Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another tire size question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flat4guy
I have a 71 with the stock 8 slot steel wheel and hub cap, I am running 185/65/15 tires now but would like a chunkier tire. Can I go up to a 205/55 or 205/60 or something similar? Thank you.Click to view attachment
914e
QUOTE(flat4guy @ May 7 2020, 08:58 PM) *

I have a 71 with the stock 8 slot steel wheel and hub cap, I am running 185/65/15 tires now but would like a chunkier tire. Can I go up to a 205/55 or 205/60 or something similar? Thank you.Click to view attachment

It depends on the car. The problem seems to alway be the rear. Have one mounted and check it on each corner.
Mine were off about 5/8" After working on my fenders over a weekend I was able to the clearance about the same on both side. I rolled the lip some on the rear to be safe and in the end went with a 195. This was all before I painted, I think I could have done it painted but I would have been sweating bullets.
mlindner
195/50 fit nicely, look great. Ran them for 15 years. Mark
BENBRO02
I had 205-50-15s and the acceleration was great but the ride was harsh. I switched to 205-55-15s and I love them. I got 300 treadwear rating so they stick like glue in the corners and the ride is much improved.
Coondog
Every 914 that I have owned wore 205-55-15s. Just go to America’s tire and have them test fit on your car, if it doesn’t work then resize. I would have them order a couple sizes. There’s no cost to you for this.
914Sixer
My all time favorite is 185 70 15 BUT they are available from just one or two sources and expensive now.
Tdskip
I may be in the minority here but I would strongly encourage you to think twice about the experience that you want to have with the car. It’s easy, in my opinion/experience, that you can negatively impact the driving experience by putting too wide of a tire on the car. I ruined a Bugeye that way, and on an early and otherwise stock car you could lose a bit of the lightness of the drive if you end up with 205.

Money where my mouth is: I took the big wheels off the 912 that came with it and it’s back on stock rims.

mepstein
QUOTE(Tdskip @ May 8 2020, 09:38 AM) *

I may be in the minority here but I would strongly encourage you to think twice about the experience that you want to have with the car. It’s easy, in my opinion/experience, that you can negatively impact the driving experience by putting too wide of a tire on the car. I ruined a Bugeye that way, and on an early and otherwise stock car you could lose a bit of the lightness of the drive if you end up with 205.

Money where my mouth is: I took the big wheels off the 912 that came with it and it’s back on stock rims.

agree.gif Everyone thinks you need to over tire a 914. Modern tires have lots of grip and wider = heavier.
StarBear
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 8 2020, 09:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ May 8 2020, 09:38 AM) *

agree.gif Everyone thinks you need to over tire a 914. Modern tires have lots of grip and wider = heavier.

agree.gif agree.gif Yeah, what they said. But I don't drive it (or myself) too hard these days, focusing on enjoying the casual driving and sound experiences.
ClayPerrine
We have 205/65-15 BF Goodrich tires on our factory six. It rides nice and handles decently with no rubbing.

Jamie
QUOTE(flat4guy @ May 7 2020, 07:58 PM) *

You didn't mention the width of the stock steel wheels, either 4.5 or 5.5 makes a huge difference in tire selection. I'm running 205x65x15 on my 5.5 rims, giving very close to original tire diameter.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the early cars usually did not have a 5.5 wheel. However if you do, you could use a high speed rated 195/65x15

QUOTE(flat4guy @ May 7 2020, 08:58 PM) *

Cairo94507
I put Yokohama 195x55x15 on my Six and they look nice. I definitely did not want any rubbing issues that blistered paint. beerchug.gif
burton73
QUOTE(Tdskip @ May 8 2020, 06:38 AM) *

agree.gif

Bob B
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 8 2020, 08:00 AM) *

the early cars usually did not have a 5.5 wheel. However if you do, you could use a high speed rated 195/65x15

With a 5" wheel (which you probably have), a 195mm section width would be pushing it. 165-175 is ideal. 185 is the max recommended.

Tire width vs wheel width

A 195 70 15 is spot on to the diameter of the original tire (165 82 15). A 185 70 15 is about 1/2" less in diameter (2%). Your speedometer would still be pretty accurate. Any lower profile and you can forget about using your speedometer, you'll be racking up more miles than actual, and (IMHO) the car will look goofy with all that space in the wheel well.

Tire size calculator
horizontally-opposed
Folks have a point about going too wide, but I don't think 205 crosses that barrier. Type of tire really matters.

My 914 probably never drove better than on 205/60 A-008R TUs and their replacement, 205/55 BFG Comp T/A3s. Then came a set of Yokohama AVS ES/100s that were awful—both on my 914 and my daily at the time, a WRX. The square shoulders might have maximized maximum grip, but feel on the way up there was vague and sketchy. Probably the worst performance tires I've ever had. Some people love them. Go figure.

I think 195/65, 205/55, and 205/60 are great sizes for a narrow 914. Running 185/70 Avon vintage racing tires all around right now, but the honest truth is I miss the feeling of the car on A-008s or those soft BFGs. I suspect Michelin's Pilot Sport AS/3 would be the ideal tire for a 914 street car in terms of grip, looks, comfort, etc, but the sizes aren't right.

Good luck in your search!
TJB/914
I just checked my rear tire size 205-60-15 and never a rub.
I need to change out my old 15-year old tires.
Tom
flat4guy
Thank you everyone - this helps. I will pull a wheel and check the width but may try a 205/55 or 60. We live in the foothills between Sacramento and Tahoe so a lot of fun roads - nothing crazy, just lightly spirited.
I went to a 195/60/15 on my original Fuchs on my 912 and it feels much better with a little more width.
Dave97
I also went with 205/65/15 and it works great. Very close to stock height
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.