Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porterfield R4-S install help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rog914
Installing new disc & rebuilt calipers. The rear Porterfield R4-S brake pads came with 4 thin stick-on pads, should I use them or if I don't will my rear pads eventually start squealing like a pig?

And I think I've heard that some board members recomend cutting the venting clearance in half from 6mm (.002) to 3mm (.001) is this correct?

Thanks for any help

Ralph

74 2.0
Cap'n Krusty
6mm ain't .002". It's .236" (like a quarter inch!). You want to set the venting clearance so the .004" (0.10mm) feeler gauge has pretty good drag in the high spots. The original spec was .008", and they told us at P-car school in 1973 that the book is wrong. They never bothered to change the book, however, and the myth goes on. Make sure the rotor is secured to the hub. If the 2 screws are gone, use the lug bolts. You can use the shims. Might help, might not. The Cap'n
Rog914
Thanks for the help Cap'n. I was trying to type it fast & read the wrong clearance (6mm clearance for the brake petal). Time for new glasses. LOL

Ralph

74 2.0
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.