Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Control Module Wiring Help!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Thunderchief
Please help! I was cleaning up the floor boards and gently moved the control module over and out of the way. When I went to put it back the brown ground wire came out. Also there were two black wires not connected but I couldn't remember if they were connected in the first place. Any help with where they go would be much appreciated. As this is my weakest ability, simple explanations are needs. Thanks!Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
Iirc, connecting the two big yellow wires bypasses all that.
GregAmy
agree.gif That's what most people do.

In case you don't know, that's the seat belt control module; I think its purpose is to stop you from starting the car if seatbelts are not connected. If you remove it all, connect the two big yellow wires together and tuck/protect (tape) the others, it bypasses that.

I think I read somewhere you may lose the reminder buzzer if the key is left in? Don't know that for sure.
JeffBowlsby
The repair if you must, and the bypass solution:
StarBear
Yes, that's what I did just a few weeks after buying mine in 1974. Disconnecting it DOES shut off the reminder buzzer (anything of weight on the seat triggers the buzzer).
Thunderchief
Very cool, thanks guys. How about the brown ground wire, where would that go?
GregAmy
You have no relays installed in your top photo, so someone has already bypassed the system by putting in that bigger brown wire across the terminals for the two yellow wires.

Brown is always ground in a 914. Disconcerting that someone would use a brown wire as a jumper instead of yellow, but that's my style.

So your loose brown wires is probably a ground. However, since you're already jumpered on the yellow wires, does the engine crank with the key? If so, I'd not worry about that loose brown wire, it's not doing anything.

If it were me I'd de-pin those yellow wires and connect together like Jeff illustrated and be done with it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.