Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interesting factory front trunk hinge paper
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
gturner008
I thought I’d share what I’ve seen on my very original, low mile 76 car. The hinges on the front hinge have a piece of what looks like paper - put on by the factory - during assembly.

I’ve not seen this on other cars and makes.

Just sharing for originality. See photo.
gturner008
QUOTE(gturner008 @ Apr 29 2020, 12:41 PM) *

I thought I’d share what I’ve seen on my very original, low mile 76 car. The hinges on the front hinge have a piece of what looks like paper - put on by the factory - during assembly.

I’ve not seen this on other cars and makes.

Just sharing for originality. See photo.

Note that the hood hinges have never been apart - and never repainted or changed from the factory.
Tom_T
idea.gif
AFAIK I've not seen that paper before, but maybe Jeff Bowlsby, George H or one of the other longtimers around 914s will know what it was there for?

popcorn[1].gif
Tom
///////
davep
I have not seen that before on any 914, and cannot imagine why it would be there. I hope to see this car sometime soon. Almost looks like paint masking, but no idea why.
gturner008
I agree. Does look like paint masking. But it’s on both hinges, and put there before assembly. Possibly before final paint.

There’s no evidence of any paint spraying after build. It’s an odd one for sure.
Garland
What’s under the paper/tape?
gturner008
Nothing - other than the hinge itself.
Cal
It looks to be in an odd spot.....but could it be a dealer / factory prep decal? They were paper with ink markings. I have a couple on my '74 2.0L.....here's a photo of the one in the rear trunk.

gturner008
Could be a dealer applied tape. Good suggestion.
TonyA
QUOTE(Cal @ Apr 30 2020, 07:05 PM) *

It looks to be in an odd spot.....but could it be a dealer / factory prep decal? They were paper with ink markings. I have a couple on my '74 2.0L.....here's a photo of the one in the rear trunk.

Jeff any writing or printing on the white paper
rgalla9146
Perhaps a picture of the other side of the hinge showing bolts and washers ?
IronHillRestorations
That's a mystery! I don't know why there would be paper there with paint on it. Not saying this is the case, but it's not unheard of for a new car to get a scratch or scrape in transit, during dealer prep, or on a test drive and subsequently repaired without any documentation by the selling dealer. Back then paint was simpler and IMHO easier to match, especially on a new car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.