Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Chrome Bumpers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drgouk
Hello,
I have a 1975 914 1.8 that I am converting to a 3.0 6, 5 lug conversion with all original parts, 914/6 rear callipers by PMB, Brembo AM callipers by PMB etc
Now I'm looking at doing the bumper backdate, but I am wondering which route I should take, Find a set of OE Chrome Bumpers, Repair and re chrome or go with the stainless bumpers as supplied by Auto Atlanta etc?
What are peoples experience with the fit of the stainless bumpers? I want the car to be nice. I don't mind going through the hassle of re chroming if necessary, If the end result is worth it. Please let me know your experience. Also keen to locate some nice OE bumpers if that's the recommended route. Thanks David
roblav1
You can buy the stainless bumpers direct from Vietnam, where they are made, at sone cost reduction. I debated it but decided to use my 73 chrome bumpers even though not perfect, rather than fiberglass.
mepstein
Unless you have access to an inexpensive chrome shop, buying the ss bumpers is the easiest way to go. By the time you pay for bumpers 200-300 each, chrome $400-600 each and multiple shipping, the ss ones are the way to go. Also there is no guarantee that a 50 year old bumper hasn't been tweaked and will even fit your car.

But someone from the chrome bumper group buy last year may be willing to sell a set so it never hurts to ask.
drgouk
Thanks for the replies, Whats the fit like on the stainless? any pictures of these bumpers fitted to cars?
I guess the advantage of the OE bumper is the ability to tweak it and perfect the fit prior to having it chromed, if its in reasonable shape to start with.
drgouk
Also, do a mint set of 75-76 Bumpers have any value?
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(drgouk @ Apr 26 2020, 05:11 PM) *

Pretty good small boat anchors.
mepstein
QUOTE(drgouk @ Apr 26 2020, 08:11 PM) *

Now that original has value they are worth not throwing out. Especially if the rubber covers are good, keep them and recycle the steel. It's like core seats. Not a lot of value but shouldn't be thrown away.
Coondog
QUOTE(roblav1 @ Apr 26 2020, 03:54 PM) *

You can buy the stainless bumpers direct from Vietnam, where they are made

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
Yeah tell me how that’s going to turn out.

Put a WTB ad or buy the Vietnam bumpers from AA, Hi performance House or other vendors. Shipping is the killer on these, I am guessing NZ means New Zealand so it’s going to be double killer. I am not knocking the Vietnam bumpers, I bought mine from HPH for my 75 backdate.
Are you planning on cutting your front bumper for your oil cooler ??

Sounds like time is on your side, I have seen some great deals on this site so be patient.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
if you can buy good used chrome bumpers you can have them rechromed by the bumper boys bumper shop in california for 450 per bumper. Hard to straighten so if you can send them straight ones you will get a better job.

The stainless are studier than the original chrome but actually look the same. We had the guys in vietnam make our own molds for our exclusive use so after back and forth many times, have perfect fit ones. we have many sets in stock (along with the bumper top seals, the bumper guards, the chrome driving light grilles and the license plate lights and chrome bumper plugs
Bartlett 914
I am pleased with AA SS bumpers. Looks great
BENBRO02
QUOTE(drgouk @ Apr 26 2020, 08:11 PM) *

Maybe in 20 years
gandalf_025
The stainless bumpers are all made by Group Harrington.
They are based in the U.K and the factory is in Vietnam..
The price they state on their web site including Shipping
looks pretty good if the dollar conversion table
I used was accurate...
Bought mine direct from Harrington a few years ago..
Nice people to do business with and the bumpers showed up a
few weeks later via DHL..

They make Stainless Bumpers for a lot of cars and you can
usually find them selling on e-bay ..
mepstein
https://groupharrington.com/brand/porsche/
gandalf_025
This what the Conversion table says..
How accurate is it..???

Click to view attachment
porschetub
QUOTE(Coondog @ Apr 27 2020, 01:20 PM) *

QUOTE(roblav1 @ Apr 26 2020, 03:54 PM) *

You can buy the stainless bumpers direct from Vietnam, where they are made

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
Yeah tell me how that’s going to turn out.

Put a WTB ad or buy the Vietnam bumpers from AA, Hi performance House or other vendors. Shipping is the killer on these, I am guessing NZ means New Zealand so it’s going to be double killer. I am not knocking the Vietnam bumpers, I bought mine from HPH for my 75 backdate.
Are you planning on cutting your front bumper for your oil cooler ??

Sounds like time is on your side, I have seen some great deals on this site so be patient.

Yep freight is a killer to NZ ,currency difference + GST (15%) + actual shipping it really mounts up,my freight forward is also charging a low volume surcharge due to Covid 19.
I have stopped importing now after nearly 20yrs,its just not worth it,only stuff that I can't buy in this country comes in now.
Another problem is that if you exceed a total of $400nzd you then have to pay customs duty.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.