Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fan belt access
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ampex351
Got my7 '73 2.0 delivered. Great little car. However; when I start it there is a thrashing noise or clanking of something??? Otherwise runs great. The noise is coming from the area near the fan and belt. Is there anything to check on that might be wrong? How do I access it? Jack the car up on one side or under the engine?

Thanks!
ndfrigi
take a picture with your phone in that area. Maybe some dirt or tools drop in there or try to use your hand to feel if there is anything there. offcourse engine not running. I’m sure someone will say anything about engine not running. hehehe

Click to view attachment
andreic
You do not need to lift the car up at all to get to the belt or replace it. I had to do this job a couple of weeks ago and it is easy with only some basic tools.

With the engine turned off, you can feel the belt by putting your hand all the way in the front of the engine — you can feel both the fan and the alternator pulleys as shown in the pic above.

If you want to replace the belt, there are two small oval inspections covers made of plastic, on the left front part of the engine tins. One of them is facing forward (as the car goes), one is on the left side, above the cylinder (number 2?) The pic above shows both inspection covers removed, on the right lower side of the pic. Remove these. Through the front inspection panel you can put in a large allen wrench (sorry, can’t remember the size), and loosen the bolt that holds the alternator. Don’t remove it, just loosen it. Through the other inspection hole you can now move the alternator towards the passenger side, allowing you to remove the belt. Put the new belt and tighten it by reversing the above procedure. A large flat head screwdriver is useful to use as a lever.
jim_hoyland
Does the 914 tool kit have that Allen wrench ? Size ?
I had that clanking sound once too; turned out a stubby screwdriver was dropped into the pan under the pulls.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.