Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Homemade Exhaust Gas Analyzer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tvdinnerbythepool
Looking to make a Exhaust Gas Analyzer, thought it would be a cool DIY project.

Looks like the basic elements would be a 4 wire o2 sensor and an air fuel gauge.

Anyone on here have any experience making one?

I know it will not be as accurate as a shop, and that's just fine!
bdstone914

[/quote]

What good is it if not accurate?
ClayPerrine
Find a used LM-1 on ebay. https://innovatemotorsports.com/press/pr-lm1.php

They are older, and no longer made. But they still work great. They are \eEasier than making one. And it comes with an adapter you can stick in the tailpipe if you don't have a O2 bung in your exhaust.

If you just want the challenge of making one, then go for it. Could be fun!

tvdinnerbythepool
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 11 2020, 06:31 AM) *

Find a used LM-1 on ebay. https://innovatemotorsports.com/press/pr-lm1.php

They are older, and no longer made. But they still work great. They are \eEasier than making one. And it comes with an adapter you can stick in the tailpipe if you don't have a O2 bung in your exhaust.

If you just want the challenge of making one, then go for it. Could be fun!

Thanks! @clayperrine beerchug.gif
914e
There is many digital air/fuel ratio meters available summit racing is a good place the start. I would hope they are better than what we had in shops in the 80's
Krieger
Pelican had plans for building one yourself 20 years ago. Maybe it's still on the site. Used a single wire O2 sensor. It was fun to make and cost about $12 in parts. Sensor was $35. I used it to tune my 2.3 four.
Mark Henry
14point7 SLC free is $95 kit, or $45 without the 4.9 LSU lambda.
But unless you have the connector crimps, wire, heat shrink tube, etc., you will spend close to the entry level pro made meters.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 11 2020, 11:00 AM) *

But unless you have the connector crimps, wire, heat shrink tube, etc., you will spend close to the entry level pro made meters.

BTW the 14point7 SLC is open source, IIRC the blueprint is on the site for free.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(tvdinnerbythepool @ May 10 2020, 12:24 PM) *

Looking to make a Exhaust Gas Analyzer, thought it would be a cool DIY project.

Looks like the basic elements would be a 4 wire o2 sensor and an air fuel gauge.

Anyone on here have any experience making one?

Fully aregee with other posts on WHY?

But having said that I like the spirit. Arduino and/or Rasberry Pi would be my starting point.
Retroracer
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 11 2020, 08:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 11 2020, 11:00 AM) *

BTW the 14point7 SLC is open source, IIRC the blueprint is on the site for free.

Thx for info on this product, definitely looks like a cost effective option. It would seem accuracy is limited by calibration of the LSU sensor at around 1% - which for me running 50 year old carbs - is more than enough to be a useful indicator of tune, and just as interesting to track any gross variation over time......

Watching this thread <reaches for popcorn>,

- Tony
tvdinnerbythepool
Thanks for those of you with great suggestions! Lots of good choices,
That 14point7 kit looks very enticing. aktion035.gif

For those other people...why the heck not? confused24.gif Just trying to fill the hours with something fun to do! Feel free to not chime in.
Mark Henry
I've thought about renting out the 14point7 SLC as I have the perfect temporary install harness, it's heavy duty, a real easy to install, and almost a stealth install.
I could stock it as a kit with a jet ream kit, extra jets, weld in SS bungs and plugs etc., cost for the parts would be A la carte.

But I don't know if it's worth it.
I've built several SLC's now, that I sold to local customers and was thinking of offering them for sale here, but the profit margin was too slim for time invested.
jd74914
QUOTE(tvdinnerbythepool @ May 11 2020, 01:54 PM) *

Thanks for those of you with great suggestions! Lots of good choices,
That 14point7 kit looks very enticing. aktion035.gif

The stuff from 14point7 is awesome BTW. Very happy with everything I've gotten from them; much more so than anything from Innovate. Significantly higher reliability. Don't waste your money on anything from Innovate. I've never built an SLC but could be a fun project. smile.gif

BTW: you're just talking about a portable oxygen sensor. Real EG analyzers directly measure CO, CO2, and UHCs (plus other species depending on cost).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.