Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tail shift to side shift
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
n2j2ryan
So I have been reading a lot of the posts about converting a tail shift to a side shift, and finally realized that the articles were about actually converting a tail shift to a side shift and getting worried (that should give you an idea of my mechanical prowess). I do have complete linkage from both a tail and side shift transmission. From what I can figure out, besides replacing the bushing all around, the only piece that I would be missing would be a conversion bushing at the firewall? Is that correct? Is there any difference between the actual shifters?
Thanks for any help.
mepstein
Shifters are different. So are both the small and large shift rods, firewall bushing, cross bar, motor mounts and 2 engine tins under engine.
n2j2ryan
I am pretty sure that kit is if you want to convert your tail shift to side shift, not for installing a side shift into an early car. Could be wrong.
QUOTE(9146C @ May 10 2020, 06:18 PM) *
n2j2ryan
Thanks, that was about what I was thinking. I have everything but the firewall bushing so I will get one of those ordered.

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 10 2020, 06:19 PM) *

Shifters are different. So are both the small and large shift rods, firewall bushing, cross bar, motor mounts and 2 engine tins under engine.
mepstein
QUOTE(n2j2ryan @ May 10 2020, 09:38 PM) *

Thanks, that was about what I was thinking. I have everything but the firewall bushing so I will get one of those ordered.

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 10 2020, 06:19 PM) *

I think what you want is called a conversion bushing, not just the normal bushing for a sideshift car.
914werke
Neil if LMK if I can help. smile.gif
bdstone914
@n2j2ryan

Here is a picture of the external parts you need. The shifter is needed.
To convert t hff e trans you need the shift console, internal shift rods and forks. Tail cone is optional. You can plug the tail shift rid hole in the tail cone.
You also need a passenger side warm air guide form a 73-74.
bdstone914
@mepstein

Only the left warm air guide is different.

bdstone914
@n2j2ryan
' date='May 10 2020, 05:57 PM' post='2813792']
So I have been reading a lot of the posts about converting a tail shift to a side shift, and finally realized that the articles were about actually converting a tail shift to a side shift and getting worried (that should give you an idea of my mechanical prowess). I do have complete linkage from both a tail and side shift transmission. From what I can figure out, besides replacing the bushing all around, the only piece that I would be missing would be a conversion bushing at the firewall? Is that correct? Is there any difference between the actual shifters?
Thanks for any help.
[/quote]

Here is a picture of the linkage parts needed to convert to a side shift.
The only missing part it the firewall conversion bushing.
bdstone914
Here are the rear shift cover and bellows needed too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.