Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1970 Slope Nose - what's it worth?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
dgale914
Ran across a guy with a 1970 914 that appears to be free of significant rust.
  • Never restored but painted at least once
  • 1.7L tail shift
  • Adjustable passenger seat so I assume the seat and back pad were changed at some point in it's life.
  • Dash is cracked in numerous places
  • Single downdraft carb
  • Doesn't run for some reason
  • Worst of all..... someone flattened the front fenders to make it a slope nose.(with stock metal bumper)

Other than that the car is complete and checks out to be a 1970 mid year production #.

I know prices are on the rise and this is an early car. I have another parts car I can use to graft on fenders and I would probably never spend a dime on the 1.7L as I have a carbureted 2.0L I can put in it with a side shift trans.

What do you guys think it's worth? I'm supposed to look at it on Sunday.

mepstein
$1-2k
MidshipMadness
If it is completely rust free and relatively clean it could be worth a lot more than 1-2K.
Stuckon914
Free of significant rust means there is going to be some
Rust to find and some will be obvious. 1-2k is my guess as well
mepstein
QUOTE(MidshipMadness @ May 1 2020, 08:28 PM) *

If it is completely rust free and relatively clean it could be worth a lot more than 1-2K.

Nothing with slope nose is going to be clean or rust free. It could be a lot of things but chances are it’s not.
tpines
As long as it's it's solid in the usual rust spots I would think in the 3K to 5K range.
MidshipMadness
If the longs, battery tray, hell hole and both trunks and floor pans aren't rusted through it may be worth saving. I've seen rusty 914's that people invested a metric shit ton of time and money into but I for one would pay a premium for a rust free roller. It will save you tons of money in the long run. My first 914 restoration started with a super clean rust free 71 from Costa Mesa, CA. My second one was a squeeky clean 74 roller from Andy Leany, the original guy who started Renegade Hybrids in Ontario/Redlands, CA. I bought that roller for $500 and turned it into the fire breathing $60,000 white LS6 car that is now in OR.

Rust scares me away.
dgale914
Thanks for the inputs guys. Appreciate it.
sydro
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 1 2020, 09:59 PM) *

Nothing with slope nose is going to be clean or rust free. It could be a lot of things but chances are it’s not.

There are exceptions to that. I have a 73 that was a 2.0 I bought it from a guy who worked at a Porsche dealership in S.C. He brought it to NH and 18 years ago and I bought it from him about 3 years ago. Finally got to it. He did a displacement increase (not sure to what), it has dual 44s and an aluminum clutch basket. I've got it running good as long as you are on the throttle. If you are just trying to cruise at a steady speed/light throttle, it pops and farts a little. But it pulls great! I had it at nearly 120 MPH and still pulling up to 5400 RPM and it was not giving up! It was ready to keep climbing, but I thought that was enough.
Anyway, back to the rust. The hell hole, longs, wheel wells, floors, front trunk are all flawless. It has a less than beautiful fiberglass front bumper and also fiberglass rear bumper. Both are fused into the body without gaps. He was apparently going for the world low drag coefficient record as he gave it FLAT FENDERS, shaved the outside mirror! (I personally like to see around me) and also installed rocker covers with no jack holes. Drag there, you know. So I took the covers off to see just what they looked like under there. Beautiful, except the jack post supports which he cut off to clear the rocker covers are thin because the unprotected metal corroded. It is only on the pyramid shaped part. And other than that There is a tiny bit of surface rust in the passenger side rear trunk. THIS THING IS REALLY REALLY SOLID! I am quite prod of it even though it has a face, only a mother (or owner) could love!
Sorry about the long post but this car is a real diamond in the rough that I think has an awesome engine.
I may sell it against my better judgement. What do you think it is worth, assuming I know what I am claiming?
Also I HAVE A SET OF 4 ORIGINAL PORSCHE FUCH "DEEP SIX" wheels for sale. They are in need of restoration to make them show quality, but are straight and true and look great from a few yards away. $4000Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
sydro
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 1 2020, 09:59 PM) *

There are exceptions to that. I have a 73 that was a 2.0 I bought it from a guy who worked at a Porsche dealership in S.C. He brought it to NH and 18 years ago and I bought it from him about 3 years ago. Finally got to it. He did a displacement increase (not sure to what), it has dual 44s and an aluminum clutch basket. I've got it running good as long as you are on the throttle. If you are just trying to cruise at a steady speed/light throttle, it pops and farts a little. But it pulls great! I had it at nearly 120 MPH and still pulling up to 5400 RPM and it was not giving up! It was ready to keep climbing, but I thought that was enough.
Anyway, back to the rust. The hell hole, longs, wheel wells, floors, front trunk are all flawless. It has a less than beautiful fiberglass front bumper and also fiberglass rear bumper. Both are fused into the body without gaps. He was apparently going for the world low drag coefficient record as he gave it FLAT FENDERS, shaved the outside mirror! (I personally like to see around me) and also installed rocker covers with no jack holes. Drag there, you know. So I took the covers off to see just what they looked like under there. Beautiful, except the jack post supports which he cut off to clear the rocker covers are thin because the unprotected metal corroded. It is only on the pyramid shaped part. And other than that There is a tiny bit of surface rust in the passenger side rear trunk. THIS THING IS REALLY REALLY SOLID! I am quite prod of it even though it has a face, only a mother (or owner) could love!
Sorry about the long post but this car is a real diamond in the rough that I think has an awesome engine.
I may sell it against my better judgement. What do you think it is worth, assuming I know what I am claiming?
Also I HAVE A SET OF 4 ORIGINAL PORSCHE FUCH "DEEP SIX" wheels for sale. They are in need of restoration to make them show quality, but are straight and true and look great from a few yards away. $4000Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Welcome @sydro
mepstein
Maybe $2K. To restore it to stock will cost a lot more than a decent running early car.
Unrestored deep sixes go for about $600-650 each.
sydro
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 9 2020, 12:40 PM) *

Maybe $2K. To restore it to stock will cost a lot more than a decent running early car.

A famed wheel restorer in Ca. told me they were worth between $750 and $1000 each as they are.
sydro
QUOTE(Tdskip @ May 9 2020, 12:23 PM) *

Welcome @sydro

Thank you.
mepstein
QUOTE(sydro @ May 9 2020, 05:37 PM) *

A famed wheel restorer in Ca. told me they were worth between $750 and $1000 each as they are.

Maybe when he sells them to his customers but that’s not the price they generally sell for on the open market.
sydro
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 9 2020, 05:47 PM) *

QUOTE(sydro @ May 9 2020, 05:37 PM) *

Maybe when he sells them to his customers but that’s not the price they generally sell for on the open market.
Restored, he said about $5000 or more for a set of 4. I am in no rush to sell them. They will only be worth more as time goes on so maybe I'll get my asking or more someday...
Front yard mechanic
If it has a nice interior it should be worth 2850
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.