Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GB for roof ski racks who’s interested
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mikey914
We have been working on these for some time they are not quite ready but are now eminent. We need at least 10 takers to make this work.

Parts we will be including are new plugs that go on the body because if you remove these (it they are even there) they are most likely to fall apart.

The front and rear bars in polished 316 grade stainless. We will also include new leather straps. These will be true reproductions.

The rubber base isolation pads will also be included.

We will offer another version that I will detail more on later.

The issue is I don’t have costing done on these yet. I’m going to be able to have it shortly But for now the number will be somewhere in the $200-$300 range. The more I can make the better it gets. If I’m wrong and there is more demand we can do better on price, so for now I’m trying to gauge the market.

Who is interested in a set?
jd74914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 27 2020, 09:37 AM) *

The front and rear bars in polished 316 grade stainless.

Are you going to passivate the welds? If you're doing a lot the costs generally aren't too high and would keep HAZ rust away for a loooooooong time.
wes
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Apr 27 2020, 08:35 AM) *

Are you going to passivate the welds? If you're doing a lot the costs generally aren't too high and would keep HAZ rust away for a loooooooong time.

I’m in for one!
Cal
Here are some additional photos to wet everyone's appetite.....
914 RZ-1
I'm interested in a rack that holds a bike securely. These don't look like they'd be strong enough.
Mikey914
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Apr 27 2020, 08:35 AM) *

Yes we do on all of our stainless. We do a lot of marine work so it’s nothing new
Mikey914
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Apr 27 2020, 12:40 PM) *

I'm interested in a rack that holds a bike securely. These don't look like they'd be strong enough.

Hence option.
Superhawk996
I have a long history of putting things on sports cars that don't belong.

Click to view attachment

I need a set - pronto! biggrin.gif
DRPHIL914
yep i am in
pete000
Its about time =), of course I'm in !!!!
ibmiked
I would like a set as well.
Mercurial
I'm in.
Steve
I’m in
raynekat
Will these ski racks come with the rubber inserts for the front windshield frame?
Mikey914
QUOTE(raynekat @ Apr 27 2020, 08:01 PM) *

Will these ski racks come with the rubber inserts for the front windshield frame?

Will be a complete unit with leather straps, all parts needed
raynekat
Also what kind of time frame are you looking at for delivery? This fall, next year?
Mikey914
Judging from the interest looks like we could move forward and have product in the next 60 days. Not quite sure if we actually have the 10 here, but that's where the numbers start to make sense and the momentum shows that we should be able to get 10 takers.
After that the numbers start getting better.

-Mark
914e
Depending on what the options are I'm interested. Can always use a roof rack. Not that I know what snow is.
911GT2
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 28 2020, 06:21 AM) *

Judging from the interest looks like we could move forward and have product in the next 60 days. Not quite sure if we actually have the 10 here, but that's where the numbers start to make sense and the momentum shows that we should be able to get 10 takers.
After that the numbers start getting better.

-Mark

If 60-days then sign me up.
stevend914
I'm in for one set
live free & drive
I'm in for a set too.
Mikey914
So it looks like a solid 10 so I will be ordering metal this next week and working on the flanges / seals. biggrin.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 2 2020, 03:28 PM) *

So it looks like a solid 10 so I will be ordering metal this next week and working on the flanges / seals. biggrin.gif

aktion035.gif
DRPHIL914
icon_bump.gif

are we close yet?
wes
Well I’m ready for the ski rack!
Temperatures here starting Thursday 102, Fri 105, Sat 107, Sun 102, Mon.102.
Got Snow, let’s go!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(wes @ Aug 13 2020, 01:05 AM) *

Got Snow, let’s go!

Celius? well i know here its 90 yet too , no snow here lol, but in NC its low 50's at night and low 70's already.
actually i plan onusing this for mounting some type of roof , since you really cant use the targa top, but there are a couple vintage VW ones that would work or the Carbone Livery 911 one may work, the mount brackets can be turned and used front and back instead of side to side, will see how it all works out but i think its doable. --- probably will not ski , but may mount some vintage skis to it , or surf board !!!! that would be appropriate in our neck of the woods, or shall i say beach
914e
QUOTE(wes @ Aug 12 2020, 10:05 PM) *

Got Snow, let’s go!

102 is starting to feel down right chilly, I think we have had 36 days of over 110 so far. This summer has just been brutal starting the first week of May hitting 105. Usually the heat hitting hard in early May gives us a mild summer, not this year.
Mikey914
Yes we have focused on completing the roll bar pads and new product is almost ready.
Pics next week.
We had started on these but wound up getting caught up finishing up a few things 1st.
thelogo
Never mentioned here yet ?

This mod exponentially increases the /4s value .

Is this not the same car that made a first.gif at auction for 4 s

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d...7160176783.html

Was listed at 45 . wtf . is going on here ?

