Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: where to put VDO fuel gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
Been looking for pictures of what I have in mind, but no luck - I figured someone's done it before. I'm trying to avoid a hanging pod, and install a fuel gauge in the dash (while keeping a radio too). I'd install a volt meter too if I could make it happen.

I've got a 2-1/6" VDO fuel gauge (cockpit line, I think) and am trying to decide where to install it. My car has no fog light switch from the factory so that area's one option. But I am adding fogs and switch too (but that could go elsewhere I suppose).

Another option is to just delete the cig lighter (or move it somewhere else) and put the fuel gauge there. What have others done? Didn't GT cars have some similar setup? Anyone got pictures of small in-dash accessory gauges installed? thx.
Retroracer
Thats funny, am going through the same decision making process, having just modified a Sportomatic 911 oil temp/press gauge to replicate a 914/6 one, as well as having worked up a replica 60mm fuel gauge. For the latter:

- GT's mostly used the angled radio delete mount (but not all); but in my case I already have a rally inspired switch (horn , washer, fuel pump) and fuse panel fabbed and mounted
- I also thought about clearing out the cigarette lighter area and hole saw it in there; then relocating the socket (or adding hidden USB ports), probably plan B
- but plan A is making up a panel to replace the ashtray, and putting the fuel gauge there, even though it covers the heater controls somewhat
- I figure if I mount it low or on the transmission hump I'll never look at it...

So basically on the fence. Let us know what you go with!

- Tony

sixnotfour
beerchug.gif
wysri9
I know you want to avoid a hanging pod but was pretty pleased with the look of my custom dash after installing at the weekend smile.gif Thats cylinder head temp and fuel in the pod.

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
here is a bunch
rgalla9146
I've had the gauges for years.
Not a difficult install. I'm sure one of these VDO pods can be sourced.
Will probably switch to a 911 temp/press left gauge and put volt /fuel
in this pod instead
dr914@autoatlanta.com
that is where the factory put the gauge. That car needs the clutch cable adjusted!!!

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 27 2020, 01:39 AM) *

beerchug.gif

dr914@autoatlanta.com
This 916 shows where the factory mounted the gauge, along with the clock. Many guys have drilled holes in the dash, as you can see in the pictures. VDO makes rubber and steel gauge holders and there is now a pillar mounting available as well. That 916 needs the clutch cable adjusted!

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 27 2020, 01:39 AM) *

beerchug.gif

Literati914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 27 2020, 03:39 AM) *

beerchug.gif

*Not sure why the 'quote button' didn't add sixnotfour's pic ? confused24.gif

Anyway, that was actually my no.1 choice, I love the simplicity of the deposit box consoles.. however, I also plan to have A/C... so, headbang.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Apr 27 2020, 05:41 PM) *

Been looking for pictures of what I have in mind, but no luck - I figured someone's done it before. I'm trying to avoid a hanging pod, and install a fuel gauge in the dash (while keeping a radio too). I'd install a volt meter too if I could make it happen.

I've got a 2-1/6" VDO fuel gauge (cockpit line, I think) and am trying to decide where to install it. My car has no fog light switch from the factory so that area's one option. But I am adding fogs and switch too (but that could go elsewhere I suppose).

Another option is to just delete the cig lighter (or move it somewhere else) and put the fuel gauge there. What have others done? Didn't GT cars have some similar setup? Anyone got pictures of small in-dash accessory gauges installed? thx.

PO did the cig lighter location,good spot and easy to read.
Click to view attachment
Literati914
QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 27 2020, 02:33 PM) *

Click to view attachment

smilie_pokal.gif , yes that's what I had in mind.. even a volt meter too! So, there's a fog light switch to the right of the fuel gauge? ..and what's next to that? Any shots with the wheel installed?
porschetub
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Apr 28 2020, 08:10 AM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 27 2020, 02:33 PM) *

Click to view attachment

smilie_pokal.gif , yes that's what I had in mind.. even a volt meter too! So, there's a fog light switch to the right of the fuel gauge? ..and what's next to that? Any shots with the wheel installed?

Secret switch the operates the supercharger clutch lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif ,seriously...it is a VW switch I had so when I did my heater control delete I wired the blower to run on full speed for screen defrost,works real good,I can also use it for ventilation.
I have headers so have deleted all parts not needed,I have this weird idea about carrying around weight I don't need biggrin.gif .
Volt meter is spaced in the same location on the other side of the column and powered off the centre console wiring,my car had a console but PO never supplied it with sale...didn't want it anyway.
Downside to this fuel gauge location is the lack of space under the dash to fit it but it can be done.
My fuel low level is wired to the 911 combi gauge to what I remember is the h/brake warning light ,I have installed a 96db warning buzzer under the drivers seat for handbrake.
Hope this helps,cheers.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.