Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine/Suspension/Brake Selection for Restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Marks356
Hi all,

I'm dusting off a car I've been sitting on for a while. Actually been in the family, sitting, for 44 years. It's a '72 1.7 liter with the appearance group (Willow Green with a brown leatherette interior) that came off the road in '76 due to an engine fire.

This will be my first restoration. I'd like to go with a 70's 911 motor/transmission. Past that, I'm not sure what to do with brakes, suspension, chassis stiffening.

I'm hoping to find out what the "hot" setup is these days that most guys are going with.

Just for reference, the car is in decent shape, never been hit. Interior is perfect (I want to leave it like it is), but the body is in serious need of paint and there are no some quarter sized rust holes in a couple of spots from its age. Doors open and close fine.

I don't want to get too radical with changes; I'd like to keep it all 70's Porsche stuff that goes into it. Also, I'm thinking of doing the steel GT fender flares with something like 7" & 9" Fuchs.

One last thing. I should share what I intend to do with the car when it's done... road/autocross/drivers-ed at Road America. Maybe show it at events where there's no serious judging. It's not going to be a race car and it's not going to be a national PCA concourse candidate.

Thanks,
Mark
mepstein
We got you covered with conversion parts. Tank, heat exchangers, oil lines, exhaust, etc. 914-6Werkshop.com
Based in Burlington, WI

welcome.png
porschetub
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 9 2020, 07:55 AM) *

We got you covered with conversion parts. Tank, heat exchangers, oil lines, exhaust, etc. 914-6Werkshop.com
Based in Burlington, WI

welcome.png

Mark you forgot to mention you sell a fair few 911 engines too.
mepstein
QUOTE(porschetub @ May 8 2020, 05:21 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 9 2020, 07:55 AM) *

Based in Burlington, WI

welcome.png

Mark you forgot to mention you sell a fair few 911 engines too.

Yes, thanks. I have a 3.2 coming up but have to check about any smaller engines in running condition.
tvdinnerbythepool
welcome.png

Just re-did my brakes and suspension. Pelican has tons of Brake Parts. Check out 914Rubber.com for Master Cylinder upgrades as well as Rear Springs. I'm running their 100lb springs and used there rubber to rebuild front and rear suspension/bushings etc.

Tons of cool people/vendors on here, you're in good company beerchug.gif
porschetub
welcome.png lots of 6 conversion guys on here,don't know the OP's budget but you can do a conversion for reasonable money if you buy the parts wisely and DIY it ,if not paying someone to do it makes little sense for the end result/value unless its a real keeper and you use it lots to justify the expense.
My car was a restored 74 roller and already set up for a 6cyl and I had a good running complete motor (71 2.2T ) that I bought years ago for peanuts back then.
I purchased from the PO custom 911 headers ,factory oil tank with most oil line hoses and a muffler but had to buy a whole shitload of other stuff...do research and you will find it is a serious amount of money,but they are a blast to drive,good luck.
Cairo94507
welcome.png Welcome to our madness. What an exciting project you are beginning. You are way ahead in that you are starting with a good car to begin with. We have plenty of vendors who supply excellent parts and knowledge. We have a lot of build threads so you can see what other members have built and the problems/challenges they encountered. Read, read, read.

Then when you are ready, I would draft a list of the project broken down into the component parts of the car. Chassis, Body, suspension, electrical, brakes, engine, transaxle, engine cooling system, wheels/tires, fuel system, etc.

I would take good detailed photos of the entire car, inside, outside, top and bottom. Then prepare your space for disassembly. Have twice the lighting you think you need. Have tubs, ziplock baggies and tags for parts. Tag/label and bag everything. Be detailed in the description. Do not discard anything including bolts/screws/washers/nuts.

Parts you know you will not need for a while get them out of your way and stored safely so you do not need to move them or step over them a hundred times. Keep the work place clean and safe. What do they say? Most accidents happen at home? There is a reason for that.

Start sourcing the most difficult stuff to find or get first. It only gets harder to find as time marches on. The sooner you get that stuff the better. Oh, a note of caution - beware of scammers. They exist and occasionally one will land on this site and have amazingly rare and perfect parts for sale. Be very careful with people who are brand new members with no post counts who have that perfect set of original 914-6 rear calipers (just an example) and only want $500 cash including shipping, etc. 99.99% of our people are great, honest, knowledgable and hard-working people. But every now and again some low-life enters the scene to try to rip us off.

Finally, do it right so you only have to do it once. That means finding the right person or company to do the job. I am thinking chrome plating, metal repair/fabrication, etc.

Keep a journal of the build with who you sent stuff to and when. Losing track of parts is maddening. As a build progresses and time passes, it is easy to forget what went where.

Anyway, you get the idea. Organization is the key to seeing the project through to the end without going crazy. Have fun and enjoy the process. beerchug.gif Michael
Toby
Hi Mark,

I would like to be in the position of using a 914 to re-power but the newer beetle is readily available for my "914 inspired" project. I'm naming it "bug out".

I went with the Pontiac 3800 V6 and transmission from a front wheel drive. Position is perfect with the engine just in front of the tranny (like my long lost 914's).

I found an SSEi with supercharger, so power should be abundant.

I plan on using all Pontiac Bonneville wheel hubs and front brakes, so the donor gives up much more than just engine and tranny. Running gear will be nearly standard GM, just in different positions. Heavy brakes from the front of the GM all around

I doubt that something so radical is what you mean, but the reliability of a GM 3800 V6 and ready to go tranny,....well... gives you something to think about.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.