Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Water cooled radiator question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
What to do with the overflow port on top?

I have a overflow tank in the engine compartment yet not sure what to do up front.

A neighbor was suggesting using a tee and run it to one of the radiator hoses going to or from the radiator.

I have no problem doing the electrical on the car, the cooling system is my weak point.

Thanks

Port in question is the upper/longer port
Click to view attachment
cali914
Mike weld it shut or better yet make the top one a bleed. Your highest point is still in the rear so your system will bleed off there but sometimes when its warm you could pop the bleed on top of the radiator and bleed any trapped air there
Chris914n6
Looks different than mine. On the factory one that is a bleed valve.

My original setup with the Corrado rad had a bleed valve on top and it was awesome.
Andyrew
I put a small hose and a bolt to stop it. I use it for bleeding, grab a long hose and run it way high and turn my pump on while I fill it. Once water comes out of that hose I know its bled enough that the system will self bleed the rest.

I've got a video coming out I THINK Friday going over this specific radiator, just FYI.

Mueller
My bleed valves are on the sides of tank, one high and one low.

Of course in my application neither one is easy to get to.
Mueller
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 27 2020, 04:15 PM) *

I put a small hose and a bolt to stop it. I use it for bleeding, grab a long hose and run it way high and turn my pump on while I fill it. Once water comes out of that hose I know its bled enough that the system will self bleed the rest.

I've got a video coming out I THINK Friday going over this specific radiator, just FYI.

I looked at your thread as well as Mike's Audi thread and I saw the hoses, just didn't know what they went to.
Andyrew
zip zilch, nada, nothing.

IPB Image
76-914
Used once to bleed the radiator. Otherwise, it just sits there. It was a way to cap it off that served a function.

Click to view attachment
Mueller
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 27 2020, 04:59 PM) *

Used once to bleed the radiator. Otherwise, it just sits there. It was a way to cap it off that served a function.

Thanks, I like that shrouding.
Andyrew
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 27 2020, 05:12 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 27 2020, 04:59 PM) *

Thanks, I like that shrouding.

agree.gif

Kent, mind if I use that pic in my next video?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.