Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator warning light actually functions as a brake pedal application reminder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Good morning gentlemen, hope it’s been a good week so far.

My alternator warning light goes crazy anytime I step on the brakes or use a turn signal. I confirmed that I’ve got 13.6 V at the battery with the car running, so it appears that I have a wiring issue somewhere, most likely behind the dash I assume.

I was hoping to see if anyone’s had a similar issue and what they did to resolve it to help narrow my focus before I start digging in.

Thanks!
914Toy
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Apr 30 2020, 07:26 AM) *

Good morning gentlemen, hope it’s been a good week so far.

My alternator warning light goes crazy anytime I step on the brakes or use a turn signal. I confirmed that I’ve got 13.6 V at the battery with the car running, so it appears that I have a wiring issue somewhere, most likely behind the dash I assume.

I was hoping to see if anyone’s had a similar issue and what they did to resolve it to help narrow my focus before I start digging in.

Thanks!

Tom, I am no expert, but on my '72, the alternator warning light wire is blue and connects into the back of the left hand gauge. Perhaps you can trace it to and from the gauge to see of it is loose or damaged somewhere behind the dash (?).
Tdskip
Good morning - let me start there, thinking there are other wires hanging off this....
cn2800
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Apr 30 2020, 10:05 AM) *

Good morning - let me start there, thinking there are other wires hanging off this....

Check your grounds, too. I’ve seen a lot of strange things happen with bad grounding.
Tdskip
Excellent point, thank you
GregAmy
The alternator circuit is a very simple one: one side of the bulb connect to the alternators D+ terminal, the other side connects to system voltage at fuse S9. S9 runs most of your gauges, too.

If there's a differential voltage across the bulb - for example, the alternator isn't putting out (0 volts) but the battery still has voltage (12V) - then the bulb lights. If there's no differential voltage - alternator is putting out 13.5V and alternator is putting out 13.5V - then the bulb stays extinguished.

Your goal is to find out where that differential is happening when you engage the brake lights and fix it. My guess would be it's related to dropping voltage at fuse S9.
Tdskip
Thank you @GreyAmy

Very helpful.
Spoke
Here's the simplified circuit for the alternator, battery, and GEN light. When you turn the key to ON before cranking the engine, the GEN light sees 12V from fuse 9 and 0V from the VR as the alternator isn't turning.

Once the engine is cranked and started the GEN light current bootstraps the VR and alternator into operation.

If when you press on the brake the GEN light comes on, then either the voltage at the fuse drops or the voltage at the VR drops. One of them has to drop for there to be a difference in voltage and the GEN light comes on.

One way to check this is to hook your voltmeter up to either side of the GEN light and drive the car. Obviously the wires would have to be securely fastened so they don't come loose or you holding the voltmeter.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.