Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any other sources for rebuilt front/rear calipers and mast cyl rebuild kit?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
icemanhd
I have searched the forums on this subject, most were fairly old so thought I would ask.

75 914 2.0 restoration in work. Think I have exhausted every reasonable priced rebuilt caliper option out there (O'Reillys, Autozone, etc... all list them but no one can actually get them) and was ready to order the PMB ones from Pelican parts for like $770 exchange for all 4.

Anyone else know of a source I'm missing?
I have seen the threads on how to rebuild them (the kits are available) but how long does it actually take?
Looks like all the master cylinder rebuild kits have dried up as well?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
stevegm
QUOTE(icemanhd @ May 2 2020, 06:04 PM) *

I have searched the forums on this subject, most were fairly old so thought I would ask.

75 914 2.0 restoration in work. Think I have exhausted every reasonable priced rebuilt caliper option out there (O'Reillys, Autozone, etc... all list them but no one can actually get them) and was ready to order the PMB ones from Pelican parts for like $770 exchange for all 4.

Anyone else know of a source I'm missing?
I have seen the threads on how to rebuild them (the kits are available) but how long does it actually take?
Looks like all the master cylinder rebuild kits have dried up as well?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Have you tried PMB directly? Nobody beats them!
Spoke
QUOTE(stevegm @ May 2 2020, 06:17 PM) *

Have you tried PMB directly? Nobody beats them!

agree.gif

Eric at PMB is the only way to go for 914 brake calipers and other hardware. He's on 914world as Eric_Shea. Give him a shout or email or call him.

PMB Performance
913B
I have a set of rebuilt replated rears I won't be using. $315 shipped

If interested PM your email for pics.
It only needs the inner adjuster that you would need to use from your calipers.
IronHillRestorations
I used to rebuild them for customers, but not anymore. It was within $50 of the PMB rebuild, and I painted them, not plated. I just got a set back for a customer's car and they look better than new, like jewelry.

I don't think you can even get a master cylinder rebuild kit anymore.
porschetub
Why would you look for a budget brake rebuild ? some things you just don't cheap on and brakes are them.
As far as rebuilding a 40+ yr old master cylinder ,good luck there as the bore is normally pitted and you can only hone them a small amount,reason why the kits aren't around
Factor that price and divide by 4...its just not a lot of money for safety.
Go well and good luck.
914werke
Ive also searched high & low in particular for a MC rebuild kit but came up empty.
If you are not replacing the actual Alum plungers, the wipers appear to be somewhat universal depending on bore size so some other application my work
DickSteinkamp
Rebuilding the calipers yourself is an option if yours are in halfway decent shape. A hone and some seals.

I would stay with a 17mm MC. Braking like Porsche designed it for the 914. Buy a replacement new.

Have your proportioning valve (pressure limiting valve) rebuilt.

Be sure to change your 4 soft lines too.

914werke
QUOTE(porschetub @ May 2 2020, 04:32 PM) *
Why would you look for a budget brake rebuild ? some things you just don't cheap on and brakes are them.
As far as rebuilding a 40+ yr old master cylinder ,good luck there as the bore is normally pitted and you can only hone them a small amount,reason why the kits aren't around
Go well and good luck.

Thats a lot of presumption on your part. dry.gif
Who says DIY has to mean cheap or lessor quality.
That isnt the only possible reason for the lack of kits...try fewer cars = low sales volume.
Chris914n6
I just got a set back from PMB for a customer car. Fully disassembled cleaned and plated, coated pistons, new seals, new bolts, new nipples, and new piston indexing plates. $165 each is a very reasonable price for the service.

The cheap rebuilds aren't replated or anything to make them last another 50 years.

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
The PMB ones are a great way to go for dependability, and a "new part". You can rebuild, but again, it's really a matter of how much time you want to put into it. Eric has a rebuilt kit he sells and if I recall a video of how to. So PMB best bet either way biggrin.gif
willieg
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 2 2020, 07:37 PM) *

The PMB ones are a great way to go for dependability, and a "new part". You can rebuild, but again, it's really a matter of how much time you want to put into it. Eric has a rebuilt kit he sells and if I recall a video of how to. So PMB best bet either way biggrin.gif

Another shout out for PMB. I rebuilt my rear calipers with the PMB kit after watching the video. Not a problem. And phenomenal support from PMB.
mepstein
PMB 100%. Look and work like new. PMB has also always given back to the 914 community. I wouldn’t go anywhere else.
aggiezig
I also tried to rebuild my own. It's not "hard" but it is very tedious. I gave up and ordered a set from PMB. They are worth the $, no question. Very quick turn around, too.
porschetub
QUOTE(914werke @ May 3 2020, 12:01 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ May 2 2020, 04:32 PM) *
Go well and good luck.

Thats a lot of presumption on your part. dry.gif
Who says DIY has to mean cheap or lessor quality.
That isnt the only possible reason for the lack of kits...try fewer cars = low sales volume.

Really? has the average guy got hones and the equipment to do the work,I don't know the OP and what experience he has but 100% certain you know because you have most likely done plenty of these as I have….think you missed my point here.
I can easily get kits seals here as PBR (Australia) still make them but I won't fit them to a pitted m/c or some bad caliper bodies with torn up pistons,otherwise in the bin they go.
In summary don't look for a cheap option on brakes,cheers.
914e
It seems Auto Atlanta is the only source for pins and clips. I'm not sure why the rears are a gold finished but the fronts are silver.
Following my normal pattern I ordered calipers from PMB then forgot to order pins and clips to replace my old crusty ones.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.