Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Look what I found at the junkyard today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aefcaf
Afternoon everyone, I'm back after 15 years form the 914 world. I have decided to begin building another car over the next few years and began today sourcing parts for the shelf. Came across this 19mm swaybar. Can anyone tell me what 911 it came from and if this would be a good fit for a tight front end? I'm planning on doing a subaru sti conversion to bop around town on weekends. Any suspension comments are greatly appreciated as well. I will also need help identifying some of the parts I'm finding at these local junkyards.....FYI i scored the swaybar for $15 with hardware that is not pictured.
gandalf_025
Sway Bar is an aftermarket part.
Looks to be made by a company called
H+H Specialties. They were based out of
Massachusetts.
There are threads mentioning them if
you search....
SirAndy
QUOTE(Aefcaf @ May 3 2020, 12:27 PM) *
Look what I found at the junkyard today, Found 72 porsche

Did you get the VIN for our database?
idea.gif

Aefcaf
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ May 3 2020, 02:52 PM) *

Massachusetts.
you search....

I thought swaybar were optional for these 914's?
porschetub
QUOTE(Aefcaf @ May 4 2020, 12:47 PM) *

QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ May 3 2020, 02:52 PM) *

Massachusetts.
you search....

I thought swaybar were optional for these 914's?

Yes they were but this isn't a Porsche one,if cheap enough its most likely fine but I see you are missing one drop link and "A'' arm mounting bracket? ,you could make one these.
Edit,was it mounted under the car ?,if so you need the mounting brackets off the front beam or just buy the beam from the wreak if not bent.
Aefcaf
Porschetub, i have all the mounting hardware not pictured. I just need that drop link. But otherwise for the $15 I paid, Ithought it was a deal.
porschetub
Ok , you have done well,factory (complete kits) are selling for pretty decent money these days,you could make a drop link using a stock one for the parts just weld the longer rod in between.
Aefcaf
What's a good swaybar setup front to rear? Is 19mm too stiff? What size should I look for in the rear?
bkrantz
Impossible to answer without also knowing planned torsion bar size, rear spring rate, etc.
Aefcaf
QUOTE(bkrantz @ May 3 2020, 09:15 PM) *

Impossible to answer without also knowing planned torsion bar size, rear spring rate, etc.

Good insight krantz, currently I have sourced 180lb spring, a rear 16mm swaybar to accompany the front 19mm I just picked up and 21mm torsion bars..i am concerned the ride will be too stiff.
flyer86d
That is a 19mm H&H swaybar. It mounts in the stock 914 location and as you can see, has 4 stiffness settings. I ran the 19mm front set at the softest setting and their 16 mm rear on our first 914 which we autocrossed and DE’d extensively way back when. I also have some time in a 73 2 liter that had the same swaybar setup but with 21mm torsion bars and 140 pound springs and all delrin bushings. That was a great autocross setup. I didn’t find the ride objectionable and it handled like a go cart. I still have the suspension setup off of that car. It’ll go on the 6.

Charlie
Aefcaf
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 3 2020, 03:36 PM) *

idea.gif

Sirandy, the VIN is 4722908551
SirAndy
QUOTE(Aefcaf @ May 4 2020, 10:36 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 3 2020, 03:36 PM) *

idea.gif

Sirandy, the VIN is 4722908551

Thank you Sir!
beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.