Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got a dent! Need some advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 RZ-1
I dropped a board on my month-old paint job that I did myself. Much swearing ensued.

I have some paint left over, so I can paint the whole rear trunk lid. But I need to fix the bent corner and the dent in the middle.

1. Is the corner dent easily fixable by just bending it back? What's the best way to do this?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

2. The dent in the middle is right over one of the cross members on the other side. I thought I could drill a hole in it, then tap out the dent. Thoughts?

Click to view attachment

Thanks!
jim_hoyland
I feel your pain; I recently had the garage door come down on the front hood.
Fortunately, Hagerty’s covered the whole job...
My advice would be to insure with Hagertys for an agreed value.
bkrantz
For the dent in the middle, maybe try a puller. I got this last week but have not tried it yet.
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Apr 28 2020, 07:32 PM) *

For the dent in the middle, maybe try a puller. I got this last week but have not tried it yet.

Let me know how well it works. My dent is about 1/8" deep and about 1.5" around, maybe less.
914 RZ-1
Any body work people want to chime in? I'd like to do this myself. The other option is to buy another trunk lid, which I'm working on.
Cairo94507
I second the replacement trunk lid idea. If you can find one that is not loaded with bonds and rust you would be ahead fete game especially since your paint job is so fresh and you have left over paint. Don't beat yourself up over the dent, stuff happens. beerchug.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
easy enough to straighten, but because of the cracked paint it will need to be ground to bare metal and body worked then the paint blended. not an easy repair
914e
As much work as it would to prep a replacement lid you could fix that one. Mine had bent corners on both lids, I just bent the edges back to level with the rest of the lid. The one the middle use paint-less dent removal tools. You should able to get them back with a tiny amount of filler. Block the whole thing out and respray the whole lid.
Andyrew
Did you paint this yourself?

If you had a bodyshop paint this I would 100% take it to the shop and have them fix it. They'll fix it MUCH faster than what you can do it and with less headaches. The corner just bend back, but the dent in the middle, boy howdy that is going to be fun..
914 RZ-1
I took it to a local body shop. They are going to get the dents out and primer it for me. I'll sand and paint it myself. The "stupid tax" was $250 (ouch) and goes to a local business. I painted the whole car myself, so I can sand and paint no problem, but dent repair is an art that takes practice and skills. I was lucky that my car only had very minor scratches and dings in it when I restored it.

Dolly and hammer sets are either cheap garbage or cost as much as having a repair shop do it.

The dents are a bit too deep for me to use a paintless dent removal kit, too. The dents are not just pushed in metal, they are bent and pushed in. The corner of the wood piece is what hit. The piece of oak that did this is now a cup holder and a box.

StarBear
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Apr 30 2020, 01:44 PM) *

I took it to a local body shop. They are going to get the dents out and primer it for me. I'll sand and paint it myself. The "stupid tax" was $250 (ouch) and goes to a local business. I painted the whole car myself, so I can sand and paint no problem, but dent repair is an art that takes practice and skills. I was lucky that my car only had very minor scratches and dings in it when I restored it.

Dolly and hammer sets are either cheap garbage or cost as much as having a repair shop do it.

The dents are a bit too deep for me to use a paintless dent removal kit, too. The dents are not just pushed in metal, they are bent and pushed in. The corner of the wood piece is what hit. The piece of oak that did this is now a cup holder and a box.

That'll teach that oak piece not to mess with you! Bwahahahaaa
Andyrew
Smart choice. If you tried to fix it you would have gotten oil canning or just a ton of bodywork/filler.

Be sure you put the same primer color on the car prior to final paint, or else the trunk will be shaded differently.
preach
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Apr 28 2020, 10:32 PM) *

Just bought that for my wife's Audi. $70 shipped is a no brainer
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.