Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Conversion Motor Mounts... Any recommendations?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Detroit
Greetings, all.
I'm about to take the plunge into the engine conversion pool (swamp), and could use a bit of advice from the community. I've bought a 3.0 SC motor to transplant into my '74 1.8. In fact, I bought an original 914/6 engine first, and then decided that if I'm going to tackle this, I should do a proper job of it. If I wait any longer to start this whole process, I'm liable to buy a 3.4, so I'd better get cracking...
Anyway, there appear to be several options out there for mounting said 3.0 to the bulkhead, and I was hoping all you lot with experience doing this would have some recommendations...
The car will obviously no longer be OEM, so originality isn't that much of a concern to me. That said, I'd like to do this in a manner in which "Porsche might have done it". I don't imagine there is a staggering cost difference between the various options, so that isn't a huge factor either. Ease of installation (both the mount itself and engine) is a factor, but ultimately I'd say an elegant final solution is most important to me. So... What say you all?
Thanks in advance.

Eric
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Rich Johnson makes a very very good bulkhead mount for your engine displacement

QUOTE(Detroit @ Apr 29 2020, 10:17 AM) *

Greetings, all.
I'm about to take the plunge into the engine conversion pool (swamp), and could use a bit of advice from the community. I've bought a 3.0 SC motor to transplant into my '74 1.8. In fact, I bought an original 914/6 engine first, and then decided that if I'm going to tackle this, I should do a proper job of it. If I wait any longer to start this whole process, I'm liable to buy a 3.4, so I'd better get cracking...
Anyway, there appear to be several options out there for mounting said 3.0 to the bulkhead, and I was hoping all you lot with experience doing this would have some recommendations...
The car will obviously no longer be OEM, so originality isn't that much of a concern to me. That said, I'd like to do this in a manner in which "Porsche might have done it". I don't imagine there is a staggering cost difference between the various options, so that isn't a huge factor either. Ease of installation (both the mount itself and engine) is a factor, but ultimately I'd say an elegant final solution is most important to me. So... What say you all?
Thanks in advance.

Eric

Steve
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 29 2020, 10:23 AM) *

Rich Johnson makes a very very good bulkhead mount for your engine displacement

Greetings, all.
Thanks in advance.

Eric

agree.gif It also uses stock 911 motor mounts or sport mounts. PMS also makes a tilting mount, but how much crap would you have to disconnect to take advantage of it. Especially if your running heat exchangers.
Detroit
Thanks, fellas!
JOEPROPER
This topic is in question out there (for me at least). I bought a Naro Escape Mount, but have read that this and some others may leave the engine an inch or two too high in the engine bay. I'm not sure what the answer is, but am anxious to hear what others have done before I get begin my conversion too.
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
Steve
QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Apr 30 2020, 06:06 AM) *

This topic is in question out there (for me at least). I bought a Naro Escape Mount, but have read that this and some others may leave the engine an inch or two too high in the engine bay. I'm not sure what the answer is, but am anxious to hear what others have done before I get begin my conversion too.

That and some issues with the return oil line? The Rich Johnson Mount does not have any of these issues.
roblav1
I did this a few months ago... used the MadDog mount (copy of Rick Johnson?), which I somewhat altered. It's easy, relatively cheap, and effective. I ran my AN12 oil return line behind it, then through an inline screen, then to the tank.

Mine is a beefed up Carrera 3.0 with PMO 46 carbs on a widebody reinforced chassis. Boxster calipers, a fully functional 911 emergency brake, etc. Feel free to ask any questions.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(roblav1 @ Apr 30 2020, 10:34 AM) *

I did this a few months ago... used the MadDog mount (copy of Rick Johnson?), which I somewhat altered. It's easy, relatively cheap, and effective. I ran my AN12 oil return line behind it, then through an inline screen, then to the tank.

Mine is a beefed up Carrera 3.0 with PMO 46 carbs on a widebody reinforced chassis. Boxster calipers, a fully functional 911 emergency brake, etc. Feel free to ask any questions.

Hey Rob-

beerchug.gif I don't recall your build...have any photos?

Oscar
mepstein
QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Apr 30 2020, 09:06 AM) *

I have a Naro mount on my 3.2. I didn't have enough room to run a 914-6 hard line from the engine so I used an adaptor to run an A/N line up to the front cooler. The hard line has a bend and wouldn't fit between the engine and the heat exchangers. The hard line would have worked fine with just headers. It just reminded me the need to be flexible when you are throwing a bunch of non factory parts on a car.

brant
I've been running the PMS mount on the track since 2004

the tilting feature is an amazing help in track repairs
I've "tilt" dropped my motor and trans at the track with oil in it. replaced a broken rocker shaft ... reinstalled everything and made it back onto track in an hour.

beats the heck out of a full motor drop when necessary
on a street car you can always just pull the whole drive line
a lot nicer when you don't have to
brant
roblav1
Still putting it together. Paint is better than the pic...has a coat of that lovely pine pollen on it.
nditiz1
@roblav1

Is your flared Pheonix Red?
Luke M

Greetings, all.
Thanks in advance.

Eric

Try Maddog and he's in Mich too. Purchased several things from him. All top notch and prices are reasonable.

https://maddogsmotorsports.com/
roblav1
It's a 1969 911/912 Bahia Red. Seems slightly more orange than the 914 Bahia Red.
mepstein
QUOTE(Luke M @ Apr 30 2020, 07:29 PM) *

Greetings, all.
Thanks in advance.

Eric

Try Maddog and he's in Mich too. Purchased several things from him. All top notch and prices are reasonable.

https://maddogsmotorsports.com/

He makes two bulkhead mounts. A rich johnson copy and a 914-6 copy. I'm trying out the six copy on my second conversion car.
Detroit
Thanks, everyone.
I was aware of the two Maddog variants. Mark DeBernardi told me of them when I was at his shop. I did not know, however, that he's also in Michigan. I like supporting locals...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.