Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: e21 brake upgrade is it worth it?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wbgoggans
tips for e21 brake upgrade? what all do i need for upgrade on 72 914? Is it worth it? any other brake upgrades?
Mikey914
If you are running a 6 or something with more than stock maybe. The stock brakes with good pads are pretty good. Eric @ PMB performance has some options. We even stock his "re manufactured" units. His turn around isn't usually too bad also.
wbgoggans
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 2 2020, 02:40 AM) *

If you are running a 6 or something with more than stock maybe. The stock brakes with good pads are pretty good. Eric @ PMB performance has some options. We even stock his "re manufactured" units. His turn around isn't usually too bad also.

I plan on buying new rear calipers, however I've heard e21 front calipers are a huge upgrade and seem to be cheaper than buying rebuilt front calipers. I have already installed a new 19mm brake master and braided brake lines but have yet to drive the car since purchase.
914Sixer
PLEASE go to the Classic section and read up on everything you need to know about brake systems. LOTS of urban legend stuff discussed.
JFJ914
Waste of time and money. All you'll be doing is putting more heat into the non vented discs. Good for bragging rights though.
Gatornapper
My car came to me with e21's in front, and I got my rear rebuild's from Eric at PMB Performance, and a new 1/2 caliper for the right e21 that was cracked.......Eric told me the e21's were a step backwards and put original 914 front calipers on for more balanced braking.....

Haven't done it yet.

But on 914 brakes, I think no one is better than Eric.

GN

QUOTE(wbgoggans @ May 1 2020, 10:22 PM) *

tips for e21 brake upgrade? what all do i need for upgrade on 72 914? Is it worth it? any other brake upgrades?
Jett
I had e21’s on our 75 2.0, but replaced them for a stock set from PMB.

Porsche brakes are great when properly serviced.
BENBRO02
If you want better braking your money is better
spent on performance rubber.
914e
Cooling ducts might be a greater improvement.
Chris914n6
Can't "upgrade" the fronts to larger pistons without doing the same for the rear, which would be -6 rear calipers, but if you can find them they cost more than a full set of rebuilt stockers.

So the correct answer is get the stock brakes working 100%, use modern FF or better rated pads, and modern sticky tires.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.