Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vacuum lines. Silly error -help?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gturner008
When checking out the battery, removed it etc

Didn’t photo before - and can’t find right location for one of the vacuum lines.

It’s the red coloured one ... looks like it wants to go towards the distributor.

Any advice?
gturner008
QUOTE(gturner008 @ May 1 2020, 12:37 PM) *

Didn’t photo before - and can’t find right location for one of the vacuum lines.

It’s the red coloured one ... looks like it wants to go towards the distributor.

Any advice?

Alternatively, I’d if I put the red one onto a pipe on the throttle body, then where do I put the pipe shown - that comes out of the top of the vacuum advance that’s on the distributor?

It’s a stock 1976...
Dustin
This one goes here...
Dustin
The second pic you posted, I don't think that one gets plugged in anywhere. Could be wrong. It's been a long time since I actually did the research. I also can't see where it starts. I assume it's plugged in to one side of the vacuum advance on the distributor?
Frankvw
yep. see the great drawing attached, from Jeff. He did really great work on his FI research and these drawings. I learned a lot from that.

Click to view attachment
gturner008
The pipe shown in black - comes from the top of the vacuum advance that sits on the distributor. You may be right- it might not plug in anywhere. The red one from - number 5 in the diagram - heads to the throttle body and seem to fit on the tube nicely - as though that's where its meant to be. Its not the one on top of the vacuum advance that I wonder what it does/goes?
Bleyseng
No, it goes on the stacked elbow if you still have one on the intake manifold. If not you can order one from 914rubber
JOEPROPER
'76 right? Where does the hose that connects to the oil fill tower go to? Look at the connections in the diagram compared to the car. Looks different than the photos. popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
Bleyseng's comment is correct. You're red vacuum line is #15 in the diagram.
Dustin
There are different versions of the Bowlsby drawing. There are more configurations than he has drawings for. They are a great place to start though.

The drawing posted has both sides of the advance plugged in somewhere. I remember in my research I found reasons not to do that.
gturner008
So I think I’ve now correctly installed the red tube to the correct place on the throttle body.

Now I just have the black pipe that comes from the vacuum. One (green) comes out of the vacuum advance and heads over to the back side of the air cleaner.

The other, as shown, does not seem to have a home. Key question then, is this correct? The vacuum advance tube shown simply does not connect up and is open to atmosphere? Any/all help appreciated.
Bleyseng
All I know is the hose off the decel valve needs manifold vacuum to work. I suppose you could plug it into the lower port on the throttle body but it looks like you still have the air pump so that port should be to the air pump valve. One hose off the vacuum advance can back goes to the throttle body while the other laying there going nowhere.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
under the runners and into the small fitting on the pentium
QUOTE(gturner008 @ May 1 2020, 11:37 AM) *

Any advice?
JeffBowlsby
"The vacuum advance tube shown simply does not connect up and is open to atmosphere"

Thats correct.

There was a previous version of my diagram, but it is obsolete. It reflected the FWSM hose connections to the decel valve that are incorrect. Brad Anders figured it out years ago and the current version of my diagram is on my website and has been for many years. That was the only revision that I remember.
gturner008
That’s great news. Thank you.

I’ll press ahead tomorrow and get the battery back in and finish off the detailing of the engine bay. Phew
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.