Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is the best way to assemble the intake manifold?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sofi2t81
Hi y‘all,

What is the best way to assemble the intake manifold to the engine after cleaning and painting?

Pre assembly of plenum and runners on the workbench with the rubber hoses not fully set?
Or piece by piece?

Engine is still in the car.

Thanks

Peter
sofi2t81
icon_bump.gif

No tips for me?
Dustin
I don't understand your question.
sofi2t81
Ok. Maybe a translation thing I‘m German.

To assemble the hole intake manifold you have to put the plenum with the intake boots and the runners to the rest of the engine.
What is the best way?

1. Assemble one runner with the boots to the plenum.
Mount that to the zylinder head/engine. Then put the other pair of runners with the boots to the engine/head in the engine bay. This cold be tricky because the boots are pretty tight.

2. Pre assemble everything outside the car with the boots not finally set, then put it in the engine may tho the heads.

3. any other idea.

I may think 1. is the way to go.

Peter

Craigers17
First I'm no expert, but I just did this a few weeks ago.

I installed the plenum first and got it locked down. Then I installed the rubber hoses/couplers onto the runners. Hind site being 20/20, I would not push these super far onto the runners, as the gap between the runner and plenum might be larger than you expect.(I found this gap to be wider on the driver's side of the engine....but maybe I was smoking too much crack that day).

My point above is that if you push it too far on the runner side, you MIGHT have to pull it right back to get an acceptable amount of rubber coupler onto the plenum side. A little silicone(lubricant) definitely helps in this process, and makes them much easier to get on and off. You SHOULD be able to fit the intake over the studs and still be able to slide the rubber hoses onto the plenum before tightening the nuts down.

I used Victor Reinz gaskets with no sealants. Hope this helps...sorry to be so long-winded.

Click to view attachment
iankarr
agree.gif

Install the plenum with the rubber couplers on, but not pushed all the way in. Use dry lube spray on the runner pipes and the couplers and work them in. Hold on to the couplers as you push so they don't just move closer to the plenum. It takes some finessing especially towards the end. Lube is your friend. As it is in many parts of your life.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.