering rack ?

Also - with any of these products, is the assumption that there's no scuffing or preparation for painting over them ?

Yes 3 cans did Front and rear trunks and under the steering rack. I personally cleaned the hell out of the bottom with scrapers and wire wheels and implements of destruction. Air tools galore. Used up a lot of consumables on it. Same as I did on my 6 before Eric picked it up but they went to town on the 6 with blasting just to make sure it was cleaned up to their specification.

I have the pleasure of having a big industrial compressor here at my shop work

Bob B

Cairo94507
No. When I said rocks come flying off tires, I was not clear enough, I meant coming off my own tires as the car is driving down the road. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.