Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How hot is this thing.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Teknon
Just put in a new fuel pump. 73 style. Started right up and ran. But in the 98 degree 60% humidity. I didn't go far. Started to bogg down, stalled and would not start. I opened the screw on the fuel rail and air and gas came out. Let it sit for a half hour and it started right up. Drove a couple of miles and did it all again. I'm thinking vapour lock but I didn't think fuel injection was bothered by that. I am at 5280 feet in a very hot thin air situation. What else should I check to get this monkey home.

Guess I can get it at night. When its cooler.

AHA All help apreciated. icon8.gif
Carl
Ordinarily, vapor lock is not a problem in fuel injected systems because the higher pressures in the system past the fuel pump makes it harder for the gas to turn to vapor. That doesn't prevent the gas to vaporize before it gets to the fuel pump. The pressures are low on the suction side of the pump.

Suggestions:
Insulate the line.
Add gas with higher vapor pressure.
Wait until evening.
bd1308
dude check your tubes too... my problem is that my fuel tubing had a bubble or air that would cause the pump to cavitate and make it not run...i'd stop and wait, then start and the bubble would cause havok....check your lines. either that or your pump is going south, which could also be a possibility.
airsix
Like Carl said, the line pressure between the fuel-tank and the pump is where vapor lock will occur. Being at high altitude you'll definitely experience fuel boiling at lower temps then all the California-coast crowd does. Relocating the pump to the '74-'76 location (under the fuel tank) will cure vapor lock by eliminating low pressure between the tank and pump. If you do this just be sure to re-do ALL fuel lines since the lines passing through the tunnel will now be pressurized. As a quick fix try just running a full fuel tank if you aren't already. A full tank will add a little pressure to the line. Not much, but maybe enough to help.

-Ben M.
McMark
Have you removed your tank recently? When putting the tank back in it's easy to kink hoses which will give you a "runs for a minute, then dies" experience.
Jeffs9146
CHT sensor!

Jeff
Teknon
Tank was never out, but iill check for an air leak between tank and pump and look into better gas.

My 78 Bronc could only run on Conoco until I put in elec FP.

And i'll check the resistance through the CHT sensor.

The car is over my sisters now. She was the closest to get too. So it may be awhile before I can get to it.

Thank you my 914 bros. Carl, Britt, Ben, Mark and Jeff for taking the time to reply. biggrin.gif
Dave_Darling
Kinked fuel lines will also do this. (BTDT!)

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.