Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 2.0 Pertronix Electronic Ignition Question (Solved)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nojoah
Hey everyone - new member here both to forums and 914's (Have owned an 83 sc for a while though)

I purchased a 1974 2.0 locally in my area last fall and I am just now getting it out to start doing some work. The car is in awesome shape with no rust what-so-ever apart from a bit of surface rust here and there. The car runs great as well but for some reason suffers from a hesitation right at around 3500-4000 rpm in any gear. My plan is to go through the ignition system and replace anything that is worn while also adding a pertronix ignitor II. I have already ordered the ignitor after some discussion with a lady at Pelican Parts but I just want to make sure I ordered an appropriate system now that I actually have the car out and can see the distributor. I ordered the Ignitor II meant for cars with original vacuum advance which I assumed would be standard on the 2.0. After getting the car out I noticed that the distributor is only fed by one vacuum line (the retard I'm assuming?) Pertronix only has one part number on their catalogue while pelican and AA both have two however? I ordered the 91847V which is the correct one shown on the catalogue but this correlates to the part meant for cars with vacuum advance on both other sites. Can someone with some prior knowledge of this give me some clarification here? I'm just trying to make sure I have the right part and dizzy here before I go and start installing. (The car still has the D-jet if that's important)

Thanks.
Nojoah
Actually just did some research on Pertronix and found that the 91847A ignitor II is meant for the 009 and 050 distributors. Im struggling to find some info on which distributor is in a stock 1974 2.0 with D-jet? Cant really access the car right now so I can't look at the code. Anyone able to tell me which dizzy I may have?
76-914
IIRC, it used to be P847V. I think they have a newer model that won't burn out if you leave the key "on". beerchug.gif
Nojoah
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 6 2020, 09:37 PM) *

IIRC, it used to be P847V. I think they have a newer model that won't burn out if you leave the key "on". beerchug.gif

Hmm okay. I'm just reading some conflicting info between Pelican and the Pertronix site. I ordered the 91847V which is meant for vacuum advance which I do not believe my 74' has. Any ideas if this will still work? The 91847A appears to work with the 205, 009, and 050 distributors but Pertronix only states the 009 and 050....

If I'm correct I believe the 74 2.0 has the 205?
porschetub
QUOTE(Nojoah @ May 7 2020, 01:32 PM) *

Actually just did some research on Pertronix and found that the 91847A ignitor II is meant for the 009 and 050 distributors. Im struggling to find some info on which distributor is in a stock 1974 2.0 with D-jet? Cant really access the car right now so I can't look at the code. Anyone able to tell me which dizzy I may have?

I don't know the numbers but do know the difference is in the pickup base plates,the 09 and 050 have a larger base plate and different mounting location,the 914 vacuum unit uses a smaller base plate to clear the vacuum advance control linkage rod,again the mounting position is different.
Yes the ignitor II will not fizz out with the key left on and also has reverse polarity protection,correct coil choice is also important.
Nojoah
QUOTE(porschetub @ May 6 2020, 09:54 PM) *

I don't know the numbers but do know the difference is in the pickup base plates,the 09 and 050 have a larger base plate and different mounting location,the 914 vacuum unit uses a smaller base plate to clear the vacuum advance control linkage rod,again the mounting position is different.
Yes the ignitor II will not fizz out with the key left on and also has reverse polarity protection,correct coil choice is also important.

Thanks a lot. If I'm correct neither the 090 or 050 came stock in a 2.0 d-jet car?
914werke
QUOTE(Nojoah @ May 6 2020, 07:00 PM) *
Thanks a lot. If I'm correct neither the 090 or 050 came stock in a 2.0 d-jet car?
No.
You dont mention if your car is stock or converted to carbs?
If stock you have the correct part. Dont look back
Nojoah
QUOTE(914werke @ May 6 2020, 10:30 PM) *

No.

I think I've got it figured out thanks a lot, car is stock. From what I've read it seems that in 1974 the distributor was the 205 with the vacuum advance but it simply was not connected. So the ignition made for the vacuum distributor should work.

Thanks for the help guys.
Tdskip
@Nojoah - welcome!
Nojoah
QUOTE(Tdskip @ May 7 2020, 01:16 PM) *

@Nojoah - welcome!

Thank You!
Rob-O
QUOTE(914werke @ May 6 2020, 06:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Nojoah @ May 6 2020, 07:00 PM) *
No.

Agreed. The 1847 is the right number for our cars. The ‘9’ in front I believe just denotes the Ignitor II.

When you install, just make sure you install the magnet on the distributor shaft in the correct orientation. It *looks* like it fits on the four cammed section of the distributor shaft any ok’ way. But in reality it will only fit all the way down the cammed section ONE way. If not it sits up too high and will give you issues getting the rotor on correctly. If it’s not sitting all the way down on the shaft, spin it 90 degrees and try pushing it down again. One of the four directions will get it to seat. Don’t force it, you can break that magnet fairly easily...ask me how I know.
Nojoah
QUOTE(Rob-O @ May 7 2020, 10:04 PM) *

Agreed. The 1847 is the right number for our cars. The ‘9’ in front I believe just denotes the Ignitor II.

When you install, just make sure you install the magnet on the distributor shaft in the correct orientation. It *looks* like it fits on the four cammed section of the distributor shaft any ok’ way. But in reality it will only fit all the way down the cammed section ONE way. If not it sits up too high and will give you issues getting the rotor on correctly. If it’s not sitting all the way down on the shaft, spin it 90 degrees and try pushing it down again. One of the four directions will get it to seat. Don’t force it, you can break that magnet fairly easily...ask me how I know.

Thanks Rob. I definitely figured out the magnet... after many attempts and much confusion as to why the rotor would not seat... also doesn't help when Pelican accidentally sends you two ignitions blink.gif . Guess what - A 6 spline magnet from a 6 cylinder ignition does not fit on a 4 spline shaft from the 4 cylinder.. Took me a while to read the box bs.gif Many ignitions were installed and taken out today.. but end of story the car runs beautifully.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.