Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The difference between a teener and a Boxstser
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
I can't believe this guy!

It's about 80 degrees, brilliant sun, Olympic Mountains are stunning and this guy in a silver Boxster S and me in my silver 914 are approaching the Narrows Bridge. HE HAS HIS TOP UP! I don't get it. We get maybe 20 days a year like this in Washington and he has a soft top sports car with the top up and AC on. Maybe he's just strange.

Man I wanted to cellebrate driving my car. I was wishing I could find an excuse to drive farther than home and this guy got his top up. Oh well, I showed him I didn't wave.

Dave
TheCabinetmaker
He was just jealous
DNHunt
Maybe you're right. He just had to show off he got something for all that money. AC

Dave
nomore4
I bet if you waved they would'nt have realized that neither. rolleyes.gif
Mueller
I'd have the top down in the Boxster with the A/C on MDB2.gif
KaptKaos
Why are you surprised? Seriously?

Porsche is making higly stylized, comfortable, albeit extremely fast, luxury cars. Amenities like: cruise control, automatic climate contol, heated seats, power tops, AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS, power assisted everything, lighted vanity mirrors and many other features. Hell, soon they have an automatic door closer (doors are kinda heavy you know).

And what the F! is a Cayanne?!?!?

Look, you are a purist (read old fashioned) that enjoys the mechanical simplicity of driving a small, lighweight, open top sports car with a manual transmission. Sun on your face, wind in your hair, good things in life kind of guy. That is not what the majority of Porsche buyers want. They want the image of being sporting, while not actually having to do anything very sporting other than ponying up a few $Gs.

From time to time, Porsche throws us types a bone (911 Club Sport, etc..) but those go so fast with "dealer add-ons" (read $$ markup) that we never get those tasty treats.

Live with it. I think that the last Porsche was the 914 (or maybe the 993) but the rest is crap. And with the death of the real sporting car from their line up, expect to be run off the road by some petitie young lady, with a cell phone glued to her head in her Cayanne S (sorry Jenny, you are the exception that proves the rule).

Now if they would come out with a light weight boxter, sans all the fluff, then maybe we could talk, but till then, we nostalgic types will have to make due with the older cars.

DAMMIT, now I am pissed. I need a drink. Whre is that Martini emoticon we were promised!

- Joe beer3.gif
tryan
just another leasequeen. was the boxster yellow?

i agree. ac on .....top off. some 240 air.
JeffBowlsby
Sometimes the difference...is fuzzy...
KaptKaos
Sweet

Are those tires on the right way?

- Joe
Mueller
With a 100+ mile a day commute, I like to have a few creature comforts...when my 914 is finally running I do plan on driving it to work a few days out of the week (hopefully when it's parked it'll be by choice and not due to it being taken apart for one reason or another....)

Speaking of Boxsters...did the LA Lakers give away a yellow Boxster?? I've seen a yellow one in Brentwood (NorCal) with big Lakers decals on the doors....

(Go Kings...beat the Lakers !!!!!)
Elliot_Cannon
Hi,
Like most things new and old, The Boxter has style but the 914 has CLASS. Oakley sunglasses have style but Rayban Wayfarers have CLASS etc. etc. Also anyone with the money can buy a new Boxter but most 914s you see, somone has put some hands on work on the car so you can also add SOUL.
Cheers, Elliot
KaptKaos
but most 914s you see, somone has put some hands on work on the car so you can also add SOUL.

Elliot, I have never heard it put so well. clap56.gif

Thanks!
Qarl
I have a boxster now. It like it's neutralness. The first thing I thought was... man it's just like my teener, but with more power.

It's obviously much heavier and has much more power. There are a lot of design elements that remind me of the 914.

While it is more modern, it does not offer you the feel that you are in control of your car and that you are one with the car. It's hard to explain. With the 914, everything is basic, and requires a lot of attention, feedback, and control from the driver to run the car right. If you can do all three correctly, you can have a blast in the 914. And when you are done... you thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

With the Boxster.... everything is computer controlled (even the throttle is drive-by-wire), and you can sort of cruise along and the car takes half the sportscar enjoyment away from you.

Yes, you still steer, shift, and brake, but it's just not... well... it's not a 914. I mean you've got to get the car to 4K RPM to hear the damn motor!
Qarl
Oh.. and one more thing.

I've had more problems with the Boxster than I did with a 30-year old 914!
TheCabinetmaker
So, the "son of 914" can't hang with "old dad" huh?
Nothing can!!!!!
scotty
It's obviously much heavier and has much more power.

Soooooo, what could be removed to make it lighter?

Soundproofing?
I mean you've got to get the car to 4K RPM to hear the damn motor!

"Power" doo-dads?

