Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: this nose... what is it?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
snflupigus
Ok, I'm no expert on this so bringing it to you all

user posted image

as you can see this 74 911 widebody has the same nose as the chalon conversion I have on the 914. I knew the chalon was modeled after something but what exactly? A stock nose? One company aftermarket for both 911 and 914?

If I had the 13k the guy wants for this car I would be the happiest guy in the world.
I dont, so what I'm thinking is that if I know where i can get this nose for another 911 someday, I'll eventually be able to recreate this car I now have a wicked urge to have.

Thanks for the info.
redshift
That's a 930S. Like mid 80s style for a slant.

I THINK

M
ArtechnikA
the Chalon was just modeled after the '74+ 911, with an extended air dam. a bit like the 934, but i believe the Chalon came first. the inspiration was probably the 911RSR.

if you really like that look, the fiberglass '74 "update" parts from my long-hood 911 are available cheap.... the back has been off for a couple of years, the front will be coming off soon. back is perfect, front needs a bit of repair.

there is no lack of sources for glass replacement parts for 911's; Getty is still my favorite.
Dead Air
a quick search on goooooogle says, seller quoted

Certain to Appreciate in Value with only 36K Certified Documented Miles! Factory 930 Slant Nose Option #505 was a $29,559.00 option
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Dave Eddy @ Jul 8 2005, 09:34 AM)
Factory 930 Slant Nose Option #505 was a $29,559.00 option

there's no question that it existed; i've seen them.
the question is -when- they existed.
what i recall is that the Chalons came out in about 1975 or '76. not much later than '78 for sure - that's when the 935's appeaared with their shaved headlight look.

the factory slant-nose (which echoed the 935 race-car look) was basically just special fenders. the bumper was a standard part, as was the air dam/valance/spoiler.
Dead Air
IMHO, I liked the exhaust luvours (SP?) louvers? that were seen on a few of them.
redshift
That 911 has the whole kit, except the fenders.

hijacked.gif

Keep your eyes open for Miami Vice reruns, the first two seasons feature Crockett in a silver/green/purple/blue 935 occasionally, and that car belongs to a buddy of mine.

burnout.gif yiKes!

M
snflupigus
my chalon is the 2nd version... it is identical to this car's nose.

the slant nose bottom air dam is not out as far as the one on the car i posted or on my 914.

still not clear on what this 911 i posted has... stock front end?
redshift
No, just another version of someone's idea of an S nose.

I call it S because that is what that kind of front end was called forever in catalogs.

M
Joe Bob
Ummm, the engine is IN the back.....
Dead Air
QUOTE (Manfred Z @ Jul 9 2005, 06:11 PM)

[QUOTE]

I'll talk slower for you.

Here's a definition:
The escape or release of vaporous waste material, as from an engine.
The fumes or gases so released.
A duct or pipe through which waste material is emitted.
An apparatus for drawing out noxious air or waste material by means of a partial vacuum

Quote from porscheforum.com:
These cars are some of the most easily recognizable of any 911 variant , distinguished by their flat , front fenders , with louvres punched into their top surfsces(sic)

Dead Air
As some might clearly note, the louvres on the fine auto mobile, posted prevously by your humble servant, are not intended to "exhaust" the gases that are produced from a reciprocating, internal combustion engine. But are, in fact, located where they are to take advantage of the low pressure created by the airstream as it rushes across the hood or bonnet. This graceful modifycation to the archetecture facilitates the entry of additional cooling air into the large inlet or duct located on the front of the car without creating an area of high pressure inside the car and "choking" the entry of said air.
Within that controled slipstream is often located a "heat exchanger", frequently a sealed container with a honey comb structure filled with a liquid medium (e.g. radiator) provided to control the excesive heat generated by an internal combustion engine. That liquid my be a water/ glycol solution, which is pumped through a plenum or "jacket" surrounding the engine. Or it could be a lubricating oil which is then subsequently cooled by the passage of air.
Either way, the location of the engine (front, midships or aft) has little to do with the location of the louvers or the heat exchanger.
Most observers are startled by the appearance of these details due to their limited experience. The economy of mass prodution automobiles precludes this expense on cars intended for passage on public roadways.
For additional information on exhaust louvres please, search "ventilated disc brakes"
This lesson is concluded.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (snflupigus @ Jul 9 2005, 09:41 PM)
still not clear on what this 911 i posted has... stock front end?

not stock, just somebody's spoiler update part.

BTW - not sure why you think that's a '74, unless you have specific iinformation on that car. it's had a number of updates, not least of which are tail, hubs, and Turbo flares...
snflupigus
Ok, so now I know its not stock but aftermarket update....

WHO'S update>>> Again, i'd like to be able to recreate this car when i have the available funds someday.

ArtechnikA
QUOTE (snflupigus @ Jul 10 2005, 12:42 PM)
http://www.best-carclassifieds.com/classic...Detail-6546.htm

okay, i agree that's what it says, but i remain skeptical...
there is no VIN to check...

people have done stranger things, but recreating a full metal wide-body Turbo-look on a car from fully two years before the first factory Turbo -- including the Carrera hubs - is huge work. one of those dime-on-the-dollar deals.
snflupigus
well all i know is that it is THE car that comes to mind when I think 911. Even if I'd never seen that car.... thats what I want my 911 to look like. wink.gif

Maybe I should put the 356 up for sale? Anyone........ smile.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE (Dave Eddy @ Jul 9 2005, 08:07 PM)
QUOTE (Manfred Z @ Jul 9 2005, 06:11 PM)

[QUOTE]

I'll talk slower for you.

Here's a definition:
The escape or release of vaporous waste material, as from an engine.
The fumes or gases so released.
A duct or pipe through which waste material is emitted.
An apparatus for drawing out noxious air or waste material by means of a partial vacuum

Quote from porscheforum.com:
These cars are some of the most easily recognizable of any 911 variant , distinguished by their flat , front fenders , with louvres punched into their top surfsces(sic)

The top pic is a wide body (flares) an impact front bumper and an add on under bumper piece for an extra oil cooler.....YOUR description is of a slant nose that has pop up head lights like the 914.

The slant nose was an expensive option....but not one that I like. They don't seem to get that much of a premium on the used market over stock front ends.
db9146
The front lower valence looks like a Ruf piece, right?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.