Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to remove headlights?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andreic
Hello,

I ordered a couple of days ago the LED H4 headlights for my 1972 914. Unfortunately, today when I tried to remove the silver ring holding the glass housing, none of the 3 screws would move at all. Their heads are somewhat rusted, and the screwdriver stripped them right away. (I did put WD-40 before on the screws, and used the right size screwdriver, even used some valve grinding compound... no luck.)

What should I do at this point? Can the screws be drilled out without damaging the unit badly? I would be happy to drill them out slightly bigger, and to put some screws with nuts on the other side, but not sure this idea would work.

Thanks! Andrei.
76-914
IIRC, 914rubber is selling those screws in SS. beerchug.gif
mepstein
WD40 is a lousy penetrant. Tightening the screw a little before loosening works. So does heat. I might try drilling out with a reverse drill bit. I would spend a bit more time before you enlarge the holes. If you do enlarge the holes, I would go with larger sheet metal screws before nuts and bolts.
andreic
Can the heads of the screws be ground off? Maybe if I got the mask off I could get a Vise Grip on the remaining part of the screws??

Also, can the whole unit be removed fairly easily, so I can work on my bench?
Thunderchief
Soak them in PB Blaster and use one of those kits that screws a bit into the screw the opposite way to get it out. I forgot what they call it. That worked well for me.
bdstone914
I replace them with SS socket head allen screws.
Yes you can remove the whole assembly but will need to realign everything.
Drill or grind off the heads and use vise grips on the part of the screw that protrudes thru the housing. And start with a good rust penetrant.
Mikey914
The headlight trim rind screws can be removed if you use a smaller left had drill so it will remove as it heats up.

Pretty sure I have some new trim ring screws. PM me with your address I can send you some new ones Monday
Thanks,
Mark

If you need new adjuster screws with bases there are 2 per bucket. Just put these on sale if any one needs them

https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/m...screw-and-block

They use an allen head to adjust so much harder to strip
Mikey914
Yes I realize that these are not the ones he needs. I do have those too.
Just not listed
andreic
Thanks for the suggestions. I will go today to my local Harbor Freight and get a kit which has the reverse drill bit and some easy outs; hopefully I'll manage to get the screws out this way.

The softening material I used was Liquid Wrench penetrating oil, not WD-40. Do you guys think I should still try the PB Blaster on top of that?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.