Did they sell it to themselves or ?
Mikey914
We started with the flanges. My buddy that had a tube polisher no longer has it so I was looking for one to do in house.
The bending and welding will just take a little bit.
As soon as I have the pattern and sample I'll post up the GB.
Mark
TJB/914
Yes, I am in.
Tom
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(914e @ Aug 13 2020, 04:20 PM) *

Got Snow, let’s go!

102 is starting to feel down right chilly, I think we have had 36 days of over 110 so far. This summer has just been brutal starting the first week of May hitting 105. Usually the heat hitting hard in early May gives us a mild summer, not this year.

ah, hello, ... you chose to live in a desert poke.gif deserts are.... well, HOT!
that would be like me complaining of our 98degrees and 90%humidity in August in coastal South Carolina or Florida , btw i’ve been out there many times and i would take 110 and 20% humidity over 98 and 90% humidity, but i can complain too much it it what it is, and it is what i knew it was when we moved here..... beats Minnesota winters!
wes
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 14 2020, 04:48 AM) *

Got Snow, let’s go!

ah, hello, ... you chose to live in a desert poke.gif deserts are.... well, HOT!
that would be like me complaining of our 98degrees and 90%humidity in August in coastal South Carolina or Florida , btw i’ve been out there many times and i would take 110 and 20% humidity over 98 and 90% humidity, but i can complain too much it it what it is, and it is what i knew it was when we moved here..... beats Minnesota winters!

We solved the high temperatures by a 40 minute drive over the hill to the coast for some Pleasant 70 to 75° weather as we camp at the beach. beer.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(wes @ Aug 14 2020, 12:29 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 14 2020, 04:48 AM) *

Got Snow, let’s go!

We solved the high temperatures by a 40 minute drive over the hill to the coast for some Pleasant 70 to 75° weather as we camp at the beach. beer.gif

beerchug.gif
nice!! i can get that 70’degree weather as well but it’s a 4-5 hour drive to the mountains of western NC! actually looking at a summer cabin in Banner Elk NC for that reason, for retirement (summer anyway) their current temp now is 74 and was 56 this morning! ours not too bad, 78 this morning 89 now. lots of rain recently so that has kept to manageable, but my next project is AC in the garage and Spray foam on roof of garage, just too humid to work much on the car in summer it’s instant sweat, even at night!
VaccaRabite
Is it still possible to get on this?
Do you have any ideas on how bikes would get mounted?
Zach
walterolin
If this is still open, I would like one set.
wes
I’m in for one!
gereed75
Hmmmm.... bikes hmmm
Mike D.
Does this make my Real Original ski rack now worthless....?

Just Kidding, Look nice but I already have one. smile.gif
Mikey914
No, but we do have new leather straps just like OEM that are coming on line in 9 days or so.Mark biggrin.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 15 2020, 04:11 PM) *

No, but we do have new leather straps just like OEM that are coming on line in 9 days or so.Mark biggrin.gif

everybody loves leather right?
live free & drive
I think this guy is dreaming...

https://nh.craigslist.org/pts/d/kittery-poi...7202080892.html

ibmiked
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 27 2020, 10:37 AM) *

We have been working on these for some time they are not quite ready but are now eminent. We need at least 10 takers to make this work.

Parts we will be including are new plugs that go on the body because if you remove these (it they are even there) they are most likely to fall apart.

The front and rear bars in polished 316 grade stainless. We will also include new leather straps. These will be true reproductions.

The rubber base isolation pads will also be included.

We will offer another version that I will detail more on later.

The issue is I don’t have costing done on these yet. I’m going to be able to have it shortly But for now the number will be somewhere in the $200-$300 range. The more I can make the better it gets. If I’m wrong and there is more demand we can do better on price, so for now I’m trying to gauge the market.

Who is interested in a set?

Still in!
Cal
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Oct 15 2020, 12:54 AM) *

Does this make my Real Original ski rack now worthless....?

Just Kidding, Look nice but I already have one. smile.gif

No, it just makes the original racks worth more.
euro911
Any pricing yet? ... popcorn[1].gif
Mikey914
We still have some variables that we are trying to get ironed out. We did get these that will be ready in mass in about 14 days

The devil is in the details. We got the leather thickness, color, and embossing on these as well as hardware. We working on consistent bends an are actually making tooling to do these. Polishing will be a big variable too, so not a price yet, but we are doing our best to keep the cost down on these. I can say it will be reasonable.

Mark
ibmiked
Has there been any progress on these? I'm getting ready to place an order on your website and thought I might combine shipping.
Mikey914
Bringing in some tube, but these are still a bit out.
windforfun
QUOTE(Cal @ Apr 27 2020, 09:13 AM) *

Here are some additional photos to wet everyone's appetite.....

Where did you get the chrome tip for your tail pipe?
Steve
Take me off the list. I found a used one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.