Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where to put the front plate on this bumper - it is a V8 car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Daryl32
Anyone ever mount a front license plate on a front bumper like this?

Car is in California and some citys will pull you over if not on the car.

This is a water cooled V8 car so front intake is needed.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
DickSteinkamp
In Washington State if you have a collector car license plate or a YOM license plate you can run only the rear plate. Maybe the same in California?

IPB Image

IPB Image
914 RZ-1
On the dash so it can be seen from the front windshield is technically not legal, I think. The plate can't be hinged or hanging, either.

The CA DMV allows stickers:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/3...PERES&CVID=

Put the plate on the front, but move it up or down a little so it covers as little of the existing opening as possible?

Maybe make the air intake wider?
Daryl32
Thank you.

Will let the owner know and he can decide.

Just thought I would try and mount it for him.
Coondog
I have been driving in So Cal since 1976 and have never had a front license plate on any car I owned. Been pulled over a few times and never did they bring up the no front plate issue.

Personally I wouldn’t worry about it. Think about the last time you saw a Corvette with a front plate..... idea.gif

If you want the car to be faster then remove those side stripe billboards... stirthepot.gif
Jett
You could print one onto vinyl and then stick it on. I saw this done at a car show last year.
sb914
Just keep it in the car. I stuff mine under the passenger seat . . No worries!
Robarabian
No exceptions in CALI..

QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Apr 29 2020, 04:57 PM) *

In Washington State if you have a collector car license plate or a YOM license plate you can run only the rear plate. Maybe the same in California?

IPB Image

IPB Image

Robarabian
As a 31 year CA cop (now retired) I would pull you over for the plate so I could look for other things (usually DUI). RARELY ever wrote them, but if the attitude was REALLY poor, then they got the receipt. Otherwise, you leave it alone so another cop can do the same thing after midnight another time. Its just the way the rules work.

So I would have it in the car somewhere and you may get stopped, but likely not written. Its correctible in CA anyway and signed off once installed for 20 dollar correction.
SirAndy
Kinda hard to see, but i mounted it at an angle on the lower lip of the cutout.

I'd like to think it helps with the air flow into the cooler ...
biggrin.gif

IPB Image

SirAndy
IPB Image
SirAndy
IPB Image
Nacho
QUOTE(sb914 @ Apr 29 2020, 09:23 PM) *

Just keep it in the car. I stuff mine under the passenger seat . . No worries!

agree.gif
RickS
I reduced mine in size by some creative folding. Not legal to alter but considering the number of cars with no plates, this one has skated by for years. Click to view attachment
Daryl32
beerchug.gif
pt_700
years ago, i made an illegal right turn on red (missed the sign i later saw was right in my face). cop gave me a choice of tickets; that or no front plate (my mercedes).

i used pipe hanger (yes, on a mercedes) to make 2 "L" shaped brackets that stuck out from the front tow hook cover. perhaps you make a similar bracket mounted on the bottom of the front spoiler, off to the passenger side, & attach to the bottom of the lic. plate?
preach
Welcome here rather that Grassroots Motorsports. welcome.png

I say just mount the thing somewhere.

My Cayman's front plate still has the original zipties holding it from when I bought it.

Cairo94507
Robarabian is right on (of course) - LEO's will usually not write for the simple violation of no front plate as it is a red flag that says you can stop me if you want. They stop you so they can take a look and see what they see or smell. If you are cool, they usually let you go after the eyeballing and do not write for the front plate so the next cop can stop you if they want. It's a freebie for them to stop you with the obvious violation in CA.

Now, I have never had any problems with LEO's but I still do not like the idea of them having to pull me over and my wasting their time when they could be out stopping thugs for real crimes. At least that's what cops did once upon a time.

My car will have a fun plate on it just because I do not want to feel embarrassed for not having one and taking up their time. Oh, and having the plate on your dash board is not legal and never was in CA. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.