Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Its new(bie) video Saturday!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
If you're still paying people to change your oil, watch this video. Also...how to not break your engine while cleaning the strainer wink.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drmeeVKdGrk

Enjoy...
911GT2
It's becoming routine... On Saturday night, check for the new @cuddy_K vid. beerchug.gif Thanks
iankarr
Trying to be regular. At my age, that's important.
911GT2
lol-2.gif
Same here...
iankarr
reposted. sorry...had a render error in the program AND a power outage. I'm buying a lottery ticket wink.gif
73-914
not bother , I'm hitting it tonight

Nice video , I enjoyed it
Big Len
I enjoyed it too. The perfect voice for voice over work.
Stltri
Nice video Ian!

Next is valve adjustment? smile.gif
Superhawk996
smilie_pokal.gif

Great content as always.

Had to laugh about all the nice to have items and the beautifully clean and well equipped garage Ian. What a nice work space! I'm jealous.

Here's how I know I'm old:

Gloves -- didn't have them back in the day. We all just let it got on our hands. Dirty nails were a sign of somebody that knew how to work. Eveuntually you learn to be creative with body positioning so as to avoid getting much on you, or worse yet having it run down your arm. happy11.gif Latex gloves were sometimes available but they were so fragile. I don't remember thin nitrile gloves being available anywhere.

Torque wrench -- yeah right. There was a time early on in my life where all I could afford was a set of K-mart sockets. sad.gif Torque wrench isn't necessary but on the other hand -- some sense of experience about how much torque a faster could take was. This was always learned by stripping a few as you got that experience. headbang.gif Don't get me wrong, I love and belive in torque wrenches. I just couldn't afford one when I was doing my 1st oil changes.

Hydrualic pump jack. That didn't come until years later. Old scissor jack from an old domestic car from junkyard. If it could support a 2 ton land yaht, no issues lifting a 914.

Jack stands? 4x4 lumber blocked up used to do the trick. Yes this was dumb. Luckily I survived.

Oil filter wrench. Remember those old band wrenches? What garbage. barf.gif When I bought my first one that fit the filter properly. It was magical. piratenanner.gif

Anyway great post. pray.gif

For those without all the nice to have stuff. Soldier on. Do an oil change. Get started - you'll be glad you did.

FlacaProductions
Really nicely done - thank you!
brcacti
How important is it to have a new strainer gasket?
iankarr
Depends on how much you like leaks smile.gif

Seriously, you may be able to get away with reusing the gaskets, but probably not the crush washer. It all comes as a cheap kit anyway so...
911GT2
QUOTE(Stltri @ May 10 2020, 06:21 AM) *

Nice video Ian!

Next is valve adjustment? smile.gif

agree.gif

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 10 2020, 06:53 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

Great content as always.

Had to laugh about all the nice to have items and the beautifully clean and well equipped garage Ian. What a nice work space! I'm jealous.

Gloves -- didn't have them back in the day. We all just let it got on our hands. Dirty nails were a sign of somebody that knew how to work. Eveuntually you learn to be creative with body positioning so as to avoid getting much on you, or worse yet having it run down your arm. happy11.gif Latex gloves were sometimes available but they were so fragile. I don't remember thin nitrile gloves being available anywhere.

Torque wrench -- yeah right. There was a time early on in my life where all I could afford was a set of K-mart sockets. sad.gif Torque wrench isn't necessary but on the other hand -- some sense of experience about how much torque a faster could take was. This was always learned by stripping a few as you got that experience. headbang.gif Don't get me wrong, I love and belive in torque wrenches. I just couldn't afford one when I was doing my 1st oil changes.

Hydrualic pump jack. That didn't come until years later. Old scissor jack from an old domestic car from junkyard. If it could support a 2 ton land yaht, no issues lifting a 914.

Jack stands? 4x4 lumber blocked up used to do the trick. Yes this was dumb. Luckily I survived.

Oil filter wrench. Remember those old band wrenches? What garbage. barf.gif When I bought my first one that fit the filter properly. It was magical. piratenanner.gif

For those without all the nice to have stuff. Soldier on. Do an oil change. Get started - you'll be glad you did.

Although I understand what you're saying. A small torque wrench like that is literally les then $20. So can be had for very cheap.

Much the same with your other points.

Although I do agree on the gloves, I don't like to work with them either. I just rub with a nailbrush afterwards for the 'office look'...
Coondog
Great video for a 4 how about one for a 3.2, lots of us running that engine.
iankarr
QUOTE(Coondog @ May 10 2020, 06:45 PM) *

Great video for a 4 how about one for a 3.2, lots of us running that engine.

Sure! Just get me a 3.2. For about a week wink.gif
iankarr
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 10 2020, 10:53 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

Great content as always.

Hahaha. Have you ever been to a film set? It's always smaller and dirtier than you think wink.gif. I just know how to work the angles. Gloves?...it always feels better without them...but they offer good protection, if you know what I mean wink.gif. The other modern conveniences are just that...conveniences. But they don't cost much and make the experience safer and more fun. Especially the torque wrench on that damn strainer bolt!

Thanks for watching and the kind words...

Ian
914_7T3
Thanks for the videos @cuddy_k

Did it just like you said, and even gurgled as @Big Len suggested. Bye bye break in oil, used Brad Penn 20W 50 semi synthetic with ZDDP!

beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mtndawg
Good video. I also changed out break in oil and cleaned the strainer this weekend. Perfect timing. I believe the orientation of the washer on the strainer cover is supposed to have the seam facing upward? Maybe a good call out in the video.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.