It would be interesting to see how much one would mass after a diet.
Jeroen
QUOTE(kellzey @ Jul 19 2003, 02:05 AM)
There are a lot of design elements that remind me of the 914.

Yeah, Porsche won't put a decent powered engine in it, because they know it'll whoop the 911's ass
Same politics all over again...

cheers,

Jeroen
Qarl
ggg
Qarl
Notice the licence plate area...
mskala
I tend to reject the original premise and I'll stick up for
boxster owners even though I'm not one of them.

First I'm sure there are plenty of people who have to
remain sweat-free for their jobs and will use the AC instead
of losing the roof. Hey, they paid for it. Also people with
asthma, etc.

You gotta respect the people who will buy an 'updated
914-type concept', rather than any of the other things you
could get for the same money, or the cheaper inferior
substitutes (del sol, mr2?). We have quite a few boxster
autocrossers around here, way more than the 996's.
scotty
If they'd just wave back, I'd be happy beer.gif
GWN7
Most of them probably don't even know what a 914 is............. sad.gif
seanery
Hey Karl and Craig L. (and anyone else with a Boxster),

What engine do you have? What do you think of the power of the engine?
Tell me about your transmission-5 or 6 speed, do you like it? Why? etc...
What would you change, what needs improvement?

Do you think your exhaust would fit on a 914 with boxster power?

Thanks!
boxstr
I enjoy "my" cars. If someone else in a Boxster or a 914 wants to ride around with the top up, who cares, at least they are driving a Porsche.
I own a 99 Boxster,83 911 SC cab., numerous 914s and this KEWL 29 Model A Ford. If someone waves I wave back, if they don't...
CCLINHOTRODHELL
boxstr
I got a new motor at 19000 miles, thank you PCNA, and I have added the B&M shifter, feels great,notchy but I like it. It is a 2.5 and 5 speed. Enough power for me driving on the street. Jim Chambers and I are taking part in a Porsche club rally tomorrow,I'm driving the Boxster. If I go auto xing on Sunday I will get the 914 and take that.
I like the Boxster, it has been improved,glass rear window, that is about the only thing I would want.
These are cars, it is nice to be able to enjoy all of them for what they are. I enjoy my Jeep, when I need to haul something or tow something.
CCLINKUSTOMKULTURE
KaptKaos
I guess my original point is that you shouldn't expect all Boxster owners to be like you nor should you expect that they understand Porsche history like you. Additionally, you might not expect all Boxster owners to know that a 914 is a Porsche. You'll note that the only place it says Porsche on a 914 is on the grill, which is sure hard to read from 20 feet away.

Now, if you got yourself one of them there fancy reflectors to cover the ugly panel (See this post) then maybe them there Boxster owners might wave.

- Joe
seanery
I heard something about Boxster motors failing early, do you know what happened?
Do you know the HP & Torque #'s for the motor?

thanks!
Qarl
2001 Boxster, 2.7L 5-speed, 18" wheels, Litronic headlights, Sport package (basically rear rollbar air deflector, soun package, cruise control, and alarm! Whoopee)!

Power is perfectly great. Sound could be improved. 5 speed vs. 6 don't make a difference. Mine has the plastic rear window (bitch to clean). No glovebox (added in 2002).

Problems I've had - 2 cam cover bolt leaks, 1 main seal leak, persistent rear vibration problem even after multiple alignments, tires, rebalancing, burnt out headlight, 2 A/C problems, and rattly seats)

Of course, the Boxster S, is supposed to be a vast improvement over the regular Boxster (more power, extra tranny gear, bigger brakes, better sound).

I won't get another Boxster. I will probably get a 4-door sedan next. I do a lot of highway cruising. I'm building a new house and have a 30 mile commute via fast-paced freeway every day. No curves to enjoy. I'll have the 914 conversion car.

If I get another Porsche it will be either a 356, or an early 911 or maybe even something like a Beck Spyder replica.
boxstr
Hey that is exactly what I was going to add, 550 Beck Spyder. This was at the recent vintage races in the Porsche corral.
Whats up with that 914 next top it with the top up..
The 2.5 Boxster 201hp at 6000rpm 181 ft/lbs torque at 4500 rpm.
My motor failed as many others did, the machining on the heads (or cylinders??)was off enough to allow the cylinder to move and the valves hit the top of the piston and 0 compression. Motors were replaced and not rebuilt, all motors went back to the fatherland.
boxstr
Another
boxstr
The money shot..
Qarl
Or even better than the 550...

http://www.zipp.com.mx/avanti/beck_contact.htm

but I'm afraid to find out how much!
seanery
So Craig, do you think if they were gonna fail, they should have already?
Should I stay away from early engines?

thanks.
Qarl
Seanery:

Are you thinking of putting a Boxster engine in a 914? It sort of sounded like that from your post?

