Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 electric gremlins of doom
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Islandvw
Well for first post was going to be the big red flashy light which ohhh so many threads but I accidently found the cure after going through it over and over with no success the big flashy red went out with the cars RPMs brought up piratenanner.gif
History of the car is questionable but was brought to me for a body restoration which ended up with a front left clip replacement and some minor rust repairs aside from the hell hole. once I was finished with body and paint it was sent back to the owner who did a bunch of assembly and swapped all the bulbs to LED now this car was not running when purchased and also had previous electrical love, it went to the mechanic to have the motor installed and to get running (18 months later we pulled the car not running or barley worked on.
Don adopts a headache , got the car igniton wiring all straightend out installed Pertronix! got car running nicely too! Did the brakes all around and it runs and shifts and stops and did the joy sad.gif lighting gremlins from hell! after hours and hours and swapping bulbs and bases and swtiches...... perhaps a puff o smoke once too lol
went into the shop at 3 am this morning and retraced all wires for signals front and rear cleaned all the terminals up.
1) car running headligths off left and right front turn signals work as they should but the opposing bulb has a very dimm flash
2) car running headlights on front signals work perfect no opposing flash
3) 4-way flashers work as they should have tried 3 flashers attempting to fix other issues
4) the problem is that the rear turn signals both flash when trying to turn right or left?? any help or thoughts would be appreciated
Islandvw
Would also like to question the 2 brown wires white stipe coming through the rear tunnel I know one is for the ebrake handle switch but the second?
Spoke
welcome.png

Are you running LEDs or incandescent bulbs now?

The rear turnsignals bulbs flashing together is weird for sure. You say the front turnsignals flash ok but the other side gently flashes, correct?

What year 914 is it?

Below is the simplified schematic for the '70-'73 914. All wires to the exterior bulbs terminate at the 4-way switch. You may have to pull the 4-way switch out and check the wiring.
Islandvw
QUOTE(Spoke @ May 2 2020, 10:07 AM) *

welcome.png

Are you running LEDs or incandescent bulbs now?

The rear turnsignals bulbs flashing together is weird for sure. You say the front turnsignals flash ok but the other side gently flashes, correct?

What year 914 is it?

Below is the simplified schematic for the '70-'73 914. All wires to the exterior bulbs terminate at the 4-way switch. You may have to pull the 4-way switch out and check the wiring.

Mr. 914 is a vintage 72 we disposed of the fuel injection and went to a pair of Holley carbs. We are running LED bulbs now, had swapped back to incandescents but with no change.
Thanks for the large schematic, the manuals are impossible for my chemo eyes to follow these days
dr914@autoatlanta.com
start by correcting the plug ins, usually people reverse the turn signal and parking light leads. that will cause the one side to flash brightly the other to flash dimly and then when you turn on the parking lights, the reverse, The fact that the turn signals work correctly with the headlights on tells me that you have a grounding problem

ASSUMING that the rear tail lights are plugged in properly the rear problem is probably a bad ground connection at the right firewall in the engine compartment behind the relay board. unscrew the 10mm headed bolt, clean all of the loop ends clean the weld stud and reattach

quote name='Islandvw' date='May 2 2020, 06:04 AM' post='2810843']
Well for first post was going to be the big red flashy light which ohhh so many threads but I accidently found the cure after going through it over and over with no success the big flashy red went out with the cars RPMs brought up piratenanner.gif
History of the car is questionable but was brought to me for a body restoration which ended up with a front left clip replacement and some minor rust repairs aside from the hell hole. once I was finished with body and paint it was sent back to the owner who did a bunch of assembly and swapped all the bulbs to LED now this car was not running when purchased and also had previous electrical love, it went to the mechanic to have the motor installed and to get running (18 months later we pulled the car not running or barley worked on.
Don adopts a headache , got the car igniton wiring all straightend out installed Pertronix! got car running nicely too! Did the brakes all around and it runs and shifts and stops and did the joy sad.gif lighting gremlins from hell! after hours and hours and swapping bulbs and bases and swtiches...... perhaps a puff o smoke once too lol
went into the shop at 3 am this morning and retraced all wires for signals front and rear cleaned all the terminals up.
1) car running headligths off left and right front turn signals work as they should but the opposing bulb has a very dimm flash
2) car running headlights on front signals work perfect no opposing flash
3) 4-way flashers work as they should have tried 3 flashers attempting to fix other issues
4) the problem is that the rear turn signals both flash when trying to turn right or left?? any help or thoughts would be appreciated
[/quote]
Spoke
QUOTE(Islandvw @ May 2 2020, 11:59 AM) *

Mr. 914 is a vintage 72 we disposed of the fuel injection and went to a pair of Holley carbs. We are running LED bulbs now, had swapped back to incandescents but with no change.
Thanks for the large schematic, the manuals are impossible for my chemo eyes to follow these days

I would start by putting in all incandescent bulbs in all 4 corners until you figure this out. LED turnsignals cause all sorts of weird problems with the flasher.

If you put incandescent bulbs in the rear turnsignals and they still flash together, then you have wires crossed or the rear buckets are wired incorrectly.

Once you have things sorted, then put in the LED bulbs.
Islandvw
beer3.gif its cocktail time! the joys of working with a helper, he apparently had swapped the bulbs with no change but that was also before the ebrake handle switch being located and wired.... needless to say I just pulled the 1156 LED bulbs and replaced with incandescent and problem solved! Now to install the front hood, eyebrows and headlight opening bits and interior and get this puppy on the road driving.gif
thanks for your replies
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.