Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiper Crank Assembly Refurb
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dereknlee
Is it possible to disassemble the wiper crank linkage assembly?

On mine, one of the pivot shafts has rusted badly (chrome is all gone, bushing worn into an oval shape). The linkages themselves appear to be in okay shape - bit of corrosion that I'd like clean off and then have them re-plated. But it appears that all the joints are permanently riveted together.

Click to view attachment
(Sorry, didn't take a photo of the worst of it, just this snapshot to remind me how it all goes back together)

Search led me to this post where @Eric_Shea refinished an assembly to look better than new. Dumb question, but is it be feasible to plate the metal with the plastic bushings in place? Or would the plating process destroy the plastic?

As for the rusty wiper shaft, is this a standard item that might be able to find new or rob from another Volkswagen? I guess then I'd be looking at welding the shaft onto the link. Or should I just start the search for a better condition assembly?

Thanks,

-Derek
Mikey914
They are riveted. We are making bushings to rebuild these and the only way to do this is to drill out and then tap for a screw and washer to re attach
dereknlee
Darn. Okay, well I guess I could look into using pins like these. Need to decide how much disassembly is worth vs. just cleaning it up as is.

The bigger issue is going to be the wiper shaft. I could clean up the surface, but it will never be as smooth running as the chrome was. The bearing sleeve is wallered out, tried to coerce it with a hammer and punch but it wouldn't move. My friendly family machinist could probably bore it out. But is it worth all the trouble?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Saw this new linkage assembly for another VW, surprisingly cheap and the parts look somewhat similar. No idea if any of the dimensions are remotely close, but still tempting.
ClayPerrine
If you are keeping it bone stock, I suggest getting a used rack assembly that is in better shape. You can also get a wiper rack from a 911 that will have a 3 speed motor on it. You have to cut down the mount tubes with a tubing cutter and put the shafts in from the 914 rack. But you get the 911 3 speed motor.

If you want an upgrade to that, get the wiper rack from a 964. It bolts in and has a heavy duty 3 speed motor on it.

Clay
dereknlee
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 6 2020, 06:50 AM) *

If you are keeping it bone stock, I suggest getting a used rack assembly that is in better shape. You can also get a wiper rack from a 911 that will have a 3 speed motor on it. You have to cut down the mount tubes with a tubing cutter and put the shafts in from the 914 rack. But you get the 911 3 speed motor.

If you want an upgrade to that, get the wiper rack from a 964. It bolts in and has a heavy duty 3 speed motor on it.

Clay

Sounds like a good call. There are a number of mid 70's 911 assemblies on eBay right now that look like they have identical linkages (the cad plated cross bar is different, but I could re-use mine).

Thanks,

-Derek
bdstone914
@dereknlee
' date='May 6 2020, 06:42 AM' post='2812180']
Darn. Okay, well I guess I could look into using pins like these. Need to decide how much disassembly is worth vs. just cleaning it up as is.

The bigger issue is going to be the wiper shaft. I could clean up the surface, but it will never be as smooth running as the chrome was. The bearing sleeve is wallered out, tried to coerce it with a hammer and punch but it wouldn't move. My friendly family machinist could probably bore it out. But is it worth all the trouble?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Saw this new linkage assembly for another VW, surprisingly cheap and the parts look somewhat similar. No idea if any of the dimensions are remotely close, but still tempting.
[/quote]

I have a bunch of racks.
Will need to pull to cross tube to inspect the shafts which can get worn.
Eric_Shea
Plating does not affect rubber or plastic.
Mikey914
This is where the bushings we make go -
https://www.stoddard.com/catalog/product/vi.../category/2278/
914werke
QUOTE(dereknlee @ May 6 2020, 07:12 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 6 2020, 06:50 AM) *

Clay

Sounds like a good call. There are a number of mid 70's 911 assemblies on eBay right now that look like they have identical linkages (the cad plated cross bar is different, but I could re-use mine).

Thanks,

-Derek

Derek I have several assemblies local that are infinity better shape than that one,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.