If so, it's going to be hard and take a lot of $, and engineering, and time.

Big obstacles... cooling and radiators, wiring, instrumentation, computers, tranny... fit!
boxstr
Karl is spot on. It would be difficult and probably not easy what twith the cost of trying to get a reliable motor. I would think that most of the early cars have had a bad motors replaced by now. The exception would be the person who put one in a collection, and has 0 miles. The pic that was posted earlier of the 914 in Grermany with the muffler hanging out the back was just that , a muffler hooked up to a 911 six.
But if you want it bad enough anything can be done, and I am sure that there is a Boxster motor being measured right now to see if it will fit into that mid section of a 914.
CCLINBOXSTERVILLE
EdwardBlume
(Go Kings...beat the Lakers !!!!!)

Ha ha ha Ha ha ah ha... no way Mueller. tongue.gif

I dig the Boxster drive. With the top down, good power lots of brakes, tight Porsche styling... what's not to love. I drove a lowered Boxster with stiff springs and it was very cool.

With the dude on the Narrows Bridge, you're going to run into the P-car owner who bought it for the image. True Porsche driving enthusiasts have respect for 914s. Snobs don't.

When I first joined PCA, I got asked what I drive often. Every time I answered a 914, I got a pause, then Oh, roaming look, then... "those are fun." Wrong answer IMO and not worth the time.

On the otherhand, I could spend hours talking to the 356 or 914 folks who love the drive.

Thats what its all about.. the drive. clap56.gif
Elliot_Cannon
Yeah, them Boxters really do suck!! Course if someone wants to trade their Boxter for my 73 914..........? rolling.gif
Cheers, Elliot
DNHunt
Interesting what this started. The thing I felt when I saw that guy yesterday was disbelief. I felt so incredibly happy. Driving my car with the top down in the sun is a real celebration and I kind of feel sorry for the poor guy not experiencing that (at least I'm assuming he wasn't). Maybe it's that the 914 just cries out "enjoy me", after all there aren't too many things in the car to distract you and the sensations aren't muffled by pumps and cushions. What's not to love about it.

Dave
seanery
The boxster motor will fit, but you have to shorten the trailing arms (I think). I missed my opportunity to pick up a motor for a tad bit over $1500 3 weeks ago. I didn't have the cash when it was for sale. I've been told that I can borrow a tranny til I find my own. Shop owner isn't afraid of radiators and wiring.

I think it can be done relatively inexpensively. The biggest cost (I think) will be the transmission.
JFJ914
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Jul 19 2003, 05:17 AM)
The thing I felt when I saw that guy yesterday was disbelief. I felt so incredibly happy. Driving my car with the top down in the sun is a real celebration and I kind of feel sorry for the poor guy not experiencing that (at least I'm assuming he wasn't).

Dave,

For people that don't tan, top down in the sun is agony! Ten minutes and I look like a fully boiled lobster. Sun down, top down is what I say.
Alfred
kellzey, you've got great taste in cars. Your 914 looks much more "interesting" than the Boxster, though. Plus, it looks considerably smaller than the Boxster.

Alfred
Joe Ricard
I really like the Beck 550 spyders. I understand that you can get a Type IV motor in them. Man what a rocket that would be. I would probably part with the 928 for a 550 spyder replica.
Now if the money tree falls through my house then I would probably go for a Replica GT40. smash.gif
Joe Ricard
By The way. 2 weeks till my half way to 80 party. beer.gif
Steve
Beck just came out with a 904 replica.
http://www.beckspeedster.com/pages/870292/index.htm
I wonder what it costs and what are the engine options?

Steve
Aaron Cox
from the beck page:

This leaves the engine/gearbox sourcing to the customer.  901 and 915 gearboxes and any 911 engine will provide a variety of power options
grantsfo
I have both a 1974 914-4 and a 2002 2.7 Boxster. Both are incredible cars. 914 is purer sports car experience while the Boxster offers a very well balanced touring roadster. 914 is the kind of car you throw into a corner and you say "damn hope I make it out the other side" while the Boxster you are removed a bit and know you wont have a problem.

Boxster you push a button and the top is down while 914 you perfect the one person top slide and trunk storage routine.

In the Boxster you dont worry about uphill stretches while in the 914 you are thinking about every shift.

Biggest differnce is when you take the cars on an extended trip. 914 is more like mootorcycle riding. You feel connected with the road, you have no AC, noise drones on and on. Not that the 914 expereince is bad but once you get over 3-4 hours it does get old. While the Boxster has a very comfortable climate controlled enviroment and very supple suspension. The Boxster is a whine and cheese type of car. Perfect for those extended civil weekend outings with your spouse.

The Boxster also gives me the opportunity to turn my nose up to 914's I pass while I have my top up on nice sunny days. Them is us sometimes! wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.