Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tartan seat surprise.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jaredmcginness
Hey guys,

I posted a few of these pics in my build thread as well. I figured it was a cool enough find to post here too.

I picked up a set of "drivers quality" Corduroy seats for $50 from an enthusiast down in Virginia yesterday.

He said "They may have been recovered" We get in the car, take a look, and found this.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Wow.

So this morning I go to town on these:

IPB Image

Totally beautiful and brand new #47(?) tartan beneath the musty Cord.

IPB Image

Crack open the tops, kind of gross:

IPB Image

IPB Image

3 hours with a seam ripper later:

Voila

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The vinyl is is nice shape too. Quite a find for the price. I assume a dealer covered these up in 75/76 as a customer request... or maybe just couldn't sell the plaid and switched it.
Eitherway the ugly corduroy kept the tartan safe for 50 years. I think these will look great in my Irish Green.

Cheers beerchug.gif
Jett
GREAT FIND! They look amazing!
Frankvw
Wow, that is great ! I hope they match with your carcolor....otherwise we need to take them from your hands for that 50 bucks :-)
Literati914
Wow, some times things just go your way - good karma probably.
twistedstang
Wow! Great find!

I would totally run those in a green car too.
Root_Werks
Wow! In such great shape, good find!
mepstein
Big win on those seats. beerchug.gif
ndfrigi
QUOTE(jaredmcginness @ Apr 26 2020, 08:50 AM) *

Hey guys,

I posted a few of these pics in my build thread as well. I figured it was a cool enough find to post here too.

I picked up a set of "drivers quality" Corduroy seats for $50 from an enthusiast down in Virginia yesterday.

He said "They may have been recovered" We get in the car, take a look, and found this.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Wow.

So this morning I go to town on these:

IPB Image

Totally beautiful and brand new #47(?) tartan beneath the musty Cord.

IPB Image

Crack open the tops, kind of gross:

IPB Image

IPB Image

3 hours with a seam ripper later:

Voila

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The vinyl is is nice shape too. Quite a find for the price. I assume a dealer covered these up in 75/76 as a customer request... or maybe just couldn't sell the plaid and switched it.
Eitherway the ugly corduroy kept the tartan safe for 50 years. I think these will look great in my Irish Green.

Cheers beerchug.gif

wow nice find! congratulations!
Wait! that will be better match my car.

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Treat them with Aerospace 303 UV protection it will help keep them from fading.
StarBear
AWESOME! Yes, those will do well in a green car (and that red one, too!). Congratulations of the find of the month!
drem914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 26 2020, 10:01 AM) *

Treat them with Aerospace 303 UV protection it will help keep them from fading.

Can it be used on the fabric also? I thought it was for vinyl and plastics.
FlacaProductions
Wow....clean livin'.....that's a great story!
Ansbacher
That is the ultimate Easter Egg find I've ever seen. You are one lucky dude!

Ansbacher
stevegm
Very cool. I have that exact tartan in my car. Love it.
JOEPROPER
Green car, red seats... Christmas car..
Will look awesome! smilie_pokal.gif
iankarr
Who needs a "barn find" when you have a "butt find"!

Awesome score!
911GT2
Nice! Gotta Love the 70's colors!
framos914
50 bucks. Wow, great find!!
roblav1
What a find! Those would go perfect in my GT build.
nditiz1
I swear I have seen fabric like that before on another set of seats. Now, it makes me want to scour the internet for people selling seats with corduroy fabric so I can rip them open like a xmas present, awesome find biggrin.gif
jaredmcginness
Thanks guys. It was indeed like opening a present. I kept waiting for a huge section of wear or a large cut. But I lucked out this time around.
jagalyn
Great find... PO must not have liked them...
mepstein
I got a pair in a white '75 one owner car but they were very worn and had sheepskin covers that had gotten wet and smelled bad. But the whole car was $200 so it worked out fine.
flat4guy
Find of the month - that is awesome......
Bartlett 914
My Sympathies to the seller. Don't get hurt kicking yourself LOL. Great find. Those look great
jaredmcginness
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Apr 27 2020, 11:15 AM) *

My Sympathies to the seller. Don't get hurt kicking yourself LOL. Great find. Those look great

beerchug.gif lol-2.gif Thanks!
mbseto
Wow, awesome find. Can you imagine if the corduroy was in better shape, you might have been sitting on original tartan for years without ever knowing...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.