Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine hot
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ebradley
Hi
I just purchased a 74 Porsche 914 2.0 in amazing condition. Is it normal for the rear trunk lid and top of engine grille to be extremely hot after driving? The temp gauge reads normal. Thoughts appreciated
Thnks
EB
Dustin
When I got my car all of the wiring for the tail lights was melted.
Ebradley
QUOTE(Dustin @ Apr 26 2020, 07:03 PM) *

When I got my car all of the wiring for the tail lights was melted.

Was there a problem you were able to fix?
jim_hoyland
Do you have a muffler heat-shield ?
Dustin
Yes, the heat shield is there. It's just that the exhaust is right below the trunk and the wires had been being heated for 30 years. If you drive your regular car your hood is going to be hot when you're done too.
Spoke
welcome.png

Air cooled engines can run hot. The engine lid and everything inside the compartment will get a little warm when the engine is running since ambient air is sucked in the engine grill and expelled under the car. When you turn the engine off, the air reverses and the hot air around the pistons/cylinders/case rises and heats up the engine compartment as the pistons/cylinders/engine cools off.
Ebradley
QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 26 2020, 10:09 PM) *

welcome.png

Air cooled engines can run hot. The engine lid and everything inside the compartment will get a little warm when the engine is running since ambient air is sucked in the engine grill and expelled under the car. When you turn the engine off, the air reverses and the hot air around the pistons/cylinders/case rises and heats up the engine compartment as the pistons/cylinders/engine cools off.

Thanks for the input
Mikey914
Not unusual.
When you say hot, it’s relative. If you haven’t done so change the oil don’t use synthetic unless that is what is currently being run.
Enjoy
bbrock
Didn't see an answer from the OP whether the muffler heat shield is still on. There should be a metal shield under the trunk floor between the trunk and muffler. Also, there should be a thick plastic covered pad inside the trunk either covering the whole trunk floor, or just the rear portion over the muffler (can't remember when they switched). Yes, the trunk gets hot but shouldn't be melting wiring or anything. Don't drive around with a box of candles back there though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.